• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

anyone able to get a CB antenna to work on a Jeep TJ it's like the old CJ's??

niceguy71

hi guys
well I was hoping I was DONE and could sit back and enjoy my base station and mobile unit in my Ford F150. ... lot easier to talk then get them set up.

my friends keep coming over and asking me what I'm doing on my retirement, so I show them my CB set up and they go out and buy one for their cars / trucks.
a few of the guys had cars with a unibody construction and I loan them one of my extra Tram 3500 and I set it up for them... they try it for a few days and love it and come back and with a new Tram 3500 to replace the one I let them borrow... most of the guys are getting 15 to 20 miles with a 4 watt radio... talking to my base station... once I set the SWR with my Ridge Expert they go home and I talk to them as they drive home... so far I've been able to talk to them till there in their driveway.

I had a friend call me and told me he bought a used Cobra 29 and a 4 foot Firestick with a spring that he mounted on the back drivers side tail light.... he does not have a spare tire in the back or the spare tire carrier to mount anything too... he mounted the radio to the side of the shifter and sounds like it's all installed and would like me to do the SWR...... I HATE Firesticks and never had one work more than a mile or so.... and I know jeeps just don't work very good.... so I had hoped to avoid ever trying to set a CB up on one.

so I'll range test it soon and see what we get for range.... then I think I'll suggest a better antenna... I know some guys here like the Siro 5000 Performer and if I can get an extension from the taillight mount that will go to the top of the Jeep????? maybe I can talk him into putting it there????? but I don't know how to make a non magnetic antenna work... do I have to ground the outside of the coax to the metal of the jeep?? do I need to buy a new better coax? I'm a total newbie on this style Antenna install. .. I could tell you I have installed about 20 to 30 different antennas ... but NONE OF THEM EVER WORKED so I think I'll start new with what you guys suggest.

my friend also said he would be interested in installing it on the side of the fender..... he has the factory Stereo Antenna on the passenger side, on the fender by the door... and there is a matching spot on the driver's side... so I would think someone must make a mast that would mount the same way... and go up to the top of the windshield of a Jeep?????

picture shows where the factory stereo antenna mounts,,,, is mounting a CB antenna on the opposite side a good idea?

this should be an interesting learning experience.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• petes Jeep.jpg
    petes Jeep.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 23

niceguy71

Look for an antenna mounting plate for between the tailight and body (https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Au...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ABSLB7XHZ8EF1).. I ran one on my TJ and it worked quite well without getting snagged on too many low-ish hanging branches off road.

I've also run the tried and true Ball mount on the passenger side rear.. More snags, but worked well..
I believe that's what my friend has now... with a 4 foot firestick.... most of the guys I've run into with jeeps either have the antenna there on the tail light like you showed..., or on the spare tire mount...
I park my truck at a local hang out spot where all the young guys go 4 wheeling...and talk to friends with CB's and we always get pretty good range... once in a while a jeep will show up with the antenna in the back as I said and they always get terrible range.. like only a mile.

n9mxq are you able to get 4 or 5 miles ( depending on conditions) with your set up and what do you have for an antenna??

I thought I would try something different... something that would work really really good... I've been searching this forum for idea's.. tons of jeep antenna talk in the GMRS group..... all with GMRS antenna's.... in one of the posts PRCGUY had a back of the hood lip mount that I thought was a good idea as it will place the antenna over some metal ( the hood) and thought I may go that way if people say that works... not sure you need metal under the antenna, but I thought it can't hurt?

lots of Jeep talk in the GMRS group... so I guess CB is so bad on a jeep they are all going the GMRA route.

n9mxq did you have scrape the paint off??? down to bare metal before installing that mount?... If my friends jeep doesn't transmit more than a mile I will take apart what he has done and see how it looks???... it would be great if that tail light mount and 4 foot firestick work... but I haven't seen one working well yet.

I was hoping some of the very knowledgeable guys in the group had jeeps all figured out... and would tell me step one RF bonding... step two such and such mount... step three such and such coax and step four a 5 foot such and such antenna.... but it seems everyone has done something different.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I used to get twice that range with a firestik. Stock antenna, good coax, stock radio. One thing to keep in mind, with the antenna on the back of the Jeep, most of the signal is going forward.. Hence why most people try to center the antenna in the roof, which is not possible with a Wrangler.. I never scraped paint. I just ran a good ground from the frame to one of the antenna mounting bolts (tail light bolt/nut) inside the body cavity. Was it perfect? No, but it did what I wanted for bombing around town, and overperformed on all the trail rides. PRCGuy gives great advice no matter the subject. On my TJ (97 2door) I had a 2/44 Larsen mounted to the A pillar (Big torx bolt) on the drivers side.. Worked well enough for me.

Ahh, the old xx feet of coax for xx antenna... Blah blah blah.. Coax should reach from the antenna to the radio without stress.. no more, no less...

Yes, most Jeep clubs I've been around are going GMRS (depending on channel FRS). Cleaner signals, no skip, and decent range with properly tuned antennas.. Heck most trails can be run using only a handheld as long as the group doesn't spread out ridiculously far.

niceguy71

I used to get twice that range with a firestik. Stock antenna, good coax, stock radio. One thing to keep in mind, with the antenna on the back of the Jeep, most of the signal is going forward.. Hence why most people try to center the antenna in the roof, which is not possible with a Wrangler.. I never scraped paint. I just ran a good ground from the frame to one of the antenna mounting bolts (tail light bolt/nut) inside the body cavity. Was it perfect? No, but it did what I wanted for bombing around town, and overperformed on all the trail rides. PRCGuy gives great advice no matter the subject. On my TJ (97 2door) I had a 2/44 Larsen mounted to the A pillar (Big torx bolt) on the drivers side.. Worked well enough for me.

Ahh, the old xx feet of coax for xx antenna... Blah blah blah.. Coax should reach from the antenna to the radio without stress.. no more, no less...

Yes, most Jeep clubs I've been around are going GMRS (depending on channel FRS). Cleaner signals, no skip, and decent range with properly tuned antennas.. Heck most trails can be run using only a handheld as long as the group doesn't spread out ridiculously far.
double 4 to 5 miles range would be amazing.. thank you N9mxq maybe we'll get lucky and his system will work...

I'd still like to try to get something different than a firestick... something steel that would be real springy and bounce off trees / brush... the fiberglass rod whack the heck out of everything.

niceguy71

I like the looks of these two mounts..... I don't like it so close to the windshield... the fender one looks good.... but it's lower than the hood so if we went that way I would have to put some kind of extension on it to get the base load above the hood???? both of these would keep the antenna out of sight when driving and we could run the coax through the door... the hood lip mount would probably be a little distracting.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Moun...8&psc=1&mcid=ad05b74d05fa3068b3de565557b16404

niceguy71

I like the looks of these two mounts..... I don't like it so close to the windshield... the fender one looks good.... but it's lower than the hood so if we went that way I would have to put some kind of extension on it to get the base load above the hood???? both of these would keep the antenna out of sight when driving and we could run the coax through the door... the hood lip mount would probably be a little distracting.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Moun...8&psc=1&mcid=ad05b74d05fa3068b3de565557b16404

if this would work.... I would think this antenna Stryker AR 10 ( or maybe a Siro 5000 Performer if it would take the beating from branches?)

Stryker SR-A10 High Performance CB and 10 Meter 10000 Watt Antenna

mounted on this mount

prcguy

A trunk lip mount on the hood will provide more ground plane. Something similar to this and with a base loaded thin whip construction that gives in to branches and won’t stress the mounit.

1712887613600.jpeg

Last edited:

niceguy71

A trunk lip mount on the hood will provide more ground plane.
ok that was easy... it does look like a great way to go...

SOOO many options I didn't know which way to go and I wanted some advice from someone that has actually done it... and I know you know what you're talking about!!! ( I'm completely lost)

so I'm done and that's what I'll do... depending on how bad my friends tail light mount and 4 foot firestick work ( I highly doubt it will work and didn't want to spend much time playing with it.

Thank you so much prcguy.... I really had no idea where to even start, I know anything I did would be trial and error.
just knowing a mount and antenna that will probably work is a HUGE place to start.

I'll do the aluminum tape trick too if he has any plastic.

prcguy

ok that was easy... it does look like a great way to go...

SOOO many options I didn't know which way to go and I wanted some advice from someone that has actually done it... and I know you know what you're talking about!!! ( I'm completely lost)

so I'm done and that's what I'll do... depending on how bad my friends tail light mount and 4 foot firestick work ( I highly doubt it will work and didn't want to spend much time playing with it.

Thank you so much prcguy.... I really had no idea where to even start, I know anything I did would be trial and error.
just knowing a mount and antenna that will probably work is a HUGE place to start.

I'll do the aluminum tape trick too if he has any plastic.
The only thing to worry about with a hood mount is potentially higher ignition noise. The newer Jeep Wrangler, Gladiator, etc, (mine is a 2021) have zero ignition noise but older models or ones with modified ignition systems could have some noise.

niceguy71

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
My 97 TJ I ran a Wilson Lil' Wil magmount on the front fender. Then went to a ball mount on the passenger rear quarter panel. I always prefer to run the ball on the driver's side to have better clearance from tree branches but as we know that's where they put the fuel fill. For VHF/UHF I had a comet trunk lip mount on the top edge of the tailgate in the middle behind the spare tire.

prcguy

Someone had a problem with the Midland mount on a Jeep but I can’t remember what it was. I use this one but I snag them off ebay when they get down to about $20.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I had a 97 XJ that I used a trunk lip mount on the driver's side of the hood, for my K40. It worked pretty well, and was easy to take off, for parking structures & ferries.

niceguy71

I had a 97 XJ that I used a trunk lip mount on the driver's side of the hood, for my K40. It worked pretty well, and was easy to take off, for parking structures & ferries.
I actually have a couple K-40's kicking around and thought I would try that out and see.... thank you for the reply Krokus I have a feeling that will be good enough that I'll be happy with it.... I'm sure it will beat a FireStick mounted on the tail light... I'll let everyone know how it works out

ki6ffv

I used a mount similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Holder-Radio-Mount-Driver-Mount-Compatible-Wrangler/dp/B0BQ7R34BW/

3ft Firestik with the adjustable tip. Under 2:1 SWR across the band. If I recall I used the stiffer Firestik R-3H spring to keep the antenna from flopping around too much. Used the "firering" coax assembly from Firestik as well. Uniden PRO510XL with no mods. I'd wheel with 10 other rigs and consistently hear that I have one of the strongest and best-sounding CBs in the group.

I don't understand why rigs with antennas at the back had poor transmit nearly 100% of the time. The tire carrier-mounted antennas were the worst.

niceguy71

I used a mount similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Holder-Radio-Mount-Driver-Mount-Compatible-Wrangler/dp/B0BQ7R34BW/

3ft Firestik with the adjustable tip. Under 2:1 SWR across the band. If I recall I used the stiffer Firestik R-3H spring to keep the antenna from flopping around too much. Used the "firering" coax assembly from Firestik as well. Uniden PRO510XL with no mods. I'd wheel with 10 other rigs and consistently hear that I have one of the strongest and best-sounding CBs in the group.

I don't understand why rigs with antennas at the back had poor transmit nearly 100% of the time. The tire carrier-mounted antennas were the worst.
thank you ki6ffv... I know Jeeps are the worst but something must work.... I have tried every Firestick they ever made and never got more than a couple miles.... I wasted a LOT of time trying to get them to work... so for me they never did work, so I REALLY HATE THEM!~
I've learned you really have to have the antenna above some good sized metal... I'm glad that is working for you... it's a nice looking location for the antenna I'll admit... but the base is still lower than the hood... (largest flat metal on the Jeep) so I think I'll try what PRCGUY recommended, he is extremely good with any advice he has ever given me ... if I can have the antenna above the hood and I can buy a good quality antenna I think it may work fairly well...
I just did a range test of my pick up truck tonight ..I went to my favorite restaurant, Texas Road House which is 14 miles away on the speedometer ...( just over 9 miles using google maps straight line) and was giving my base station 7 on the signal meter... meaning I might have gone another 5 to 10 miles more??? ..... I doubt the jeep will do even close to that, but 9 miles as the crow flys coming in crystal clear is incredible to me..... I doubt the firestick could do it... but thank you for your input.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
So many Jeep owners install CBs that you would think they would take that into consideration during manufacture to accommodate both the radio and the antenna.

niceguy71

So many Jeep owners install CBs that you would think they would take that into consideration during manufacture to accommodate both the radio and the antenna.
your right!
but I don't think there is a way to really do it well..... no roof.... so no metal to reflect the signal.
if you put the antenna on the tail light or the tire carrier there is no metal under it...basically on the jeep you only have the hood and you can't have an Antenna in the middle of the hood and drive without being distracted.... I watch tons of YouTube videos where the proud jeep owner installs the CB and antenna and at the end says that's how you do it!!!

""how you do it""???? the jerk used a little firestick that is lucky to get a mile range!!! he put it in the back against the back glass and the top of the antenna is not even above the roof!!!!! he didn't range test it to prove the set up works... the guy screwed anyone looking for real info..
they have thousands of "likes" meaning thousands of people will copy what he did.... very sad.... but I don't think anyone has figured out a way to truly make a CB work as intended on a Jeep...... other than the huge 108" stainless steel whip that no one wants to deal with it banging around off everything

I like install video's like this one below.... he is honest and knowledgeable and does a range test to prove it works...
here he takes a 4 watt radio and gets over 18 miles range with the antenna on a small trunk.... not much metal on that trunk.... if he had put it on the roof, it would have been two feet taller and had more metal and not been restricted by the back window......and probably gotten a lot better range...

but there are no jeep range tests .... I've seen two of them and both only got 2 miles