ARRL Rate Increase

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
My displeasure with the ARRL, and it might not be directly with them, is the fact that in order to asssist in RACES, or volunteer with your local EMA you "have to be a ARRL member." Even when I was an active member on our local volunteer fire department and rescue squad, this requirement was in place and was told this was an ARRL requirement.
My other displeasure was what someothers have mentioned, The amount of trees they have killed sending me request to rejoin, if I saved the and rolled them tight, I could heat my house in the winter (in an emergency), we won't even talk about all the electrons they have made mad sending out the emails.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
is the fact that in order to asssist in RACES, or volunteer with your local EMA you "have to be a ARRL member."
There are no national rules for RACES participation, so that must be a local requirement. Also, the ARRL has nothing to do with participation requirements for RACES at all. If you are dealing with any local or state RACES participation rules, they were determined by local or state emergency management agencies. Can't blame the ARRL for rules made at the local level.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
RACES is not an ARRL program, it is a separate radio service as defined under 47 CFR 97.407. The ARRL has zero authority as does any other NGO. RACES is amateur radio for GOV use. A GOV may have whatever qualifications/requirements they wish regarding participation.

N2AVH

As a long-licensed but long-inactive ham, QST has been my link to the hobby but I can’t justify the price for online-only and I have no confidence that the surcharge will sustain the print version. I just joined this forum to say that I’m happy to see so many people share my views that the emcomm emphasis is disconnected from reality and the efforts to recruit young people are misconceived in their present form. I suspect many people are like me- became a ham a while back, 1979 in my case, and when I got to a point in life where I could return to activity, I didn’t recognize or especially like much of what I saw. This isnt the League’s fault or anyone else’s, just the evolution of technology.

cliffcor

Everyone must make their own decision. For me, getting the notice to pay more for the magazine, in the middle of my membership period was a deal breaker. I had renewed for 3 years about a year ago, and to change the terms of the membership prior to my renewal time was breaking their agreement with me when I renewed. This mid membership change de-valued the money I had invested in them.
My decision was to cancel my membership, request a refund of my unused renewal. It was sad for me to do so, but I feel they broke faith with me.

pandel

I requested a refund as well. Never heard a word. I thought I was the only one they refused to communicate with (letters, emails). The ARRL will be gone in a few years if they keep this crap up. I miss them about as much as I miss a migraine.

k6cpo

I originally paid for 1 year, but found just like what many people are saying for the magazines to be full of ads for cheap, crap equipment, and useless information (or at least nothing that couldn't have been found online for free). I have not renewed since, and have steered people away.

In my neck of the woods the local ARES people require you to have an ARRL membership to be a "leader". Of which I laughed at them.

You make a great point about there being so much "cost-effective" surplus equipment out there. But let's face it, most hams are appliance operators and most can barely program their own radios, let a long a piece of Commercial Equipment. It's hard enough teaching them DMR.

That's a requirement imposed by the League. Anyone that holds an official job in a section, whether it be in ARES or some other job, is required to be an ARRL member. I'm the appointed Public Information Coordinator in our section and I'm required to be a member. This also applies to the Section Emergency Coordinator, Assistant SEC, District ECs and regular ECs.

I've renewed my membership. It's not that big of a deal. An imperfect voice in DC for amateur radio is better than no voice at all, in my opinion.

Amen...

I'd like to find out about becoming a Life Member, but their website still shows they are not accepting new applications because they haven't established new rates yet. It's been like that since July.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Other than the aspirational member who want to run an organization, what is draw towards membership in the League for the average Ham?
It used to be the knowledge in QST, but the internet has circumvented that. There are no discounts from the big radio manufacturers for entry into the hobby and upgrading, no meaningful support for local clubs/organizations, no fraternal brotherhood/sisterhood, not even a mailed out certificate of membership [so sorry, mate - just a PDF for you], but you can show up in one of the most expensive States in the Union where the League insists on residing with all the 'N.E. bluebloods' and transmit your call sign on the HQ shack for a cost of membership thrill.

The average member now gets little to nothing from membership. Now, the League appears to be refusing to return time deprecated dues to members who were promised QST magazine as part of their dues. Everything they offer is based on what traditional members want that has little to no costing to the organization.

Less than 25% of US Hams belong to the League and while that isn't a large population, some anonymous member may bring a class action property tort action [conversion of assets (monies) for use of others] against the League, forcing them into receivership, and the possible termination of Grand Poobah Minster and a cleaning out of his hangers-on.

Last edited:

pandel

The whole thing has become a self congratulatory loop which needs to end. Just listen to some of the nets. The first 10-15 minutes are spent calling all the ARRL section managers and other officials that may or may not be on the net to check in and say a few words which amounts to no real information being passed and the net starting about 10-15 minutes later than posted. WHY???
I solved the problem from my end like a lot of other hams I know ........ We quit listening to those nets. Have fun boys.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The average member now gets little to nothing from membership. Now, the League appears to be refusing to return time deprecated dues to members who were promised QST magazine as part of their dues. Everything they offer is based on what traditional members want that has little to no costing to the organization.

Less than 25% of US Hams belong to the League and while that isn't a large population, some anonymous member may bring a class action property tort action [conversion of assets (monies) for use of others] against the League, forcing them into receivership, and the possible termination of Grand Poobah Minster and a cleaning out of his hangers-on.
Again I call out their 501C.3 filing and look at where the money goes: to pay a few "rich men north of Richmond" bloated salaries. That is what you get for your "membership dues".

AK9R

Super Moderator
It used to be the knowledge in QST, but the internet has circumvented that.
Is there someone on the Internet who is doing comprehensive lab testing of new radios?
no meaningful support for local clubs/organizations
ARRL Affiliated Clubs get a listing on the ARRL website which might help send new members in the clubs direction. ARRL Affiliated Clubs have access to mailing lists of new hams. ARRL Affiliate Clubs get a commission if someone joins the ARRL through the club. The ARRL conducts seminars designed to help new club officers get up to speed with running their club. There is a monthly column in QST that showcases what clubs are doing.
The average member now gets little to nothing from membership.
Now, the League appears to be refusing to return time deprecated dues to members who were promised QST magazine as part of their dues.
The official response is that those members were promised a subscription to QST. And, their membership will still give them access to the online QST.

Look, the dues increase had to happen. Costs were exceeding revenue. Did the printed QST have to be split off as a "subscription"? I'm less on board with this action than I am the dues increase. However, printing and mailing a monthly magazine continues to get more and more expensive. The solutions seem to be force your readers to the online version or increase prices or close the doors.

For full disclosure, I am the ARRL Indiana Section Manager.

sgbradley16

Premium Subscriber
Full Disclosure #1: I am an ARRL Life Member. I became a Life Member in 2001 just before an impending dues increase. At that time, the ARRL set the Life Membership fee at 25 times the current annual membership fee. In 3 more years, my return on investment will have zeroed out and I will have been unaffected by three dues increases.

Full Disclosure #2: I am an elected ARRL Section Manager. That means I am responsible for implementing the ARRL field programs in my section (Indiana). It also means that I am responsible for "waving the ARRL flag" in my section. I mostly do that by attending hamfests in Indiana and setting up an ARRL table so that folks know the ARRL is still around. I've been to 6 hamfests so far this year and will probably attend 6 more this year. I also maintain the section website and publish a weekly and a monthly newsletter for the members.

Full Disclosure #3: I'm not happy about the dues increase. I participated in the member survey earlier this year, but the organization went in a direction that I would not have chosen.

Now, let me address some comments that have been made:

The recent FCC NPRM would codify in the rules that which is already being done on an experimental basis. IOW, market trading via HF is already happening.

OTOH, the railroads took that 2 MHz slice of spectrum where amateur radio had a secondary allocation and are now using it for Positive Train Control which is supposed to keep trains from running into each other which some might say is a good thing.

So, now you can use the money that the ARRL will want to subscribe to QST and subscribe to QEX instead. QEX is wall to wall technical articles. Or, you can save your money and read QEX online.

Parks on the Air is not an ARRL activity. POTA is organized by a different group.

The email addresses and phone numbers of every ARRL Division Director and Section Manager are published in QST. As a Section Manager, I routinely get phone calls or emails from hams who have a problem that they think I can solve. I answer their phone calls and emails and try to deal with the problem as best I can.

By comparison, I used to be a very active member, official, and director of the Sports Car Club of America. Their dues are currently $80/year and you have to pay another $10-25/year in local chapter dues. If you are a pilot and want to join AOPA, their dues are $89/year. If you are a golfer and want to join the USGA, that'll cost $36/year. If you are a fisherman and want to join B.A.S.S., that's $15/year.

It's notable, that in order to participate at an autocross or rally, or to fly an airplane, or to golf, or to fish, or to get on the air with amateur radio, you don't have to be a member of any of those organizations.

There was an ARRL Board of Directors meeting last weekend. (Directors are elected by the membership.) The dues increase passed 12 to 3. From what I understand, most of the directors were OK with the $10 dues increase, but many of them were not OK with separating the QST subscription from the membership dues. Frankly, I tend to agree with this sentiment. OTOH, if you don't want the printed QST, which many people have apparently said they don't want, you don't have to pay the extra $25 and new annual dues are $59/year.

LotW is more of a benefit for DXers than contesters, I think. Guys who are chasing DX contacts, VHF/UHF Grids, etc., get a lot of benefit from confirming contacts in LotW rather than having to collect QSL cards and get them checked. And, while it's not mandatory, should those who "care for" LotW support it?

Most of the contests you hear on the air are not sponsored by the ARRL, but by other organizations. The ARRL sponsors 6 HF contests per year.
I joined for the first time at Orlando Hamcation in February. My best friend (also a ham) also joined. We will wait until Orlando Hamcation 2024, but without a much better offer we are both not renewing. Most hams I have spoken with also are not renewing, hopefully ARRL will reconsider their pricing before losing too many members.

merlin

I haven't received QSTsince July. no renew stuff, and my email is different than whats on record.

wa6kno

I had an idea. What if one or more of those high-paid arrl execs. took a wage cut and gave that towards everyone getting the qst mailed to them with a membership? I'm not going to renew when my subscription ends as I was expecting to get QST mailed to me during that time. I renewed for 3 years. That was 2 years ago. So long ARRL.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I had an idea. What if one or more of those high-paid arrl execs. took a wage cut and gave that towards everyone getting the qst mailed to them with a membership? I'm not going to renew when my subscription ends as I was expecting to get QST mailed to me during that time. I renewed for 3 years. That was 2 years ago. So long ARRL.
Peace out

AK9R

Super Moderator
You can see the salaries of the "high-paid ARRL execs" by downloading the ARRL's IRS Form 990. Note that this is the 2022 filing as 2023 hasn't been filed yet.

The total salaries of the "high-paid ARRL execs" in 2022 was a little over $1 million. I understand that mailing QST to the existing members until the end of their membership terms would have cost about $1.7 million.