TRX-1: Anyone have a LARGE HAMMER!!!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBase1

Seems like you're not doing a 'New Configuration'. Whenever you've made a V Folder you need to save it and then start
another one by creating a New Configuration.
Hi eyes , thanks. I didnt know i needed new vfolder once a config was setup. does the settings not stay same ,no matter how many times i send freqs. I see now ok. thanks for message . will do new vfolder....thats the easy part for me haaha.

Appreciate your post

Chronic

Add freqs to scanner , then when you want to add more , read from scanner and add freq to that file and then reload it to the scanner . Each time you will need to read from the scanner and pull in the existing frequencies to the software , add or make changes , then write back to the scanner . Each time you write to the scanner it is only going to install what ever frequencies are in the software , anything on the scanner will be erased .

RedBase1

Seems like you're not doing a 'New Configuration'. Whenever you've made a V Folder you need to save it and then start
another one by creating a New Configuration.
Can i just ask...do i change the default box9make black next to the copy button (so i want to send to #1 i would have box marked copy and box marked default on line #20 ?

The guys have posted and told me this before was still not quite sure what i doing. I normally quite techy with this sort of thing but i am totally confused Just when it seems i am winning and its working its one step in front and 2 backwards hahaha

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Vfolders (Virtual scanner folders) are best used for putting in other cities you may travel to.
Scansets (you have 20) are a set of scanlist and a great place for putting in seldom used frequencies like NASACAR,
Scanlist (you have 200) are your frequencies anyway you want to organize them.

eyes00only

Can i just ask...do i change the default box9make black next to the copy button (so i want to send to #1 i would have box marked copy and box marked default on line #20 ?

The guys have posted and told me this before was still not quite sure what i doing. I normally quite techy with this sort of thing but i am totally confused Just when it seems i am winning and its working its one step in front and 2 backwards hahaha
Not sure which default you mean but in General Settings I always leave my default as #1

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Also try adding frequencies from the Library instead of using copy/paste. I've found the radio to work much better when you simply bring things in from the Library instead of using copy/paste to put them in from outside sources (especially with trunked systems). I have no idea why this is, but it's invariably been the case in my experience, with both the WS1080 and TRX-1.

Copy/paste of talkgroups (or conventional frequencies) does seem to work OK once you have a trunked system or conventional frequencies already in place, however.

perki

In my second day of TRX-1 ownership, I have some common issues with Redbase1 and this thread has been very helpful.

The manual is helpful also, but one really needs to understand a bit about P25 trunking and the nuances of the TRX-1 software I guess. First timers of trunking P25 II on TRX-1 really appreciate the screen shots and the step by step to get you to be able to HEAR SOMETHING and work from there.

On another note. My area is small town yet everything now P25 Phase II on the state network, I have two transmission sites, both about 7 miles away in different directions. You aren't going to get an adequate signal on on the stock TRX-1 antenna indoors in those conditions in IMHO. Go outside and it is a bit better. Just ordered an 800MHZ antenna and hoping for some improvement. Otherwise, will try outdoor base antenna.
Thanks for all those that contribute here.

MichaelBhere

Also try adding frequencies from the Library instead of using copy/paste. I've found the radio to work much better when you simply bring things in from the Library instead of using copy/paste to put them in from outside sources (especially with trunked systems). I have no idea why this is, but it's invariably been the case in my experience, with both the WS1080 and TRX-1.

Copy/paste of talkgroups (or conventional frequencies) does seem to work OK once you have a trunked system or conventional frequencies already in place, however.

He does not have a Library to access as he is in the UK and using the UK bandplan.

RedBase1

Thanks for your post I will defo give that a try
Many thanks Colin

KG4EMJ

I've been fighting with EZ Scan for weeks myself. It's very confusing. V folders, scan sets, scan lists, convention tab with it's own list, etc. etc. I think it's very overboard for the average person and "EZ Scan" is a misnomer. To make matters worse, the manual is vague, and there are no videos on YouTube that are helpful...most of them are vague also.

I just want to program <50 frequencies into a list and scan them. Why does this require a B.S. in computer science to achieve?

MichaelBhere

If all you want is to create 50 frequencies in 1 or more scanlists, stay away from V Scan folders as it will only confuse you.

I generated a spreadsheet from EZ Scan that you can use for importing to your Conventional frequency tab

I provided 2 quick examples that you can leave in the spreadsheet for now and I will remove them once I have your additional frequency data.

As I am unable to attach as a csv file to this post, after creating this in Excel, I changed the file extension from .csv to .txt
After you place the attached file on your pc desktop, you will need to rename the file extension back to .csv then open in Excel

For now, all you need to do is complete columns A, B, N, O, and AE.
I will use the programs defaults for all the other columns
Note, this is for conventional frequencies only as Trunking Systems are a bit more complicated and we are just looking to get you started so you have something to listen to while you learn about the radio and the EZ Scan programming.

Once you have finished adding information to columns A, B, N, O, and AE save in Excel as csv file then rename the extension to .txt and attach it to your reply post.

I will make the necessary changes then output you a completed spreadsheet that you can use for importing to the conventional Tab. (again, I will need to send as .txt but you can rename the extension back to .csv after placing on your pc.

Additionally, if you tell me what model scanner you have, I will generate a configuration.ZIP that you can import to the EZ Scan program then write it to your radio.

The configuration file also contains stored settings for your scanner and I will set it up the way I have mine set up.
You can always make changes afterwards.

Attachments

• KG4EMJ.txt
    495 bytes · Views: 18

KG4EMJ

If all you want is to create 50 frequencies in 1 or more scanlists, stay away from V Scan folders as it will only confuse you.

I generated a spreadsheet from EZ Scan that you can use for importing to your Conventional frequency tab

I provided 2 quick examples that you can leave in the spreadsheet for now and I will remove them once I have your additional frequency data.

As I am unable to attach as a csv file to this post, after creating this in Excel, I changed the file extension from .csv to .txt
After you place the attached file on your pc desktop, you will need to rename the file extension back to .csv then open in Excel

For now, all you need to do is complete columns A, B, N, O, and AE.
I will use the programs defaults for all the other columns
Note, this is for conventional frequencies only as Trunking Systems are a bit more complicated and we are just looking to get you started so you have something to listen to while you learn about the radio and the EZ Scan programming.

Once you have finished adding information to columns A, B, N, O, and AE save in Excel as csv file then rename the extension to .txt and attach it to your reply post.

I will make the necessary changes then output you a completed spreadsheet that you can use for importing to the conventional Tab. (again, I will need to send as .txt but you can rename the extension back to .csv after placing on your pc.

Additionally, if you tell me what model scanner you have, I will generate a configuration.ZIP that you can import to the EZ Scan program then write it to your radio.

The configuration file also contains stored settings for your scanner and I will set it up the way I have mine set up.
You can always make changes afterwards.

Thanks. I should have been more clear I guess. My conventional frequencies tab has a lot of objects in it. Somehow, sort of without realizing what I was doing, I managed to get a pretty nice scan list together that I'm happy with also. The entire process is just confusing though. They could have done a much better job at making this more user friendly. I feel like there's still so much I don't understand about how to move "objects" from the library to the frequencies tab to the scan list and vise versa. I'm sort of winging it and if it ends up working it's a surprise :D

Ubbe

You can probably think of your scanners programming as old scanners channels and banks.

You enter a bunch of conventional frequencies in the conventional list and set name tags and delay and other stuff. Then for each frequency there is a setting for a scanlist. Think of that as banks.

Perhaps you use scanlist 1 for marine frequencies so you enter 1 for all the standard marine frequencies. Then you use scanlist 2 for police and rescue and set 2 for the frequencies that belongs to that category. But then you have coastguard that might be using one of the marine channels for normal communication. Then you set a 2 next to the 1 so the frequency now belongs to both scan list 1 and 2, or bank 1 and 2 if you relate to an old school scanner. Then you might have scanlists for geographical areas, so you have scnlist 3 for your own town and scanlist 4 for another town. So that coastguard frequency might be local to you so you add scanlist 3 to it, so that frequency now has scanlist 1,2,3 assigned to it, which corresponds to Marine, Rescue and Local. So whenever any of those scanlists are enabled the coastguard frequency will be scanned.

In EZ-scans General settings you have scan control which tells what scanlist you have enabled to scan and you also set the name for each scanlist.
You can more easily see what each scan list contains in the tab that says Scanlists.

When you start scanning on the scanner it compiles the scanlists, which could take a while, and if the same frequency are found in several scanlists, or several times in the same scanlist, it will still only scan that frequency one time. So if one frequency have 10 different scanlists assigned to it, it will still only be scanned once and doesn't slow down the scancycle time.

/Ubbe

RedBase1

I've been fighting with EZ Scan for weeks myself. It's very confusing. V folders, scan sets, scan lists, convention tab with it's own list, etc. etc. I think it's very overboard for the average person and "EZ Scan" is a misnomer. To make matters worse, the manual is vague, and there are no videos on YouTube that are helpful...most of them are vague also.

I just want to program <50 frequencies into a list and scan them. Why does this require a B.S. in computer science to achieve?
[/QUO
Not sure which default you mean but in General Settings I always leave my default as #1
Hi , the default I mean is the box that is black box when clicked on ..so on my screen (pc ezscan) the black box showed #1 at start then I tend to and think I should change to next number each time I want to import freqs to that particular number ( so #2 , #3,#5etc)

KG4EMJ

You can probably think of your scanners programming as old scanners channels and banks.

You enter a bunch of conventional frequencies in the conventional list and set name tags and delay and other stuff. Then for each frequency there is a setting for a scanlist. Think of that as banks.

Perhaps you use scanlist 1 for marine frequencies so you enter 1 for all the standard marine frequencies. Then you use scanlist 2 for police and rescue and set 2 for the frequencies that belongs to that category. But then you have coastguard that might be using one of the marine channels for normal communication. Then you set a 2 next to the 1 so the frequency now belongs to both scan list 1 and 2, or bank 1 and 2 if you relate to an old school scanner. Then you might have scanlists for geographical areas, so you have scnlist 3 for your own town and scanlist 4 for another town. So that coastguard frequency might be local to you so you add scanlist 3 to it, so that frequency now has scanlist 1,2,3 assigned to it, which corresponds to Marine, Rescue and Local. So whenever any of those scanlists are enabled the coastguard frequency will be scanned.

In EZ-scans General settings you have scan control which tells what scanlist you have enabled to scan and you also set the name for each scanlist.
You can more easily see what each scan list contains in the tab that says Scanlists.

When you start scanning on the scanner it compiles the scanlists, which could take a while, and if the same frequency are found in several scanlists, or several times in the same scanlist, it will still only scan that frequency one time. So if one frequency have 10 different scanlists assigned to it, it will still only be scanned once and doesn't slow down the scancycle time.

/Ubbe

Thanks. I think I have a general understanding of what scan sets, scan lists, etc. are. But I think in my mind the hang-up is that I don't understand the relationship between the Conventional Frequencies tab and the Scan Lists tab and the Library Import tab.

What is the purpose of the Conventional Frequencies tab? Do I even need it? Right now I've got 300ish object showing up in there and I don't remember how they got there.

If I use "preferred" in the Library Import tab to find specific objects I want to add to a scan list, why don't they show up in my scan list when I click "import"? Right now I've got 70ish objects in there but when I try to import more through the Library Import tab nothing else is being added to my scan list.

Clearly someone far more intelligent than I am wrote this software. :)

Swipesy

Short answer to your Tab question. Your scanner is capable of scanning trunked systems, conventional frequencies, DMR systems and NXDN Systems. The programming of each type that you can scan is slightly different. So EZScan was designed to allow you to program each type seperately via Conventional Input, Trunked Input, etc.. A Scanlist is capable of containing all 4 types of Systems simultaneously. So you can have Conventional Trunked, DMR, and NXDN all programmed into Scanlist 1 or whatever number you chose.

Think of Scanlists as groups, i.e. Fire, Police, Community A, etc.
Scan Sets allow you to groups various Scan Lists together. So if you have Scanlists 1 - 10 and you want to listen to Scanlist 1, 3,5 and 7 you can make a Scan Set that just contains those Scanlists.

As to Library import you should first create your Scanlists. Then import your Library to the Scanlist you created. If you do not create seperate scanlists then the Library will import your items to the Default Scanlist you have chosen. With EzScan you can import all into the Default Scanlsit and then in EZScan change the items to the Scanlist of your choice. It all sounds confusing but it is not. It is quite simple once you take the time to study the layout of EZScan.

KG4EMJ

Ok thanks. I know it's frustrating to see the same questions over and over in a forum, but I appreciate the time to try and explain it. Sounds like I need to just find time to play around with it more until I get good with it.

Swipesy

Do not be concerned about asking questions. Many go through what you are experiencing but it will come to you and you will like the software and the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.