ARRL Rate Increase

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
End the nostalgia craze! How many Hams would prefer to learn how to get a surplus 7550E working with a good codeplug or learn to successfully program a surplus XTS2500, instead of learning what tubes a given Hallicrafters boat anchor used in the final. Enough with the gallons of black ink bleeding on and on about keeping a 70 year old anchor working. Publish a book about rebuilding the old timers and make some profit on that.

That's why I am likely done with ARRL.
Most of this info is available for free from forums and sites on the Internet, or good old fashioned local people helping fellow hams. I doubt you'll ever see an article in QST instructing someone how to (in many cases) download copyrighted software, bitbang it for OOB programming on 900 for instance, or for a variety of reasons, the main one being their advertisers (Yaesu, Icom, HRO, GigaParts) don't want the competition of hams finding out how good HIGH QUALITY fairly modern VHF/UHF surplus gear is.

What gets pushed is the EMCOM whackerism which is over the top.

AF1UD

I originally paid for 1 year, but found just like what many people are saying for the magazines to be full of ads for cheap, crap equipment, and useless information (or at least nothing that couldn't have been found online for free). I have not renewed since, and have steered people away.

In my neck of the woods the local ARES people require you to have an ARRL membership to be a "leader". Of which I laughed at them.

Most of this info is available for free from forums and sites on the Internet, or good old fashioned local people helping fellow hams. I doubt you'll ever see an article in QST instructing someone how to (in many cases) download copyrighted software, bitbang it for OOB programming on 900 for instance, or for a variety of reasons, the main one being their advertisers (Yaesu, Icom, HRO, GigaParts) don't want the competition of hams finding out how good HIGH QUALITY fairly modern VHF/UHF surplus gear is.

What gets pushed is the EMCOM whackerism which is over the top.

You make a great point about there being so much "cost-effective" surplus equipment out there. But let's face it, most hams are appliance operators and most can barely program their own radios, let a long a piece of Commercial Equipment. It's hard enough teaching them DMR.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
  • Average ARRL Member is 68 years old. 54% are Extra Class, 31% General Class.
  • Average Nonmember is 52 years old. 75% are Technician Class, 18% General, 7% Extra.

That's straight from the ARRL. If you wonder why the ARRL can't/refuses to get with the times, it's because a bunch of really old guys run it. Sure, the average age of hams period is high, but that's quite a difference between the ARRL members and non-members. Same with the license distribution.

You know what younger hams don't want to do? Build/refurbish old tube radios. You know what young hams don't want to be? Whackers.

Yet this is just about all the ARRL ever talks about. Their stance on EMCOMM Whackerism and "When all else fails" is simply these 68 year olds probably truly believing in their hearts that ham radio will be the only thing around when all else fails, like it was in the 60s when some of these guys were getting their licenses. These old folks are just so out of touch with everything amateur radio that they're driving the hobby into obsolescence.

The salaries of the higher officers are also completely obscene, as somebody pointed out. My $59 is better spent elsewhere.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber

I used the surplus radio example to make a point that ARRL needs to get on with technology for today and not obsessively dwell on gear that was popular 50 years ago, like the Swan 240 transceiver. They might as well rename QST to Vintage Boat Anchor Illustrated. They did this very thing after WW2 when surplus gear flooded the market and plenty of commercial manufacturers existed happily selling gear with features that the surplus stuff didn't have. We no longer get GI surplus gear, but we have access to surplus public safety and municipal/State radio gear. No government agency at those levels are buying up or having HF gear made for them.

As far as their advertisers go, stop making postage stamp sized portables and contract out the software development! The buttons are virtually unusable for many men and the programming is weirdly atrocious. Many hams, myself included, buy surplus radios and use them instead of the 'Space Patrol' gear that others make specifically for the market. Icom Amateur gear engineers need to apprentice at their commercial division so as to know what a true user friendly portable is. DMR is represented in the amateur market by a company who uses the 'hard sell' and puts off many.

The ARRL seems to want to emulate their fathers' time and not the current era of amateur radio. We no longer drive Packards, nor do we use slide rules. The vast majority of us do not smoke any longer and nearly a third of Americans have an undergrad degree. We no longer have Hi-Fi sets at home, but we do have digital music services. Tube gear is an interesting part of the hobby, but so is WSPR and EchoLink.

ARRL is stuck in another era.

4ff5d8236bb3f74c02000013

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Just re-upped last year BECAUSE I wanted to read QST. The paper version. I can take it with me wherever I go and read it when I want. So long ARRL.........

pandel

I beat the increase years ago. I didn't like the direction they were headed and dumped them years ago. I predict that the ARRL will no longer exist in any form within 10 years unless they wake up and look around.
If people don't like what you're selling, they won't buy it. Eventually your income source dries up and you are forced to either make serious changes or shutter your doors.
That my friends is his how a market economy works.

WA8ZTZ

The obsession with attracting youth reminds me of spinning wheels on ice and not going anywhere. Ham radio will make it or break it based on its own merits and not on finding some new demographic. Ham radio has never been "cool". In fact, it is probably uncool. Ham Radio attracted me because it was different and challenging. Never knew anybody named "Elmer', figured it out myself... that was part of the challenge.
Let's face it, ham radio, for whatever reason, attracts mostly middle-aged males. So, what's wrong with that? My guess is that part of the reason is that the kids are raised and gone and now there is time and money available for a hobby. Hmmm... guys with time and money available, sounds good to me. So why not double down on your core demographic... seems to work for Harley Davidson.

AK_SAR

I've renewed my membership. It's not that big of a deal. An imperfect voice in DC for amateur radio is better than no voice at all, in my opinion.

sloop

I will renew in September, but any future renewals will strongly depend on the ARRL's efforts in getting House (H.R. 555), and Senate (S.1534) passed and become law since they have been 'working' on getting it passes for almost 4 years. As far as QST is concerned I don't enjoy a magazine that is mainly advertisements with a dash of technical articles, and equipment reviews (another form of advertisement).

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
H.R. 555 in the current Congress is something about paying manufacturers for vaccines.

S.1534 in the current Congress has to do with using Medicare payment rates for skilled nursing facilities.

How do either of these bills relate to amateur radio?

wwhitby

Feed Provider
H.R. 555 in the current Congress is something about paying manufacturers for vaccines.

S.1534 in the current Congress has to do with using Medicare payment rates for skilled nursing facilities.

How do either of these bills relate to amateur radio?

The Amateur Radio Parity act was HR555 in the House and S.1534 in the Senate back in 2017. Yes 2017. Six years ago. From what I read, it gets introduced each year and then dies each year.

That also speaks volumes about the ability of the ARRL to successfully lobby Congress......

sloop

oops...that's what I get for getting information from the ARRL Web page. I should have checked the bill numbers. There is another bill currently in the House that deals with HOA's (and others) and amateur radio antennas. That was the one I was referring too. I agree with wwhitby about the ability (or desire?) of the ARRL to lobby congress.

AK9R

Super Moderator
It's helpful to refer to legislation by the current bill numbers.

H.R.3241 was introduced into the 118th Congress by Rep. Debbie Lesko (R-AZ) on May 11, 2023. It was referred to House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications and Technology on May 12, 2023. The bill would "direct the Federal Communications Commission to revise section 97.307(f) of title 47, Code of Federal Regulations, to allow greater flexibility in the amateur radio service, and for other purposes." In essence, the bill would direct the FCC to act on various proposals impacting amateur radio, some of which have been sitting at the FCC for several years. The bill has no cosponsors.

H.R.4006 was introduced into the 118th Congress by Rep. Bill Johnson (R-OH) on June 12, 2023. It was referred to the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications and Technology on June 16, 2023. The bill would "amend the Communications Act of 1934 to prohibit the application of certain private land use restrictions to amateur station antennas, and for other purposes." The bill is cosponsored by Reps. Joe Courtney (D-CT), John Larson (D-CT), and Mike Bost (R-IL).

I think the desire is there to lobby Congress and the ARRL has a Washington DC lobbying firm on retainer. But, lobbying costs money. The nationwide associations of realtors and home owner associations have lobbyists, too.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
With all the Congressional infighting, investigations [actual and anticipated] of presidents, and the election cycle; very little legislation will make it to a floor vote. Ham radio bills have very, very little chance of making it to the floor.

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
Been an ARRL member and a RAC member since I became a ham 3 years ago.

I am a member basically only for ARRL's QST magazine. It's a lot more interesting than RAC's Canadian Amateur magazine. As a relatively new ham, I like reading about all the different sub-sets of the hobby.

And ham radio is such a multi-facetted hobby that it is difficult to satisfy all the cats in the herd. I think QST generally does a good job because it's got at least one article for pretty much every niche in every issue.

As an operator, I am 90% POTA so all the articles on DXpeditions and (fill-in-the-blank)-OTA are of interest to me. I like old tech, so the reprints of the old magazine pages are great, as are the articles on "classic" equipment that I can only drool and dream over. And I'm not that old, for a ham (57). I find the circuits of that era easier to understand than the modern stuff (I do not have an electronics background).
Contesting, on the other hand, doesn't thrill me, but others seem to like it. The modern tech reviews and modern electronics articles whizz over my head, but the folks with an electronics tech background seem to eat it up. Antenna building is well within my skill range, so I like those articles as well.

To each his own--and it's a difficult balance to please everyone in one magazine.

I've never read any of the online magazines, and probably would never do so. They are so awkward to navigate. I like keeping a paper copy of QST on the back of the toilet, as that is my preferred reading spot!

I'm OK with the fee increase. Honestly, the QST magazine is good enough to be worth it IMHO.

That all being said, the ARRL has other roles. It is also supposed to represent the interests of hams at the FCC and ITU, so I flipped them an extra $50 for "spectrum defence" which I think is an honourable cause.

The EMCOMM stuff has never turned my crank so I don't read a lot about it. But I think at this point ham radio for EMCOMM purposes is a solution in search of a problem. Our local ARES group folded in this neck of the woods some years ago, long before I got into the hobby. They real emergency groups just don't need hams milling about.

On the other hand, there could be a role for hams at a more local level. We had a major power outage a year ago, and by instict a bunch of us hopped onto the repeater and were sharing tips of which gas stations still were pumping and which major intersections had the lights restored. It happened kinda randomly, but was useful. I can see a realistic role for ham radio clubs to do something like that more formally, even if just amongst themselves. Not a "public safety" service, but more like a "community helper" service.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Always hated the one of the old man trying to impress the grand kids.
Your complaint would be with the advertiser, probably Bridgecom, rather than the ARRL or the editors of QST.