ARC500: ARC500 Demo Limitations

randyzaj

I inherited a Radio Shack Pro-197 from my uncle that past away a few years ago. I was just gifted a USB cable for it and I downloaded the ARC500 demo software to test it out. My uncle did some extensive programming and I would like to back it up or download the programming. Every time I attempt this with the software, the scanner says it's cloning and gets to 100% and reboots. The software just sits there like nothing is happening. Otherwise, the software controls the scanner just fine. The USB cable is stereo with a mono adapter. I haven't used the mono adapter because everything I've read says the scanner uses stereo. Does anyone know if not being able to download and save the config is a limitation of the ARC500 demo software? Or do I have another issue and I'm barking up the wrong tree? It almost seems like I'm getting one way communication. I can talk to the scanner but the scanner can't talk back. I'd like to know it works before investing money in software and subscriptions. Any help would be appreciated!

randyzaj

Thank you. I just heard back from Butel and I have the incorrect cable which is only capable of one way communication. Just purchased a different one. Should be here tomorrow. It was plugged into the right jack. I could send commands to the scanner just fine. I just wasn't able to get data back from it. Thanks for the help!

tvengr

Well Known Member
To read the scanner into the software, you go to the Scanner tab and click on Download from Scanner and save the file. If you did a Upload to Scanner with nothing in ARC500, that would erase the programming in the scanner. Please reread my previous post. You will not be able to receive the Genesee County trunked system with your scanner. Which cable do you have?

randyzaj

My current cable is a no name off of Amazon. I found another that's supposed to be compatible for 2 way coms. Thanks for the instructions. That's what I was doing. The scanner was sending the data. It just wasn't reaching the computer. As far as the trunked system, I can still listen to those frequencies, correct? The scanner just won't be able to seamlessly piece together 2 way communications, right? Let me know. I'm new to having a scanner that has some trunking ability. I still don't 100% understand how trunking systems work. Before getting this Pro-197 from my uncle's estate, I just had a Realistic Pro-2006 I bought in the early 90s as a teenager. Thanks!

tvengr

Well Known Member
As far as the trunked system, I can still listen to those frequencies, correct?
The PRO-197 is not capable of receiving any of the Genesee County talkgroups on the Genesee/Orleans County trunked system. All of the talkgroups for Genesee County are P25 Phase 2 (T in Mode column). Phase 2 talkgroups are TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) which means there are 2 audio channels (slots) on each frequency. The PRO-197 was manufactured before P25 Phase 2 existed and lis unable to decode it. The PRO-197 is capable of P25 Phase 1 only. The Orleans County talkgroups are currently Phase 1 (D in Mode column) and are able to be received by your scanner.

Le Roy​

DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
100232727TLe Roy PDPoliceLaw Dispatch

Orleans County Law Enforcement​

DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
41031007DOC SO AdminCounty Sheriff 2 Admin/RecordsLaw Tac

Make sure that your present programming cable is fully inserted into the PC/IF jack on the scanner. Sometimes, the connection is tight and you need to push hard. In ARC500, there is a generic USB cable driver available that will work with many of the programming cables. Go to the Scanner tab and click on Install USB Driver. If you have not done that, install the driver and see if your present cable works. If you ordered the Whistler PCIF01 cable from Butel, you will need to download and run the CDM20830_Setup.exe driver file to install it. WS1040/WS1065 Scanner Firmware Updates and Downloads

randyzaj

Thank you so much, tvengr. That's a lot of information you provided and I appreciate it. My new cable arrived today and it's working great. I was able to backup my uncles programming. I upgraded to the latest 2.1 CPU firmware. The DSP was already at the latest. I was able to download the Genesee County frequencies and trunk systems I wanted and get those uploaded to the scanner. As you mentioned I'm not going to receive the Phase II coms but at least I'm getting the conventional and the occasional Phase I coms. Unfortunately, I don't have the extra to go out and buy a Phase II scanner right now. I'll probably work on Monroe county later. That's the next county closest to us and where my family and my work reside. Right now, I need a break!

tvengr

Well Known Member

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Monroe County public safety is almost all P25 Phase 2 on the trunked system. You will not be able to monitor that either.
Actually a lot of the fire and EMS traffic is Phase 1. Yes, the TGs are Phase 2 enabled, but there are many Phase 1 only subscriber radios. Law Enforcement is mostly (or all) Phase 2.