Ardv1/Ardv10-pc-computer-control-new-s-w

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
IC-R8600 - SMALLER TUNING STEPS WHEN USED WITH THE AR-DV1

My latest eSPYonARD is ready, but not yet released, pending what I imagine will be s 'fixed' Firmware release from AOR. Several reports of v.2101C problems, which incidentally I have managed to 'fix' in software.

I mention this because in s recent post, I said that I had incorporated an IC-R8600 function, that shows that Radio's frequency when the DV1 is tuned around 10.7 MHz. A surprisingly high number of people have mentioned using the DV1 with the Icom, so DMR and TETRA modes are available to it.

I also said I was not sure of what practical value that might be, but then I read the discussions regarding the R8600's tuning steps (and lack of small ones).

For those using the two Radios together, with the Program's ability to show the actual frequency the DV1 is interpreting from the R8600, one can also use the AR-DV1's smaller 'tuning steps' which include 0.50K, 0.10K, 0.05K and 0.01K.

For those who sometimes need lower Steps than the IC-R8600 allows, that could be useful hopefully.

Of course this does rely on eSPYonARD's ability to show the real IC-R8600's Frequency being received by the DV1, either when tuning via the Program's VFOA, or using the Program's Scope when both Receivers are connected via the Icom's 10.7 MHz output.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Still waiting for AOR to issue an update to firmware 2101C with the 'fixes'needed.

In the meantime eSPYonARD is working with FW 1907B.

Unless AOR find and correct all the issues with 2101C, not just those surrounding external control, then I recommend anyone not having FW 1907B definitely download it from the AOR site while it is still available, and at least save it somewhere. It only lacks the activation sequence for AOR's quite expensive Tetra add on, and 1907B is stable. In case anyone does not know, the 2101C upgrade does NOT allow encrypted TETRA to be decoded.

AOR have issued two updates to the FW they put out for the DV10 at the same time as that for the DV1, and from posts I have read they still are producing problems in some areas.

As a Programmer I feel it all depends whether they re-write the Firmware, based on 1907B, or just paper over the cracks that appeared in 2101C. In any case one can only hope any new firmware will be fully tested this time, and I appreciate how difficult that can be in order to ensure no 'bugs' remain, or indeed new ones introduced.

My experience and that of others has been that 2101C will throw up problems intermittently, so even more problematic.

I have been working on ways to tame 2101C, and my latest unpublished program update does (seem) to work with it, however that was only after adding around 4000 lines of extra checks and workarounds.

I am reluctant to upload my update until AOR releases its 'fixed' firmware, as at the very least every aspect of eSPYonARD will need to be tested using it.

I will keep that 'under review' of course, and post here when appropriate.

c0ne

I see you had too add another 1000 lines of code, previously it was still 3000 lines of code. If you express them in the amount of characters it even sounds like more..

G7HID

Updated firmware released:

AR-DV1 FIRMWARE UPDATE v2107A RELEASE NOTES
(c)2021 AOR, LTD.
July 14, 2021
Bug fixes:
- Fixed a bug that could lead the TETRA-GSSI function activation to fail.
- SCAN bank with mixed NFM and AUTO modes could cause receiver freeze.

Mike

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike.

Installed and being tested with the Program.

Already found a strange problem. From time to time the DV1 'clicks' and the dreaded 'No res. from Mainboard' appears on the DV1's screen. The same message that shows with the batch of faulty 'USB' chips. I was worried my DV1 had a hardware fault, but after re-installing FW 1907B that message no longer appears. Tested for at least an hour.

Back to the new v.2107A, and randomly the same (very worrying' message), especially as nobody knows if any of the 'bad batch' of DV1's are still around. In 5 years I have never seen that message appear on my Radio, only read about it in Forum posts. Clearly it appears to be a new lurking 'issue' in FW 2107A though. I 'may' have found a 'fix'.

It appears that the new firmware update corrupts (not removes) some Memory Bank/Channels inside the Radio. I performed a 'Full Reset', and re-loaded the Search and Memory details I had previously saved to the SD Card. Since then the 'No res. from Mainboard' has not occurred, and from the tests I have done in the limited time available, no further adverse issues.

A lot of testing over a few weeks now before I can at last publish the eSPYonARD update.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
NEW FIRMWARE V.2107A - ANOTHER ODDITY

Another small bit of odd behaviour with the new Firmware v.2107A.

As I mentioned I had to perform a Full Reset and re-load all saved Search and Memory details to the DV1, which then made the 'No Res.' message stop appearing during Memory operations.

However I then noticed the 'STEP' on the Radio's screen was showing '0k'. Of course not a 'proper' option. I ran eSPYonARD (the unreleased BETA designed to 'fix' FW v.2101C problems), and its screen also showed '0k', which means the DV1 had returned that value when the program queried the displayed STEP. That of course indicates the AR-DV1 had set itself to that value on startup.

It does not appear to be a real problem, just an oddity which I would have thought would have been picked up when AOR tested the firmware. I just set the STEP to a correct value, in this case 12.5k, and that appears to have fixed the issue.

I would be interested to know if anyone else experiences any strange behaviour with this latest firmware version, either as already described by me, or otherwise.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I took the plunge and bought a second AR-DV1. As many can imagine my original has had to do a lot of work over the last 5 years.

Now I can compare the behaviour of one DV1 using FW v.2107A, and one using 1907B, under manual or computer control at the same time, and hopefully eliminate any possibility of any issues being caused by an individual DV1's hardware.

I can confirm the same random 'No res' message appears on either DV1 using FW 2017A. When that happens the Radio has to be powered down then up, and sometimes the Memories have been corrupted, and only a full Reset and copying back the Memory details seems to work. This does not only happen under software control. I have not been able to tie this down to a particular function being called. There are other smaller anomalies from time to time.

As it is happening with two different DV1's it must be a firmware issue with 2107A. It never happens on either Radio with 1907B.

It may be worth noting that the original firmware (and up to the present) for the DV10 has had Memory, and locking up issues. Whereas the DV1's firmware has not until now.

In their attempt to get Customers to buy their expensive latest Tetra upgrade (still will not deal with encoded transmissions) I just have the feeling AOR may have abandoned the stable AR-DV1 firmware completely, and decided to use the already questionable DV10 firmware as the base for their latest firmware regarding both Radios. That would explain the DV1 now being subject to the same lock ups and Memory failings.

Unless you are in an area with a lot of un-encrypted TETRA, then the new and expensive activation process included in the latest firmware (really the only difference than the stable '1907B) is hardly worth considering anyway.

All new AR-DV1's are using the later and flawed firmware on arrival.

The bottom line is DV1 owners should seriously consider sticking with FW 1907B for the time being. No longer available at the AOR Site, but can be downloaded from the AR-DV1 FaceBook Group:-

www.facebook.com/groups/523205611194399

This is a great pity, as for several years AOR have usually issued well tested and reliable AR-DV1 firmware updates. Of course history indicates AOR will not acknowledge any problems (SIGH), and just treat any mention of it as 'fake news'. Nevertheless they may issue new firmware with these current problems eliminated. Only time will tell.

For those contemplating buying a new AR-DV1, it is certainly a very good device, especially if they install firmware '1907B'. Luckily updating the AR-DV1 firmware is a quick and very easy process,

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AR-DV1 and VOICE SQUELCH
In my efforts to find software fixes for FW v.2107A problems I came across something that may be of interest.

I have posted previously that the DV1's 'Voice Squelch' function did not work well. Actually it can be made to work.

This is, or should be of most benefit when searching, but wishing to not hear 'dead' carriers, only transmissions with voice/music etc.

There is a way to greatly improve this function, just by using it in conjunction with 'Noise Squelch'.
Now for example the eSPYonARD Band Scope, when set to sweep say the 9 MHz Broadcast band, is only letting audio through on Voice or Music channels.

This will work using the DV1's own 'search' or 'scan'.

Although any 'Voice Squelch' may be sometimes triggered into 'opening' if a signal contains certain pre-defined 'tones', and can never be 100% successful, I have to admit that providing both VSQ and NSQ are both selected, the DV1 function works very well.

VSQ parameters can be changed on the AR-DV1, so you may need to experiment.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
@marlbrook , although I no longer have my AR-DV1 I want to thank you again for all your time, effort and hard work in supporting, trouble shooting, and finding fixes and solutions to the AR-DV1! (y):cool: AOR should have you on their payroll for technical support!

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Re. Selecting VSQ and NSQ at the same time

I was doing it under software control, so just 2 mouse clicks.

I just checked the AOR User Guide and it does not even tell you how to select VSQ accurately.

1. VSQ
Press 'F' then '1'
First entry is 'SQL', highlight and turn Tuning Knob until you reach 'SCR', then press 'ENT'
'VI' will appear on the DV1's Screen signifying Voice Squelch is active.

2. NSQ
Hold down the Squelch rotart control for 2 seconds, the using the Tuning Knob select 'NSQ'

Both are now set at the same time

------------------------

That just uncovered another v.2107A FW failing

Pressing 'F' then '1' just results in a BEEP, no Menu appears.

Now not infering this could possibly be yet another 'bug', but its advantages to the User are too advanced for me to understand (SIGH)

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
USING THE DV1 RF GAIN CONTROL

At the risk of being accused of 'preaching to the converted' I wonder how many people actually use the RF Gain function when in particular listening to HF, AM, CW and Sideband signals?

Despite using my AR-DV1 a lot on Short Wave over the years it is only in the last few days that I really discovered the benefits of this control.

The accepted 'norm' is to set the AGC to 'SLOW' for example when listening to USB/LSB/CW.
However in my experiments I discovered that by using the RF-Gain, the signal to noise ratio can be drastically improved.

I realise manual control of RF-G is a little complicated.

First one has to press 'F', then '5' and use the Tuning knob to select RF-G, then press 'ENT'
After that the actual Gain is controlled via turning the Squelch knob.

Still if you are interested in HF monitoring I strongly recommend at least trying the Radio's RF-Gain functions. I can guarantee it will improve audio reception on HF by reducing the gain.

Admittedly I had already simplified that in eSPYonARD by adding a Slider in the Program's DELAY menu, but today I added an RF-G specific slider to the Main Window, which makes RF Gain control really easy. Sorry the additional Slider is not available yet, except to my intrepid band of BETA testers.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Agreed. RF gain "riding" if often overlooked. Makes a big difference.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Still if you are interested in HF monitoring I strongly recommend at least trying the Radio's RF-Gain functions. I can guarantee it will improve audio reception on HF by reducing the gain.

One thing I did not mention. You always need to 'balance' the reduction of RF Gain with the Audio volume.

As RFG is reduced, the Volume will drop. To obtain optimal Signal to Noise ratio, experiment by altering the Volume as well.

As an example I am currently listening to a USB signal on 5.505 (Shannon Volmet).

With any of the standard AGC settings (Fast, Medium, Slow) there is noticeable noise in the background. Balancing RF-Gain and Volume adjustments the signal has no noticeable noise at all, and is comparable with a strong FM signal.

RFG.jpg

MStep

Thanks marlbrook and all for re-emphasizing some of the more powerful features that seem to remain "hidden" (although not nearly in plain sight), such as getting to that RF gain control. Funny, but when I got the radio, I used it quite proficiently, and then it seemed to get lost in the dust as I tried to familiarize my self with some of the functions of other radios I had acquired afterwards. Ditto with your clarification of VSQ and NSQ.
Espyonard has automated, augmented and improved some of the processes, but you actually have to do some hands-on with the radio once in a while to recall some of the very simple and basic stuff. One thing I had completely forgot was that holding the "Mode" button in for a few seconds automatically puts the radio back into "Auto" mode without the necessity of scrolling through all the other modes.

It's kind of like the series you see on TV with the aircraft disasters---- the crew has become so dependent on "Auto Pilot" that when push comes to shove, they forget how to physically control the plane.

Love that AOR button lighting at night--- I just don't know if it's those glowing buttons and tactile feel of the main tuning knob as you spin it around most likely with your right thumb on the rim of the wheel supported by your right hand resting on the top/side of the radio, the DV1 screams to be handled.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
LATEST AR-DV1 FIRMWARE RELEASE V.2018B - OCTOBER 2021

Firmware v.2108B was released by AOR yesterday.

I have started extensive testing, both using the DV1 manually, and under software control. and will report back as soon as I can.

Once completed, and any alterations / fixes have been created / / applied I will release an updated eSPYonARD.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
TESTING AR-DV1 FIRMWARE 2108B

Well I have spent a lot of days testing FW 2108B.

For a time I thought AOR had fixed all the problems with their previous firmware releases in 2021.

Not quite (SIGH).

With only one big exception, I have decided 2108B is (almost) fit for purpose, however unless you really need the paid for extra Tetra facility I still believe FW 1907B is the most stable version to date.

Up until a few days ago 2108B was working without issues, then suddenly and totally randomly as far as I can tell the DV1 'clicked' and showed the dreaded 'No Res' message.

This has now happened several times, on two different AR-DV1s.'

Sometimes the issue seems to clear itself and the Radio operates, HOWEVER it is not working correctly. Using the UP/DOWN arrow buttons for example. They produce very strange results after a 'No Res' message.

The ONLY way of fixing this if the 'No Res' message has appeared is to re-power the DV1.
For the time being

I am now running v.1907B on one of my DV1's, and v.2108B on the other. If I find any other random problems I will report on them.

MStep

TESTING AR-DV1 FIRMWARE 2108B

Well I have spent a lot of days testing FW 2108B.

For a time I thought AOR had fixed all the problems with their previous firmware releases in 2021.

Not quite (SIGH).

With only one big exception, I have decided 2108B is (almost) fit for purpose, however unless you really need the paid for extra Tetra facility I still believe FW 1907B is the most stable version to date.

Up until a few days ago 2108B was working without issues, then suddenly and totally randomly as far as I can tell the DV1 'clicked' and showed the dreaded 'No Res' message.

This has now happened several times, on two different AR-DV1s.'

Sometimes the issue seems to clear itself and the Radio operates, HOWEVER it is not working correctly. Using the UP/DOWN arrow buttons for example. They produce very strange results after a 'No Res' message.

The ONLY way of fixing this if the 'No Res' message has appeared is to re-power the DV1.
For the time being

I am now running v.1907B on one of my DV1's, and v.2108B on the other. If I find any other random problems I will report on them.

Knowing the source, I'm taking those words as Gospel and sticking with 1907B.

FERRAINAELENA

good morning, I've been following you for some time.
I live in Italy where all transmissions are in tetra, I ask you aor dv10 scanner experts. Do you recommend this product or do I stay with sdr trunk tracker?
is there difference between dv10 and sdr trunk tracker?

thank you very much to those who can answer me

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AR-DV10 DISCONTINUED?

In their list of products, Yaesu have moved the AR-DV10 to their 'Archived Section', which presumably means they have discontinued it. Despite its AOR title there has been strong speculation that the DV10 was produced for AOR by Yaesu.

It still appears on AOR's USA site under their Models, but so does the AR 8600Mk2. The Manual for that is however shown in AOR's discontinued section. Moonraker (UK) are showing the Radio as discontinued.

Bearing in mind Icom have discontinued their IC-R30 so it is probably due to the world-wide Semi Conductor shortage, and if that ever sorts itself out we may see both Radios back on sale. It is doubtful ICOM discontinued the IC-R30 for any other reasons. The feedback (and presumably sales)has given it excellent reviews in all respects, except its annoying omission of DMR as a mode.

It may give AOR the excuse to bring out a new Model however, with the DV10's problems really fixed.

We should expect a lot more 'DISCONTINUED' Radios once the last production runs have been sold. In consequence unless they have sufficient capital and have diversified it remains to be seen how the Radio producers will be able to survive.

Hopefully the Semi Conductor shortage will right itself, but these current moves indicate the Manufacturers are not that convinced.

I supposes the bottom line is, do not wait too long if you intend to buy a new Radio. I bought a second AR-DV1 recently because of this.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
I am still having to test AOR's latest firmware, since another anomaly turned up last week. I do not want to post another eSPYonARD update until I have totally completed that. Hopefully in January. Thanks for your patience.