Avon Fire System On The Air

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This whole thing is goofy. NRFD going here, while NRPD is going to Marcs. So much for interoperability! On the UHF systems, all they had to do was change channels. No cost. Now it's going to cost them money, per radio, per month, just to talk to each other.

All they'll have to do now is change channels; it's just different systems.

And no matter what system they use, they'll have to contend with user fees to some extent; these things aren't cheap to maintain.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Since I cannot monitor this system myself, are all the talkgroups on here FDMA or are they TDMA or a combination? We have them in the DB as "D", which is FDMA.

wd8chl

All they'll have to do now is change channels; it's just different systems.

And no matter what system they use, they'll have to contend with user fees to some extent; these things aren't cheap to maintain.

Not true. What happens now is each dept maintains their own repeater. PD does not pay FD to use theirs, and FD does not pay PD to use theirs.
With this, FD will have to pay MARCS the $15 or $20 per radio per month just to talk to the PD, and vice-versa. Oh, and because 5-city is phase II, PD would have to get phase II licenses for their radios. And they aren't.

wd8chl

Looks like the "5-city" system may become a 6-city system. Elyria FD might be joining.

The chief wanted nothing to do with it just a couple of months ago. They just spent a ton of money on new stuff just a few years ago.

RT48

Just in the last 24 hours, I have started hearing some type of automated fire dispatch on TG 4005 with RID of 4705007. I just heard a call for Wellington Fire so I'm wondering if this is the Lorain County 911 dispatch.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
Just in the last 24 hours, I have started hearing some type of automated fire dispatch on TG 4005 with RID of 4705007. I just heard a call for Wellington Fire so I'm wondering if this is the Lorain County 911 dispatch.
I see this listed as Wellington / Amherst / Oberlin / Avon Lake Fire Alert yet I have heard alerts for just about all counties in Lorain. Maybe a better description would be Fire Alert Lorain County?

RT48

I see this listed as Wellington / Amherst / Oberlin / Avon Lake Fire Alert yet I have heard alerts for just about all counties in Lorain. Maybe a better description would be Fire Alert Lorain County?

Here's what I said in my submission:

"Automated voice system dispatch for Lorain County FDs. So far I have heard calls for Wellington, Amherst, Oberlin and Avon Lake FDs"

By saying "so far" I thought I was implying it might apply to more than the ones I listed.

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
The TG being used is the correct one for the NE Fire TG (Avon, Avon Lake, Sheffield Lake, and Sheffield Village), but I'm not sure why it's being used for the Locution

bcahill0423

Here's what I said in my submission:

"Automated voice system dispatch for Lorain County FDs. So far I have heard calls for Wellington, Amherst, Oberlin and Avon Lake FDs"

By saying "so far" I thought I was implying it might apply to more than the ones I listed.

That TG is being used as the station alerting channel for the County. Each department is going to have a radio with that TG.

wd8chl

That TG is being used as the station alerting channel for the County. Each department is going to have a radio with that TG.

Of course, most aren't gonna be able to hear it. There is only the 3 sites in the extreme NE part of the county. And no plans for expansion. Still licensed to city of Avon.
And it sounds awful...

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
As of now Lorain County Locution is probably the best label. I can't say for sure, but I believe that they are testing the locution and this TG will become the NE fire channel. Don't quote me on anything that involves radios in Lorain County LOL.

RT48

I am hearing what I suspect is Sheffield Lake PD traffic on TG 4340. The car numbers are 7XX and I googled up an image of a SLPD car and it has a 7XX number. Not enough traffic for me to determine what the TG is being used for.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I believe you are correct based on the addresses that they are being dispatched to and report from.

wd8chl

I am hearing what I suspect is Sheffield Lake PD traffic on TG 4340. The car numbers are 7XX and I googled up an image of a SLPD car and it has a 7XX number. Not enough traffic for me to determine what the TG is being used for.

It can be difficult to tell, since the Village also uses 7xx numbers. I think the village uses the lower end, and the Lake use higher end of that sequence...I think...

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It can be difficult to tell, since the Village also uses 7xx numbers. I think the village uses the lower end, and the Lake use higher end of that sequence...I think...

You guys all need to figure this out, or nothing ends up in hte DB. I had added TG 4340 as Sheffield Lake PD since Sheffield Village PD is already in there as TG 4345.

What's the old saying though? Pee or get off the pot. Meaning, eventually somebody needs to determine what's what and actually submit it to the DB. No amount of speculation in the forums is going to accomplish anything. If these agencies are all in the clear, there is no reason it should take more than a day or two to figure them out.

Mike

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I was getting what sounds like EMS comms today on TG4600 "66 to Dispatch, we made patient contact, no need for checkup" from RID 4712400

nses44ac

Premium Subscriber
From a conversation last week 4600 appears to be Sheffield Lake FD