Ardv1/Ardv10-pc-computer-control-new-s-w

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
SHORT WAVE LISTENING AND THE AR-DV1

Just so anyone who may be interested is aware of new Program developments.

I had 'one of those' moments when playing Radio a few days ago. The sort of moment that resulted in 'Q' and the Band Scope, for the DV1.

In the absence of lots of VHF and UHF activity I am concentrating on Shortwave transmissions, Commercial and Amateur, on the AR-DV1.

As many are aware Shortwave your reception is often 'restricted' by these two main factors

1. YOUR LOCATION
2. THE AERIAL(s) AVAILABLE

The way Radio Waves travel is quite complicated. You can have a reasonable antenna and be listening to Shortwave frequencies and struggle to hear some transmissions, which may be originating from a distance not very far from your location, but find you can receive another Station well, many times that distance away.

Radio Waves can often 'pass over' one place, but be heard many miles further on.

This happens no matter what equipment you are using, because of course we are always restricted by those two factors.

In addition for best results one usually needs a 'lot' of Aerial for Shortwave. Most of us just do not have the room for that, and have to rely on much more modest antennas.

So I am in an advanced process of developing some new Functions for eSPYonARD which can improve what you can actually hear, irrespective of your current Location and Antennas, using the WEB to access Aerials / Signals from many locations around the World, interfaced with the Program's Band Scope and 'Q'.

All this should be in the next eSPYonARD update, but if there any any who are particularly interested in Short Wave listening at the moment, and would like to BETA test these new functions, please email me and I will send you a link for each BETA as it is produced.

You can find two ICONS at www.espyonard.com which allow you to contact me via email.

redstar1230

Premium Subscriber
SHORT WAVE LISTENING AND THE AR-DV1

Just so anyone who may be interested is aware of new Program developments.

I had 'one of those' moments when playing Radio a few days ago. The sort of moment that resulted in 'Q' and the Band Scope, for the DV1.

In the absence of lots of VHF and UHF activity I am concentrating on Shortwave transmissions, Commercial and Amateur, on the AR-DV1.

As many are aware Shortwave your reception is often 'restricted' by these two main factors

1. YOUR LOCATION
2. THE AERIAL(s) AVAILABLE

The way Radio Waves travel is quite complicated. You can have a reasonable antenna and be listening to Shortwave frequencies and struggle to hear some transmissions, which may be originating from a distance not very far from your location, but find you can receive another Station well, many times that distance away.

Radio Waves can often 'pass over' one place, but be heard many miles further on.

This happens no matter what equipment you are using, because of course we are always restricted by those two factors.

In addition for best results one usually needs a 'lot' of Aerial for Shortwave. Most of us just do not have the room for that, and have to rely on much more modest antennas.

So I am in an advanced process of developing some new Functions for eSPYonARD which can improve what you can actually hear, irrespective of your current Location and Antennas, using the WEB to access Aerials / Signals from many locations around the World, interfaced with the Program's Band Scope and 'Q'.

All this should be in the next eSPYonARD update, but if there any any who are particularly interested in Short Wave listening at the moment, and would like to BETA test these new functions, please email me and I will send you a link for each BETA as it is produced.

You can find two ICONS at www.espyonard.com which allow you to contact me via email.
Thanks for your post, after my purchase and your help i hope to have many hours playing with your software, this added feature sounds great and i often try this same method but doing it in a few clicks sounds polished.
Thanks Paul

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
WHAT'S NEW IN ESPYONARD
V. (6.0007-0201 - MAY 2020

www.espyonard,com

Short Wave Reception SPECIAL now available

The Band Scope and 'Q' can now interact with Web Based SDR Sites all over the World so you are freed from your own Short Wave Aerial limitations and / or Location difficulties.

Pass Frequencies to and from the Program's Band Scope so you can monitor Short Wave signals globally, accessing Sites that use excellent Aerials in great locations.

Your AR-DV1 now has access to 'real time', fully tune-able SDR Waterfalls (below 30 MHz). Quickly switch between a Web SDR Site and your DV1 to compare reception.

Picking up a weak Short Wave Station on your DV1, no problem, with just a few mouse clicks listen to that Frequency via many different WEB installations.

Find a strong signal using the WEB SDR Waterfall, couple of clicks and transfer the Frequency to your AR-DV1, and find out how it is receiving the signal.

(Internet Access is required for the above Functions)

Several other additions / modifications to the Program, including:-

1. INTERFACED TUNING KNOB 'UP 'DN' ARROWS WITH THE BAND SCOPE
Users may now use the UP and DOWN buttons, either as a LEFT click - one step at a time, or RIGHT click - repeating, to manually move the Band Scope frequency as governed by the STEP selected.

2. 'Q' WINDOW
Now when a Frequency is added to the Scope's 'Q' List, that last entry is 'highlighted' for convenience, so you can instantly identify it.

3. BAND SCOPE MEMORIES - AMATEUR RADIO SHORT WAVE BANDS - AUTO INSERT
The Program Folder contains a sub folder :-
'HAM FREQ SCOPE MEMORIES'
Inside there is a file
'HamFreqSETTINGS.reg'
Double clicking this file will add Short Wave Amateur Radio Frequencies as the first 10 Band Scope Memories, ready for immediate use.
Windows will display a warning regarding adding files to the Registry - select 'YES'.
This will OVERWRITE the first 10 Band Scope Memories you may have already saved.
No photo description available.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Goodness only knows why "Short Wave Reception SPECIAL" above appeared as a Link, and not mine either. Please ignore the Link.

redstar1230

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on finnishing what must have been a personal goal as what you have done is very, very, unique and is a great add on to the Q feature of the program.
As a new user i just printed the pdf of the Q features, along with the140 pages of information to keep me going.
Thanks for the update i shall be having a play this weekend.
:)

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
THE AR-DV1 INTEGRATED WITH WEB SDR (0 - 30MHz)
Judging by the emails I have received in the last 36 hours I am very pleased that quite a lot of people like eSPYonARD's new SDR integration Functions.

Several have asked if it is possible to ADD, MODIFY or REMOVE SDR Sites to the Program, or will eSPYonARD need to be updated to achieve this. At the last count there were over 600 Web SDR facilities available Worldwide. I included a reasonable selection, but soon realised that adding them all would just make the 'lists' too cumbersome for comfortable use.

Happy to report it can be done. Although it meant a bit more intricate programming, I designed it so the SDR information is stored outside the Program itself.

The Program is designed to sort SDR information into Country order alphabetically, so if adding others, they can be included in any order, and will be sorted automatically.

Actually it is quite a quick and easy process to update items, but I will create a short .pdf step by step Guide in the near future. To be honest this last Update has left me
exhausted, and I need a few days off first.

With the current upsurge of HF Amateur Radio interest, and the sparseness of local VHF / UHF activity during the present 'crisis measures', I am having fun being able to use the DV1 and new Functions to switch 'to and fro' between the Radio and Web SDR facilities so I can listen to Shortwave, irrespective of how my own Antenna is performing. Of course the ability to use fully functional 'real time' Waterfalls with the AR-DV1 is an added bonus, lol.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
THE AR-DV1 INTEGRATED WITH WEB SDR (0 - 30MHz)
Judging by the emails I have received in the last 36 hours I am very pleased that quite a lot of people like eSPYonARD's new SDR integration Functions.

Several have asked if it is possible to ADD, MODIFY or REMOVE SDR Sites to the Program, or will eSPYonARD need to be updated to achieve this. At the last count there were over 600 Web SDR facilities available Worldwide. I included a reasonable selection, but soon realised that adding them all would just make the 'lists' too cumbersome for comfortable use.

Happy to report it can be done. Although it meant a bit more intricate programming, I designed it so the SDR information is stored outside the Program itself.

The Program is designed to sort SDR information into Country order alphabetically, so if adding others, they can be included in any order, and will be sorted automatically.

Actually it is quite a quick and easy process to update items, but I will create a short .pdf step by step Guide in the near future. To be honest this last Update has left me
exhausted, and I need a few days off first.

With the current upsurge of HF Amateur Radio interest, and the sparseness of local VHF / UHF activity during the present 'crisis measures', I am having fun being able to use the DV1 and new Functions to switch 'to and fro' between the Radio and Web SDR facilities so I can listen to Shortwave, irrespective of how my own Antenna is performing. Of course the ability to use fully functional 'real time' Waterfalls with the AR-DV1 is an added bonus, lol.

25 years of using CAT control software, I've never seen the amount of feedback, testing, updates, that you provide. I salute you and thanks.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
*** IMPORTANT - READ ***

Be aware!

Here are Serial Numbers of AR-DV1's I know of from an apparently faulty batch re. USB Ports failing. This is a hardware issue, not related to USB Cables, Windows or Drivers. In three of the cases the Ports worked for a very short time before they failed. In one it was present from the beginning.

There are in fact 4 units with the same problem I am aware of in the last 2 weeks. Must be an issue with a recent batch from AOR. Very disappointing. Earlier batches are OK.

At this time the cause is unknown. It may be electronic, or the USB Port being connected badly, and possibly not glued to the PCB as it should be.

I believe all were purchased in the U.K.

IF you have bought a DV1 recently you would be well advised to check its Serial Number. IF it may be within the same batch then unless you check its USB Port works with suitable software, testing for at least a couple of days, including unplugging and plugging in a USB Plug several times, you may not find out about the fault whilst the Radio is under guarantee.

If for no other reason than testing as above eSPYonARD (www.espyonard.com) is a software package that is free in its Trial package, so can be used to see if your Radio has this problem. Other software will do as well of course.

Last edited:

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
*** IMPORTANT - READ ***

Be aware!

Here are Serial Numbers of AR-DV1's I know of from an apparently faulty batch re. USB Ports failing. This is a hardware issue, not related to USB Cables, Windows or Drivers. In three of the cases the Ports worked for a very short time before they failed. In one it was present from the beginning.

There are in fact 4 units with the same problem I am aware of in the last 2 weeks. Must be an issue with a recent batch from AOR. Very disappointing. Earlier batches are OK.

At this time the cause is unknown. It may be electronic, or the USB Port being connected badly, and possibly not glued to the PCB as it should be.

I believe all were purchased in the U.K.

IF you have bought a DV1 recently you would be well advised to check its Serial Number. IF it may be within the same batch then unless you check its USB Port works with suitable software, testing for at least a couple of days, including unplugging and plugging in a USB Plug several times, you may not find out about the fault whilst the Radio is under guarantee.

If for no other reason than testing as above eSPYonARD (www.espyonard.com) is a software package that is free in its Trial package, so can be used to see if your Radio has this problem. Other software will do as well of course.

This should be a warranty issue, my guess is dealers will have the radio sent back to Japan for the repair. My screen repair took two months.
What a shame.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
This should be a warranty issue, my guess is dealers will have the radio sent back to Japan for the repair. My screen repair took two months.

I believe the Dealers have accepted the Radios back as faulty, and in 2 cases supplied replacements. Out of interest one of the replacements developed the same problem within a couple of hours.

Unless there are some very strong reasons Customers should insist on a replacement or a refund of course. Sending the DV1's back to AOR for repair is something the Dealer should do, not pretend that is the Customer's only option. If the Radio fails within the Warranty period it is the Dealer's problem, not the Customer, although I am aware that at least on French Dealer and one in the US refuse to refund or replace even under those circumstances, which highlights the importance of using a Credit Card when buying. The Card Companies will not allow that sort of thing.

On the positive side, this is a fault in just one batch, and most DV1's should be fine.

Nevertheless if there is the slightest chance a Customer feels they may want to use external Computer control at any time in the future, they should hurry to test their AR-DV1's with suitable software as soon as they can.

Bearing in mind on three of the known occasions the USB Ports worked for a short time.

It remains a superb Receiver, excepting this new problem.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A curiosity question more than anything else - can Q import the various SWBC lists, such as EiBi, Aoki or the HFCC lists?

If you want to know what is out there, see section 7.2 of this wiki article, where the addresses for each are listed;

You might want to consider importing the Perseus based userlist.txt file of the SWSKeds listing, as it merges numerous sources into one file. It was originally intended just for the Perseus SDR, but a few other programs can use either this file or its .csv file equivalent (which is also supplied in the same archive)...Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
By far the best way is to actually test the 'Q' import function by installing the Program's free trial. There are several example 'Q' files included, both original and 'Q' sorted.

The lists you mention do not however fit the necessary criteria, see List Requirements below regarding 'why'.

'Q' can cope with many types of lists (not all naturally), in its function of translating them into inter-active text files that can transfer details to the DV1 with a mouse click.

There are however 3 basics that are needed before it can do that.

LIST REQUIREMENTS
a. Any frequency line must contain a frequency with a '.' in it, e.g. 145.525
b. No other '.' must appear before the first frequency (see 'SORT FILTER')
c. The MAIN frequency required must be the first frequency to appear in the line
Those are the ONLY essential requirements..

A very simple example would be :-
My 2M favourite is 145.5125 using FM
For 2M USB I use 144.3125
Occasionally 144.21900 is used on USB
145.41250 FM is used by Friends
The Local Taxi - 163.5375 FM - is good
Mary had a little lamb who listens to 433.5675 FM
Sometimes 0433.5125 is preferred by the Lamb

In just a few seconds 'Q' produces a list, ready for instant use, bearing in mind the diverse nature of each lines construction.

'Q' converted this instantly to a 'Q' text file, importable into 'Q' for instant access and transfer of Data to the Radio just by clicking a Frequency line:-
0144.21900 OCCASIONALLY IS USED USB
0144.31250 FOR USE USB
0145.41250 IS USED BY FRIENDS FM
0145.51250 MY FAVOURITE IS USING FM
0163.53750 THE LOCAL TAXI IS GOOD FM
0433.51250 SOMETIMES IS PREFERRED BY THE LAMB
0433.56750 MARY HAD LITTLE LAMB WHO LISTENS TO FM

'Q' can deal with much more complicated lists
You have, for example, found the following on a Web Page:-

PUBWATCH FREQUENCIES
Aberavon - Neath Port Talbot - Shopwatch - 453.0250 FM
Aberdare - Cynon Valley - Shopwatch - 456.7500 FM
Aberdeen - Scotland - Shopwatch - 456.6500 FM
Aberystwyth - Wales - Shopwatch - 453.0875 FM
Abingdon - Oxfordshire - Shopwatch - 456.6750 FM
Accrington - Lancashire - Shopwatch - 456.4500 FM
Accrington - Lancashire - Arndale Accrington - 455.4750 FM
Airdrie - Scotland, Shopwatch - 456.7500 FM
Airdrie - Scotland, Shopwatch - 456.8500 FM
Aldershot - Hampshire, Shopwatch - 453.0625 FM
Altrincham - Cheshire - Shopwatch - 443.0000 FM
Altrincham - Cheshire - Shopwatch - (Broad Heath) - 441.1875 FM

or an extract from a UK Ofcom list
Licence number Sector Class Licensee Frequencies Location(s)
View licence number 0301622 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) The Torquay Golf Club Limited TX: 456.975 MHz RX: 456.975 MHz SX 92200 66200
View licence number 0298246 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Brian Wills-Pope Multiple Frequencies
See Details Multiple Locations
See Details
View licence number 0884867 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Mr Roberts Rogers TX: 163.0375 MHz RX: 158.5375 MHz SX 82000 57100
View licence number 1046988 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Storenet Radio Systems Limited TX: 453.25 MHz RX: 459.75 MHz SX 92000 65800
View licence number 0128641 Business Radio Business Radio (Technically Assigned) Debenhams Retail Plc TX: 461.3375 MHz RX: 461.3375 MHz SX 91800 63500

The 'Q' Sort process quickly produces an inter-active list. Images of the results can be found on Pages 145 / 146 of the Program's Manual.

When attempting to create Code that extracts and converts any diversely constructed list one must be able to discover the Frequency it contains and differentiate between just any sequence of numbers and one that denotes a Frequency.

However the lists you mention do not fit the criteria, in that they describe their Frequencies without including the '.' delimiter. e.g 5105 as opposed to the 5.105 that would be necessary.

Here is a shortened example of a list (the full converted list contains over 600 entries) copied and pasted into 'Q' from the Net

AA1HD Vernon CT 145.26000 D-STAR -0.600 442.15000 D-STAR +5.000
AA1KK Holyoke MA 447.37500 D-STAR -5.000
AA3E Eagleville PA 445.01875 D-STAR -5.000 1255.57500 D-STAR +12.000 1298.70000 D-STAR
AA4PP Naples FL 145.49000 D-STAR -0.600 441.50000 D-STAR +5.000
AB4FL North Naples FL 448.80000 D-STAR -5.000
AC6SO San Leandro CA 1284.50000 D-STAR -12.500 1299.50000 D-STAR
AC7O Logan UT 145.15000 D-STAR -0.600 447.97500 D-STAR -5.000 1299.75000 D-STAR
AD4DS Seymour TN 145.61000 D-STAR -1.200 444.47500 D-STAR +5.000 1293.00000 D-STAR -20.000 1253.00000 D-STAR
AF2A Ithaca NY 449.02500 D-STAR -5.000
AH2G Barrigada GU 448.50000 D-STAR -5.000
AJ5Q Altus OK 442.22500 D-STAR +5.000
AK4EG Burlington NC 145.32000 D-STAR -0.600 444.88750 D-STAR +5.000 1284.40000 D-STAR -20.000 1299.40000 D-STAR
IK2FCW milan italy 431.43750 D-STAR +1.600
K0FDG Washington MO 444.10000 D-STAR +5.000
K0FVF Golden Valley MN 145.15000 D-STAR -0.600 442.90000 D-STAR +5.000
K0HAM Louisburg KS 145.12000 D-STAR -0.600 442.12500 D-STAR +5.000 1287.00000 D-STAR -12.000 1257.00000 D-STAR

The Q Sort quickly transformed the above into this, which when imported into a 'Q' Window is a fully editable, filterable and inter-active text file (i.e. clicking on any line instantly transfers all the required date to the AR-DV1 for immediate monitoring):-

0144.67000 K5MIJ ROCKWALL DSTAR +0.60 440.6700 DSTAR +5.00 1292.6700 DSTAR +20.00 1253.6700 DSTAR
0144.67000 W5MIJ ROCKWALL DSTAR 0.60 440.6700 DSTAR +5.00 1292.6700 DSTAR 20.00 1253.6700 DSTAR
0144.92000 KA4YMZ GASTONIA NC DSTAR +2.50 443.9875 DSTAR +5.00
0144.92000 KB3TEM EAST STROUDSBURG PA DSTAR +0.00 438.0000 DSTAR +0.00
0144.92000 KJ4KLE WARM SPRINGS GA DSTAR +2.50 440.6750 DSTAR +5.00 1298.2500 DSTAR
0144.92000 N5MAD MINDEN LA DSTAR +2.50 442.5125 DSTAR +5.00
0144.92000 W4LDG MORRISTOWN TN DSTAR +2.50 44750 DSTAR +5.00
0144.94000 4JXA KNOXVILLE TN DSTAR +2.50
0144.94000 KK4SGC SAVANNAH GA DSTAR +2.50 440.5875 DSTAR +5.00 1282.7400 DSTAR 12.00 1298.0000 DSTAR
0144.94000 WB4KOG MEMPHIS TN DSTAR +2.50 442.0375 DSTAR +5.00
0144.96000 KI4SBB BIRMINGHAM AL DSTAR +2.50 443.9750 DSTAR +5.00 1282.5000 DSTAR 12.00 1251.0000 DSTAR
0144.96000 KJ4KLD ALBANY GA DSTAR +2.50 440.7000 DSTAR +5.00 1249.2500 DSTAR
0144.96000 W6DHS ALAMOGORDO NM DSTAR 0.40
0144.96000 WX4GPB STONE MOUNTAIN GA DSTAR +2.50 440.7000 DSTAR +5.00 1282.7000 DSTAR 12.00 1297.1250 DSTAR
0144.96250 W6O MENLO PARK CA DSTAR +2.50 44750 DSTAR +5.00 1272.1500 DSTAR +12.00 1249.1500 DSTAR
0144.97500 KK6NGT VISALIA FRESNO TULARE CA DSTAR +2.50 442.5000 DSTAR +5.00 1286.3750 DSTAR 12.00 1250.0000 DSTAR

No User intervention was needed except clicking a couple of buttons.

Just click on a line and the Frequency / Mode are immediately sent to the DV1 and shown on the Program's screen. The Frequencies can also be scanned, together with many other 'extras'.

All 'Q' Lists are simple text files, in effect a new kind of DV1 Memory Banks. but their number is only restricted to the Hard Drive capacity of your P.C (thousands if you have the capacity)., and text files take up very little space. There are other advantages in that they are not restricted to 50 entries, can be easily edited, personally described and saved as to the User's choice, and backed up, (to name but a few).

As text files the User can quickly create their own 'Q' files, see the first example above, as well as importing many lists found elsewhere.

The importing of Data is just one of many 'Q' functions, which notably includes full integration into eSPYonARD's multi functional Band Scope.

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Ran out of 'editing' time.

Regarding the list you mentioned, of those I looked at the problem is that the Frequencies are set out in kHz, as opposed to MHz (with a '.' delimiter) which is essential to 'Q' sorting through lines and working out if a series of numbers is actually a Frequency, and also FINDING the Frequency where it may not the first entry in any line.

Such lists 'could' first be 'edited' so that 'Q' could import them of course,. That would entail pasting them into Notepad, and adding the necessary '.' to each line where that was required.

So a purely kHz list as a text file such as
5680 Kinloss Rescue USB
5505 Shannon Volmet USB
6622 Shannon Volmet and Gander USB
5598 Shannon ATC Secondary calling on 8906 USB
5616 Shannon ATC Secondary calling on 8864 USB
11253 MILITARY ONE (ST EVAL) USB
5649 Shannon ATC Secondary calling on 8879 USB
5658 Shannon ATC USB
5450 Shannon Volmet USB
13264 IRL Shannon USB

is not catered for in 'Q'
NOTE the above is NOT in Frequency order, AND without the '.' delimiter

Edited to include the '.' as in MHz, it would be:-
5.680 Kinloss Rescue USB
5.505 Shannon Volmet USB
6.622 Shannon Volmet and Gander USB
5.598 Shannon ATC Secondary calling on 8906 USB
5.616 Shannon ATC Secondary calling on 8864 USB
11.253 MILITARY ONE (ST EVAL) USB
5.649 Shannon ATC Secondary calling on 8879 USB
5.658 Shannon ATC USB
5.450 Shannon Volmet USB
13.264 IRL Shannon USB

and is now completely 'Q' compatible.

With only 10 entries the 'Q SORT' instantly produced this inter-active list
NOTE Auto sorted into Frequency order. Although 'out of picture' the MODE is also included in every line. In any list where no Mode was originally included, 'Q-DB' can be set to use a default MODE.

I of course realise that such manual editing, if needed, is not always a quick operation, depending on the number of entries. Nevertheless it would be much less time consuming just adding a '.' per line, than entering each Frequency and its associated information one by one, in their entirety to the AR-DV1's own Memories, as the 'Q SORT' does the rest without further User intervention being necessary, also bearing in mind each of the Radio's Memory Banks is restricted to 50 entries.

Any lists quoting the required Frequency as MHz do not require editing for most successful 'Q' imports, providing the 3 simple LIST REQUIREMENTS described in the Post above are met.

Since most Scanner type lists use the '.' delimiter as in MHz ''Q' usually handles them now.

The following genuine comments from three eSPYonARD Users may be of interest to all those who took the time to read through these last 2 Posts and are still wondering what the Devil 'Q' is, lol.

Peter S Sep 2018
Despite only seeing this software for the first time yesterday, I decided to try out the Q-DB function to see if it was as good as was claimed. It wasn't just good, it was brilliant! I chose to load a sequence of over 200 airband frequencies in order to stretch it! They were copied, pasted into the correct directory and scanning in less than 2 minutes. I was very impressed and I've no doubt that the deeper I delve into the software, the more gems I will find.

CI March 2019
I've had the program for a few days and also the DV1. Neat program. The "Q" function has some pretty good text file cleanup and smarts to it (I used to be a programmer and the text algorithms obviously have some thought behind them).
I consider Q the power of this program. It's not as "sexy" as a direct import from radio reference, but the added power of copying and pasting lists from any source to a text file really versatile

JL USA October 2019
Q is really nice. That's what I like about your program. As I mentioned before, I tried for quite a while to confuse it (as a personal challenge). Arabic freq list was the only thing to make it could not handle. It would take a super long time to set up "systems", etc in my SDS200. Espy and DV1 and Q, copy/paste/sort/scan in about 5 seconds.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's a shame, really. That's a serious limitation for HF BC listeners, as these lists are pretty much the standard ones used a great deal. As you mention they can be edited, but it makes the operation rather clumsy

Thanks for the information.....Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
As you mention they can be edited

I imagine it depends on how much a User desires masses of Frequency information to be available inter-actively to the AR-DV1.

I used the entire List containing over 4500 entries, just as a challenge, lol., from
Mesa Mike's List of USA AM Band Radio Stations
[http://mesamike.org/radio/cdbs/amdb.mvc]

Just by using 'REPLACE in Notepad I converted it to a MHz list in 43 minutes.
e.g. 550 to 0.550 etc

Then I pasted that list into 'Q' to sort it. With thousands of entries to process it took just under 20 minutes to complete. Files with much fewer entries can take seconds to finish.

At the end of which all entries were in the 'Q' inter-active list, just a click away from sending to the DV1 etc.

So every Frequency in Mike's List ready for use in the DV1 in 63 minutes. Of course had it shown frequencies in MHz that time would have been reduced to just 20 minutes.

I used the SORT option of removing any extraneous numbers, but the resulting list of 4566 Frequency lines can be filtered by any information a line contains.

Here is the inter-active list (on left) using the names NORFOLK and BRUNSWICK as filters:-

Since there are no other Programs that have 'Q' it is I suppose an Academic question to wonder just how long it would take to have programmed these thousands of entries into the Radio manually. Of course the DV1's own Memories would probably not be able to hold that amount anyway, whereas with 'Q' and the DV1 all the information is in is a single text file, taking up just 132 kb of Disk space.

Last edited:

morfis

I used the entire list.....
Just by using 'REPLACE in Notepad I converted it to a MHz list in 43 minutes.
Entire list into libre calc simple formula to covert to MHz, exported to text...less than 2 minutes
Or full list into notepad++ and add in decimal separator ...less than 2 minutes but a few more keypresses.

Can't think of any reason to put all those freqs into my DV1 as I have far better HF receivers which work well enough with the standard HF listings (and/or CSVUserListBrowser).

No doubt we'll see an announcement that 'Q' can now import ILG, swskeds etc in due course making all of this irrelevant ;)

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Can't think of any reason to put all those freqs into my DV1

Would not be my first choice either, but I was replying to a specific question from Mike.

Of course with 'Q' you are not putting all those Frequencies into your AR-DV1, and as the Radio has a maximum capacity of 2000 Memories it could not be done with a list containing over 4500 entries anyway.

As a created 'Q' file it simply makes ALL those Frequencies available for instant use with the DV1, stored in a tiny text file should you ever want to use them.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Entire list into libre calc simple formula to covert to MHz, exported to text...less than 2 minutes
Or full list into notepad++ and add in decimal separator ...less than 2 minutes but a few more keypresses

Never even entered my head to use a Spreadsheet. Good point. I pasted Mike's list from the Net into Excel, applied a Formula to divide the Frequency Column entries by 1000 to convert them into the required MHz format, and saved the result as a Text file. As you said all done in a couple of minutes at a leisurely pace, lol.

Then just copied the new contents into 'Q' and after taking just 20 minutes to auto amend / edit / sort the 4500+ contents the entire list of Frequencies were in 'Q's inter-active window, with Tags, ready for action, and automatically saved for future use.

A single 'Q' Memory Bank text file for the AR-DV1, containing over 4500 Frequencies taking up just 132 kb of Disk space from an initially incompatible List in 22 minutes total, and very little User input required.