Antenna Suggestions for BCD436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wscott52

Premium Subscriber
I am using the Diamond SRH77ca on my 436, and likemit alot. I also have the uniden OEM rubber ducky antenna.The rubber ducky does pretty good,,but the Diamond brings in some more distant departments.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have a BC396Xt and the TRX-1 and when I use them at my desk I have feeds for them from the wideband discone and a directional yagi, but when I am mobile I use a windowsill BNC antenna clip with a Watson W-889 which works wonders. I have heard others complain that the TRX-1 is horrible when mobile but I would heartily disagree. With the aforementioned mobile antenna simple setup I hear it all and am more than satisfied with the Watson W-889.

mrwhitee

cable for Tram 1410

I have a Tram 1410 antenna with a female SO-239 connector that I want to connect to my bcd436. What cable/adapters should I use?

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
You didn't say what band, that would help. If it's 800 mHz trunked, then the RadioShack 800 mHz rubber duck. Even through RadioShack is (mostly) out of business, they are still plentiful on eBay. The same antenna is also manufactured under the Remtronix brand.

bigslide44

We have a nasty simulcast problem here in Nashville, so when I got my first radio, I joined the antenna of the month club. I've got a bunch of them. The one that works best on the Metro system is the RS800. If I want to hear outside the county, I use the telescope that came with my 536. There's a lot of good interesting here this morning.
Just Old Dan

Scanner_Rider

I initially used the rubber antenna that came with my 436 for both mobile and home use until I was given a magnetic 15 inch tall wide band mobile antenna that I stuck to the tin roof of my house so I could receive the state patrol VHF and the P25 signals in my area and it worked until the 15 foot long length of small diameter (RG150 something) got weathered and sunlight degraded about three months ago.

I then ordered a 38 inch center load whip Hustler brand mobile antenna advertised as wide band with 15 feet of RG58 coax, but when it arrived I found that while the VHF reception improved, it didn't support the P25 reception as well and was too flexible to my preferences.

As I couldn't find any mag antenna in the 15 inch range with heavy coax, I took a chance and took the long center load whip off the base of the $40 Hustler and snipped the top part off and trimmed it to 15 inches and put it on the tin roof of my house and it works twice as well as the old magnetic antenna with the small diameter coax.

It worked so well that a few weeks later I ordered another and enthusiastically cut it down to 15 inch length and put it on the right front fender of my SUV where the regular antenna for a radio used to be on cars and routed the RG 58 coax as discretely as I could through the firewall into the passenger compartment to conceal the fact I have a mobile scanner from break in thieves or the occasional LEO I may pass who doesn't like the idea of scanners in vehicles even though they are legal in this state and in this era provide better road condition information than a CB radio now that truck drivers as many drivers spend their drive time on their cellphones.

At least monitoring a scanner you can tell if there is a construction zone ahead as the troopers discuss the traffic flow on their VHF radios or LEOs are chasing a reckless driver.

The SMA to BNC adapter works great for quick connect / disconnect when moving my 436 between my vehicle and house and the rubber antenna that came with it now stays in the box with the user manual and my small notebook with information on the 436 not clearly covered in the manual on my storage shelf .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.