An update would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

I know I'm taking a risk of getting scolded, but I believe there should be some kind of update or communication from Uniden about what's next for the x36 series of scanners. When I was among the first to get my 436, the decode and reception of a P25 simulcast system was virtually flawless, and worked far better than the 396xt. After "updating" Sentinel I noticed the ability of the 436 to properly decode the 700/800Mhz P25 simulcast systems was diminished. I hesitated to "update" to the latest firmware version because some experienced negative results. After "updating" to the latest firmware, the ability to decode digital is even further reduced. Additionally, the volume produced by what can be decoded drops very low at times. So now i have to sift through hundreds, if not thousands of posts, to see if there are instructions on how to revert back to the original firmware that worked. In the meantime, in the spirit of good customer service, I think Uniden should:
1) Let x36 customers know if any kind of update or "fix" can be expected at all. I understand the "proprietary" argument, but at least give us the courtesy of acknowledging whether we can expect this, or take our losses and move on.
2) If a fix to these problems is being developed, can we expect it this year, next year, 2017, etc?
3) If the promised features of "analyze mode" are just not possible, please be honest.
I have always liked Uniden scanners, and preferred them over GRE. I understand manufacturers sometimes build lemons. Based on my experience, and the experiences of others, I'm beginning to think the x36 line is one of those "lemons," or was rushed to market without being fully developed.
So, Uniden, please let us know if we can expect fixes, or if they are just not possible. I'd rather have an honest answer and an apology rather than getting the silent treatment.
Thank you,
BG..

ButchGone

10 seconds to lockdown of thread lol
Well, I'm aware of Siren and the iPhone app updates. I'm talking about updates to the 436 to restore digital decode abilities. My experience, and plenty of others, is that the latest "updates" degraded performance and/or sensitivity. I'm also referring to the still non-existant "Analyze" function. I'm patient, and certainly not complaining - I just think some communication that lets us know whether something may or may not be done about these issues. Cheers!
BG..

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Do they know there is a decode issue to fix? This is the first im hearing of it.

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
An update on the analyze feature would be much appreciated. The Undien rep on here seems to skirt around that topic for some reason. Maybe the priority is on the App and analyze feature will come after?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
As has been mentioned many times by the RR staff and Uniden, this is the one and only place you will find updates when there are any:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-forums/291260-siren-update.html#post2227581

From the aforementioned update thread....

The first rev of the app will still lack some eventual functionality, but core operation will be there.

Kind of sounds like the scanners themselves. Let's throw them out to the public 3/4 finished, and toss the rest of the functions to them piecemeal.

I just wonder how long we'll have to wait for the "eventual functionality" of the app?

Sheesh, if you can't put out a finished product, don't put one out at all.

mitbr

I think the Apple app is pretty close maybe a month or so away.
The android app will follow when the bugs are worked out in the Apple app in year 2016.
The analyze feature will be out after all bugs are worked out of both apps year 2022.
The fixes to any decoding issues year 2055.
Of course this is a joke but we will see these things when it happens and no sooner.

troymail

Silent Key
The android app will follow when the bugs are worked out in the Apple app in year 2016.
The analyze feature will be out after all bugs are worked out of both apps year 2022.
Of course this is a joke but we will see these things when it happens and no sooner.

:lol:

Boatanchor

It's obvious you are a 'glass half full' kind of guy :)

durango5550

Booger D.
They got our money already , they are not in a big hurry.

The p25 decode has diminished on my scanner as well after the updates. even on an older system that I monitor it is lacking to say the least. I have tried all the settings mentioned on the forums but it just doesn't seem to get any better. I wish you could roll back to the older firmware.

troymail

Silent Key
True

I wish you could roll back to the older firmware.

You can.

See: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-very-bad-reception.html?highlight=openuniden

I saved this from an earlier post:

Go to FW - OpenUniden to find the firmware for the 436 and 536. Download the firmware you want to try. Go to "mass storage" mode on the scanner. Open the file on the SD card and open the file marked "firmware". Copy the downloaded firmware version into this folder. Then use the scanner button to turn on the scanner. The firmware will load and reboot the scanner. Now you have the older firmware version.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

The p25 decode has diminished on my scanner as well after the updates. even on an older system that I monitor it is lacking to say the least. I have tried all the settings mentioned on the forums but it just doesn't seem to get any better. I wish you could roll back to the older firmware.

Maybe roll back to an older model.

Xray

There is, I'm sure, a much larger segment out there who's $$ they don't have yet [myself included].
A portion of those [myself included] are aware of these issues and are holding off purchase because of them.
If they don't get it straightened out and/or blow off those who's $$ they already have, a further segment [myself included] will be looking at offerings from other companies, sure as the night follows day.

mrkelso

My family and i have decided to boycott ALL products made by Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.