Any scanner software for Apple OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Probably a really dumb questions, but it may be a good suggestion to anyone making software out there. Is there any software to make a scanner work with an Apple OS?

I've been using an Apple notebook for my personal PC for about 6 months now, and I can tell you for my needs (97% just web browsing) it is all that I ever wanted. That being said, i'm not going back to PC no matter how much they glitz-up or strip-down Vista. I have a Dell notebook for work but would not use that to play with anything not work-related. I just got my wife a new Lenovo stuffed to the gills (so she can play on Pogo.com:roll:), but thats hers and she will flip if she starts seing radios wired into it.

I'm guessing that anything Apple compatible would be fairly new knowing that PC control of scanners has traditionally been accross the reliable legacy Serial RS-232 connections.

I suppose you can run windows on a Mac now, but again the Serial RS-232 port is still an issue even with an adaptor. My Apple is a G4 powered unit, so it does not have the ability to support Windows directly. (only the new intel apples do this I think) I will be buying a new one in about 6 months but not entertaining putting windows on it.

I am not so much looking for something to control my current scanners, but maybe something to control future scanners that I have not bought yet such as a digital unit like the 996/396 or whatever that new RS/GRE one is with 36,000 channels.

Maybe the answer is in one that has a direct web interface and can be controled via IP?:D (hint, hint, thats an idea that either Uniden, GRE, ICOM, or YAESU can take to the bank) I'll reserve my royalties on the term SoIP, or Scan over IP.:cool:

Please lets not get into Mac -Vs- PC debate. :roll: I like the Mac because after pushing numbers around Excel for 10-12 hours a day, I appreciate the change of scenary for any extracuricular computing. (they are also built far better) I don't tell anyone I know I use a Mac because of the trendy/goofball stereotype their users have.;)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You really should learn to use the search tools, Dan. This question has been asked- and answered- numerous times.

There are currently no Apple native (or to my knowledge) Mac-native scanner programs for the current crop of scanners. I understand many have had success using Parallels loading Windows XP on a Mac.

Personally speaking, getting an old XP desktop loaded with memory (pretty cheap these days) is the way to go. Avoid Vista at all costs - even Microshaft is. I understand Windows 7 will debut this summer. Take the hint! hi

73 Mike

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
You really should learn to use the search tools, Dan. This question has been asked- and answered- numerous times.

There are currently no Apple native (or to my knowledge) Mac-native scanner programs for the current crop of scanners. I understand many have had success using Parallels loading Windows XP on a Mac.

Personally speaking, getting an old XP desktop loaded with memory (pretty cheap these days) is the way to go. Avoid Vista at all costs - even Microshaft is. I understand Windows 7 will debut this summer. Take the hint! hi

73 Mike

The 2nd computer idea is an option. I have an old Sony notebook who's screen fizzled out on me. Has a blank HD, so it is only a matter of getting a copy of XP and an inexpensive external monitor and I am back in business. Only concern then is the lack of serial ports. USB to RS-232 adaptors and drivers are kind of sketchy the more specialized the application becomes.

Sorry about the search option. I'll keep it in mind, but I got excited about my IP-scanning idea. Sure would make streaming scanners easy!:cool:

Paulsan

Dan, just use Bootcamp and a copy of XP. That's what I do for all of my HAM software. You can get a GOOD USB to serial adapter from RT Systems. It's about twenty bucks. Don't bother with the emulation garbage or Fusion, etc.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The OP said he has a G4 Mac, not an Intel so therefore BootCamp won't work. VMWare and Fusion are also dependent on the Intel chipset.

While there are Windows emulators available for G4 Macs they are more trouble than they are worth. for the money and effort you will put into making it work you can go out and get a brand new Windows machine.

My wife got a little 9 inch laptop for Christmas, cost $300 at CostCo, and came with Windows XP. With a $15 Aten USB-Serial adapter I use it with various ARC products, Pro96Com and others with no problems.

I would keep an eye out for a little laptop instead of fighting a losing battle to make the Mac work for radio use unless you plan on upgrading to an Intel Mac (such as the MacBook Pro I am typing on right now. If you do that then you can easily run the various Windows based applications in BootCamp, Parallels, or my favorite; Fusion.

I am a dedicated Mac guy but I find it easier and cheaper to get a Windows machine for radio work.

The Sony notebook sounds like your ticket for now, until you decide to upgrade to an intel mac. After all, it's hardware that you have available to you right now. Add an external monitor and a few cheap usb to serial converters and you should be good for a while. Otherwise, nobody seems to see the value in an old PII or PIII Win2k machine, you find companies discarding those all the time - last one I found was sitting next to a dumpster (it's currently running my home automation stuff via Debian and heyu, making it look to the rest of the neighborhood like I'm always home.) Get lucky and find a couple of them sitting next to each other and you could very well have enough parts to combine them into one franken-puter with twice the RAM and redundant storage, as well as a spare power supply for when the old one eventually dies.

USB to Serial converters are fine, I like the ones with FTDI chipsets for the refreshingly friendly drivers support. If you can avoid usb to serial converters with Prolific chipsets, that would be ideal. Sure, they'll work fine on Windows XP, but with the lack of signed 64-bit driver support from Prolific themselves I wouldn't exactly call them 'future-proof' (I have signed 64-bit drivers for an off-brand data cable for my Yaesu, but I had to use the disc that came with the cable. Prolific says to bug off and contact your hardware manufacturer.)

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Last edited:

Paulsan

The OP said he has a G4 Mac, not an Intel so therefore BootCamp won't work. VMWare and Fusion are also dependent on the Intel chipset.

While there are Windows emulators available for G4 Macs they are more trouble than they are worth. for the money and effort you will put into making it work you can go out and get a brand new Windows machine.

My wife got a little 9 inch laptop for Christmas, cost $300 at CostCo, and came with Windows XP. With a $15 Aten USB-Serial adapter I use it with various ARC products, Pro96Com and others with no problems.

I would keep an eye out for a little laptop instead of fighting a losing battle to make the Mac work for radio use unless you plan on upgrading to an Intel Mac (such as the MacBook Pro I am typing on right now. If you do that then you can easily run the various Windows based applications in BootCamp, Parallels, or my favorite; Fusion.

I am a dedicated Mac guy but I find it easier and cheaper to get a Windows machine for radio work.

DOH! How did I miss that? I should read more closely. Thanks for politely pointing out my mistake. There are a few members that would jump at the chance to flame over such a mistake.

The RT Systems USB/Serial adapter is still a nice unit.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
check out Microsoft Virtual PC, from what I know, that one ONLY works with G4, as opposed to VMW or Parallels that do not run with G4.

Status
Not open for further replies.