Antenna Suggestions for BCD436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I just got one of the SpectrumForce antennas from Scanner Master and it doesn't feel like it will thread onto the SMA connector on the 436 at all. I realize that the connector on the antenna is quite a bit more shallow than the stock antenna, but I can barely turn it 1/4 of a turn before it stops and feels like it's going to strip the connector on the scanner.

I took a magnifying glass and inspected the threads and they appear to be fine. What are other people's experience with this antenna? How many turns should I be able to go before it is snugly connected?

Just tried mine, about 4 1/2 turns. It doesn't screw all the way down so I added a black O-ring to fill the gap.

bwilborn

Just tried mine, about 4 1/2 turns. It doesn't screw all the way down so I added a black O-ring to fill the gap.

Weird, I wonder if I got a defective one? Could I trouble you to take a picture of the connector end? I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Weird, I wonder if I got a defective one? Could I trouble you to take a picture of the connector end? I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

I can do that, just not tonight. It may be tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Mine was "tight" for the first few fittings, on both my 396XT and 436HP. It looks to me like they spray painted a little bit on the inside of the threads. It's worn off on mine after a week, and now they screw on and off just fine.

Got 2 and use them both as the main antennas on my 396 and 436, very happy with them!

Paul

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Mine was "tight" for the first few fittings, on both my 396XT and 436HP. It looks to me like they spray painted a little bit on the inside of the threads. It's worn off on mine after a week, and now they screw on and off just fine.

Got 2 and use them both as the main antennas on my 396 and 436, very happy with them!

Paul

I seem to recall that also,

bwilborn

Ah, what the heck?! I just tried it again (for the 10th or so time) and now it's screwing on OK.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

Thanks guys.

netracer61

Premium Subscriber
Mine felt the same way, but there is no problem with the threads, it is just new and has never been threaded onto a connector before. The threads on the antenna still have the black coating on them, that is why it feels hard to turn. Screw it on two or three times then look at threads on the antenna, you will begin to see the black wear off . You want this to happen as it insures good contact. All connectors that are painted, anodized do this, even high dollar Milspec connectors. Any connector that has any kind of coating should always be threaded on and off a few times to insure good connection. Just make sure it is straight and thread it on, it will be tight in 3- 5 turns, it will not fully seat, you will see 3 - 4 threads at the base of the connector on the scanner. Some folks are under the impression that any exposed threads on the scanner lead to signal loss, this is absolutely false. If you do not like seeing the remaining threads on the scanner head to your local hardware store and buy two or three small orings and slide them on first.

joeuser

The Wretched
Interesting read, I was trying to find a better / flexible antenna for my 436 & stumbled across this thread. I currently use that Radio Shark 15$ telescoping with the center load & it does great but I'm so worried I'll break the darn thing in certain situations. I need an all band flexible not just 800, I understand there will be a performance loss but I scan just as much VHF & UHF as I do 800. I dont do low bands. So what is the suggestion for this need?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I need an all band flexible not just 800

Two were mentioned earlier in this thread - Diamond SRH77CA and Austin Condor. I have a RH77CA (the BNC version of the SRH77CA) and I find it to work much better than stock on VHF and UHF. It is about the same as the stock on 700/800. It is very flexible but a little long at 15". It is not as good as the metal center loaded Radio Shack antenna, but a good compromise for some portability. I have heard good things about the Condor, but I have not tried that one.

Since my earlier post, I ordered the SpectrumForce from Scanner Master. I am very pleased with 700/800mhz performance. I have not had a chance to really test it on VHF or UHF yet. I just don't like how it leaves a gap on the SMA connector. I also prefer BNC antennas as I am constantly switching from my mobile antenna in the car to a portable antenna when I get out of the car. I wish they made this antenna with a BNC!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have a RH77CA (the BNC version of the SRH77CA) and I find it to work much better than stock on VHF and UHF. It is about the same as the stock on 700/800. It is very flexible but a little long at 15".

I also have the BNC version of this antenna. It definitely outperforms the stock in the UHF and VHF bands and is at least as good elsewhere.

I use my 436HP as base, mobile, and portable, and using the BNC adapter gives me one consistent connector for all 3 antennas, and also shifts most of the wear from frequently switching antennas from the radio connector to the SMA-BNC adapter.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'd be interested in your further testing of the Spectrum Force, although this gap issue can be solved with a Home Depot O ring, I'm not keen on that - unless the antenna really is worth it.

bwilborn

After a couple of days of use here in northern CO, I can say that on 700/800 digital, I'm getting about one to two bars more signal on average from the statewide and county system I monitor. Boulder county VHF is about the same for me with no appreciable change from the stock rubber duck.

Lucky for me I have a drawer of assorted o-rings in the garage, and wouldn't you know it, I had one that solved the gap issue. I'd say for the price, this antenna is well worth it ($15 all in with shipping). Of course, I still haven't gotten my 436 totally programmed, so there is still much testing to do.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I'd be interested in your further testing of the Spectrum Force

I did a comparison with my BCD436HP and a few antennas tonight on a distant weather channel. Below are some signal meter readings with different antennas:
Stock antenna = 2 bars
RH77CA = 4 bars
Radio Shack 20-511 Telescopic = 2 bars fully extended. 5 bars if I lowered one top section and one bottom section. It measured 22” long.
Radio Shack 800mhz = 0-1 bar
SpectrumForce = 0-1 bar

I did the same test with a distant 700mhz system
Stock = 0-1 bar
RH77CA = 3 bars
Radio Shack 20-511 Telescopic = Playing with the length, I was able to get to 5 bars. It measured 17” long.
Radio Shack 800mhz = 2 bars
SpectrumForce = 2 bars

If you are primarily interested in VHF or UHF, then you should probably stick with stock, the RS telescoping, or go with the RH77CA. 90% of my listening is 700/800mhz and the RS800 and SpectrumForce do very well and are half the length of the RH77CA. For me, the deal breaker on the SpectrumForce is no BNC. SMA will not work for me as I probably change between the car antenna and my RS 800mhz antenna 10+ times on an average day.

If you listen to any 700-800mhz, at $15 with shipping the SpectrumForce is a great deal compared to the $25 RS 800mhz antenna.

Edit:
After making this post, I looked and Scanner Master has upped their price to $15, so it would be around $22.50 with shipping.

Last edited:

bear780ks

For me I've used the RS 800 for a Long time since 2001, I've thought of trying a spectrum force or something equivalent, I do have other antenna's I can use..

I helped my antenna's signal a bit by Buying some Top Quality Right angle BNC I bought 2 right angled one's from PASTERNACK Enterprises and I can tell Difference in signal and as For Build Quality there at the Top of the Line they Lock onto the scanner and stay in place and the Antenna fits snug not Loose here is a Link to PASTERNACK if any one wants to see there Products and they can make any thing for Electronics. :) bear780

Cables, Coaxial Cable, Cable Connectors, Adapters, Attenuators, Microwave Parts

bear780ks

Hey Joe this is a bit off Topic but how does your BCD436 run on KSICS does it run Fairly well scanning the system.

My 996 as I mentioned does well with RS 800 picking up the system..

rbarker

Robert
What about this one: Uniden BCD436HP BCD396T BCD346XT New SMA 800 900MHz 3 dBi Gain Digital Antenna | eBay

Voyager

Anytime someone advertises an antenna as a "digital antenna", that is a huge red flag that makes all the other claims suspect (like "3 dB").

stgilmer

Currently using the rs800 on my bcd436 on a phase 2 simulcast system. It is a circle system and i live right on the outside of the circle, 1 mile to be exact from a tower. Reception is in amd out so i was wondering if the spectrumforce may be stronger? Or if there is another one stronger. There is a radio station running off this particular tower also, could that be playing havoc with reception? Once i cross over into the circle it is very clear with all antennas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.