• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

anyone able to get a CB antenna to work on a Jeep TJ it's like the old CJ's??

WPXN

Premium Subscriber
Need some info..... I live in Indiana I would like to find a CB shop to get some old CB.s fixed.... anyone know where one is In Indiana.?????

niceguy71

Need some info..... I live in Indiana I would like to find a CB shop to get some old CB.s fixed.... anyone know where one is In Indiana.?????
Most shops are months and months behind.,... The new radios are much better..,. Night and day better!!!! You can buy a good new radio with features not even invented 10 years ago for less than it would cost to fix an older radio.,....
The old radios had capacitors in them kind iof like a little battery they leak when they get old and ruin the circuit board.,... Think of someone having to unsolder every capacitor then install new capacitors.,... And when you got it back in 6 months for $200 bucks you still will not have AM/FM, the weather channels, noise reduction echo, talk back, digital display, the list goes on and on... ... All you'll get back is an old radio that is obsolete.... Just get a new one.

K6GBW

Well, I just got back from a six day, 2500 mile road trip to Montana. I heard exactly two conversations on CB channel 19. Both sounded like local bases talking to others locally. So for road tripping I've come to the conclution that they are basically useless. Now, I suppose that means that for a group of people using them amongst themselves this actually is good news. But I really feel like the days of chatting with others over the road is long gone.

slowmover

For that route (IH-15 the whole way; SoCal to Butte?), with that radio rig (7ā€™ or taller to 14ā€™ over center-of-metal-mass with NRC-equipped radio?) and operator keyed up regularly (passivity is not a test).

Population Density + Commercial Traffic Route

1989 radio rig with a too-short antenna on a body side-mount Jeep? Thatā€™s the definition of below-average. In the last quarter-century Iā€™ve not ever had an extended conversation with a ā€œJeepā€ (non-SUV).

Undesirable Vehicle

Failure to regularly enquire of on-coming traffic what conditions theyā€™ve observed may affect me is part of any ā€œtestā€ in a region without the population density of 30ā€ average annual rainfall.

Operator without control protocol

1). Route
2). Radio Rig
3). Operator

ā€” The similar distance of Orlando, FL to Chicago, IL roundtrip would give a wholly different result.

ā€” An NRC-equipped with antenna to 14ā€™ over a better vehicle and run wide-open would have caught what was possible.

ā€” The persistent operator will always wake-up and get responses from others given that his own rig isnā€™t marginal.

I ran the northern part of that route Christmas Day and due to snow/ice lingering had radio talk throughout.

Was on the phone awhile yesterday with a friend after he got over Cajon heading East and the radio bubbled up several times en route on the southern portion to Flagstaff, AZ (SQ & RF Gain dialed in to exclude distant).

In big truck we average 2500-3000/miles every week. One week does not a story tell. All kinds of factors can queer yearly norms thru a region in some weeks.

To increase the margin of success itā€™s necessary to have an above-average radio rig on an HF-capable vehicle with a motivated operator when in remote regions.

One can run Montana to Alaska roundtrip (5,000-miles) and he isnā€™t going to hear much on CB as itā€™s well-known that more radio traffic is on the LADD channels between both points. High performance, therefore, is not an option, itā€™s mandatory.

ā€” Poor radio rig in poor vehicle without operator discipline across remote region isnā€™t a test applying to most others.

A 5-ft plus NMO antenna on a Ford F-150 with NRC radio plus noise abatement measures applied would be a fair test. A 2024 radio rig. It may fall a little short of whatā€™s possible, but itā€™s a not-unreasonable definition of whatā€™s needed to deliver an opinion applicable to the majority across the remote West (even on Interstate).

The lesson is that a Jeep isnā€™t hampered solely by poor physics as a highway vehicle, but that itā€™s also incapable of the HF performance needed to make contact with the highest potential number of other radio operators (without prohibitively expensive gear).

What we learned is to put the Jeep on a trailer = lowered risk travel with a higher rate of on-air success.

From this post onwards is the most exhaustive analysis of truck driver radio use youā€™ll find:

Post in thread 'Do truckers still use CB Radios?'
Do truckers still use CB Radios?

Theyā€™re the backbone. Hear, and Get Heard is also understanding patterns of use in order to meet success.

Last edited:

slowmover

Need to re-run that test with a genuine Stripper Pole plus attached ground plane topped at 14ā€™. Some fire in the wire.

Put your ā€œemployeeā€ on the radio. Sheā€™ll get responses old hairy legs would never.

Used to hear women fairly often back in the Carter/Reagan years. Thatā€™s a major reason the airwaves got backed up. Why many men were more eager to participate.

NRC-radio with Scan is a tool to find users on an alternative channel to AM-19. Sometimes itā€™s by industry, sometimes itā€™s local preference. Skip has altered basics during Cycle 25.

You may hear 3-4/men, but only one has a rig good enough to hear you despite the clarity of your RX.

ā€” With an NRC radio itā€™s almost always easy to tell the difference between base vs mobile RX, not just content clues given that the extension speaker has audio high fidelity (DRX-901).

(A Q5/QT60 is basic to all of the above).

Last edited:

niceguy71

question

I'm going to try to talk my friend into putting the NMO mount on the passenger corner of the hood
I see they make a NMO mount that only needs a 3/8" hole (see video)... .... small 3/8" hole can be plugged up pretty easily .... I like the look of it so much I'm tempted to put one on the roof of my pick-up truck.... but I'm pretty happy with my Tram 3500... for now.

ok question
if I put the NMO mount on the corner of the Jeep hood and use a Larsen antenna.... should I put grounding straps from the hood to the tub?

question part two
there is a stereo antenna on the right side of the jeep... maybe 15" from where I would like to put the CB antenna... will that cause a lot of problems?
thank you

video of a 3/8 inch hole

the picture is from PRCGUY..... GREAT idea for the placement of a CB antenna that would hopefully have a good ground plane... I don't want to put it on the driver's side as I'm sure it would be distracting for the driver.... my friend's jeep hood doesn't have a lip at back of hood.. it's more like an upside down cake pan... but I can drill a hole in roughly the same area, but on the passenger side.

Attachments

• Jeep hood lip mount on new jeep.jpeg
    Jeep hood lip mount on new jeep.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1

mmckenna

I ā™„ Ƙ
question

I'm going to try to talk my friend into putting the NMO mount on the passenger corner of the hood
I see they make a NMO mount that only needs a 3/8" hole (see video)... .... small 3/8" hole can be plugged up pretty easily .... I like the look of it so much I'm tempted to put one on the roof of my pick-up truck.... but I'm pretty happy with my Tram 3500... for now.

The 3/8" hole mounts will work fine. The 3/4 are more common. They make hole plugs for both sizes.

ok question
if I put the NMO mount on the corner of the Jeep hood and use a Larsen antenna.... should I put grounding straps from the hood to the tub?

Probably wouldn't hurt, but hook up your SWR meter and check it first. It won't hurt to try.

question part two
there is a stereo antenna on the right side of the jeep... maybe 15" from where I would like to put the CB antenna... will that cause a lot of problems?
thank you

If you are running a non-modified CB, it'll probably be fine. The radio may loose audio when you key up the CB, but 4 watts is unlikely to do any damage. If you are running more than legal CB power, you'll probably want to put the antenna on the other side.

niceguy71

The 3/8" hole mounts will work fine. The 3/4 are more common. They make hole plugs for both sizes.

Probably wouldn't hurt, but hook up your SWR meter and check it first. It won't hurt to try.

If you are running a non-modified CB, it'll probably be fine. The radio may loose audio when you key up the CB, but 4 watts is unlikely to do any damage. If you are running more than legal CB power, you'll probably want to put the antenna on the other side.
Thank you Mmckenna!

slowmover

Iā€™d get used to having an antenna in my view as driver. Itā€™s not going to change my perception of the road, overall. Black-colored components.

Contractors with major sized ladder racks or car haulers have much more adjustment necessary. And they do fine.

NMO with 5ā€™ whip at that location probably as good as itā€™ll get for the classic Jeep needing some off-road ā€œhelpā€ (versus 7ā€™). Thatā€™d be my plan, FWIW, to get the rest of the systems as good as they can be (dead silent 12V plus RF/CMC abatement on coax. A thorough RF Bond attempt. Work this end of things hard to try to compensate for short antenna).

Create the environment where NRC can shine. The faint or distant (or faint & distant) signals.

DRX-901 behind drivers head towards left ear. Fabricate bracket to work.

IMG_3111.jpeg

ANYTONE 6666 (Quad 6) to be re-released shortly (NRC, now) and itā€™s dimensions are 2ā€ less wide + 2ā€ less deep than Q5 (itself to be modified just up ahead; Iā€™m assuming smaller case). 9.5 x 6.5 x 2

Thereā€™s no good reason to leave out Sideband. (Parked remote with dipole in trees; etc).

Iā€™d plan with these in mind. As funds allow future improvements. New radio last.

IMG_5352.jpeg

Last edited:

slowmover

As Jeepers arenā€™t truckers: Donā€™t be intimidated by 2024 radios. Almost all settings if menu-driven are set once and leave alone.

Radio Volume
RF Gain
Squelch

are the only controls changed in the course of a day on the road. With NRC, even less than before.

These three are easily accessed.
Donā€™t need to take eyes off of road.

The superior audio quality of the speaker above means, again (as with NRC), even fewer changes thru the day to deal with Skip or metro RF.

Being able to run wide open (near max RF Gain and no SQ) means greatest reception range and depth.

Go to an adjacent quiet channel and adjust settings. (RFG backed off a bit and only a slight amount of SQ added). Return to AM-19 and barely change them to suit.

This pretty well has you down to only using Volume for any radio changes. Nearly all day when away from the major metros is the plan.

I probably adjust the radio hourly (years past being consciously aware of it) as MAXIMUM reception distance is my goal. Making changes while driving an 18-wheeler involves MORE planning EARLIER than being in a private vehicle. I have to think about how Iā€™m affected 2-3/days ahead. 1,000 to 1,800-miles away.

An NRC AM/SSB export radio and the supporting systems worthy of it are so far different in performance than what folks think what is a CB that they really have no clue of whatā€™s possible. This includes 30-year users.

Clarity is King

Last edited:

slowmover

Hereā€™s 1989 as may be found in a 4WD. The common conception of CB ā€œperformanceā€. Nice enough install. Excellent radio. Popular power mic. 667 under passenger seat.

Heavy, expensive, power-hungry. Canā€™t hear worth beans without DSP running the audio speaker and heā€™s above the reasonable mobile limit of 150W as distortion plays a hand (ground plane limits, so to speak).

No CMC/RF choke. I think he bonded vehicle somewhat.

Heā€™s not dumb. Heā€™s a throwback to using whatā€™s no longer desirable or necessary.

Being heard on the Super Bowl (CH 6) isnā€™t an accolade Iā€™d want.

And, being heard farther than he can hear (I guarantee it, I make fun of these guys on-air) is working against his own best interest as it intersects with everyone elseā€™s use. Too much radio power as crutch, and too little detailed attention to systems.

The deaf guy shouting to be heard.

Whatā€™s in posts above will outperform this in every metric desirable.

The Mobile Install Bible

Clarity is King

Last edited:

merlin

thanks Merlin..... your not kidding about gone pricy.. everything is nuts
HOLY S%$T. I have bought these for 1/10 the price. Alhough I would suggest something like this for roof top, there are a couple that are better performers. The Wilson 1000M mag mount, and I have seen a jeep with one stuck just forward the windshild hinge. They are LONG, like 64 inches. Lockheed says they are the best antenna on the planet. (1000 times better than K-40)
There is one other though, the Sirio 5000 performer. About the same length, and similar coil design. I would like to run one through the ringer and see how it compares. It looks like the whip could be fitted with a quick disconnect, or either is flexible enough to be bent over and clipped to a gutter.