Avon Fire System On The Air

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
I was getting what sounds like EMS comms today on TG4600 "66 to Dispatch, we made patient contact, no need for checkup" from RID 4712400
That would be Sheffield Lake. It appears that the TG is now fully functioning. Best label would be Lorain County NE Fire

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I now have a few days where I can listen to this system. It's a but spotty, but I can understand most transmissions and am able to get the UID's. How does the dispatching work? Does each town FD have their own "Dispatch"? Or do most go through Lorain County?

Also, do the Sheffield and Sheffield Lake PD's get self dispatched?

I will try to gather as much as I can these next few days and update the wiki.

rcid1971

Premium Subscriber
Call their non-emergency line or email their chief/public affairs officer and ask, if you don’t get an answer here.

RT48

I now have a few days where I can listen to this system. It's a but spotty, but I can understand most transmissions and am able to get the UID's. How does the dispatching work? Does each town FD have their own "Dispatch"? Or do most go through Lorain County?

Sheffield PD is dispatched on TG 4355 and Sheffield Lake PD on TG 4340.

I'm hearing most of the FDs being dispatched via some kind of automated voice system on TG 4005 and I hear the FDs responding to dispatch on TG 4600.

wd8chl

All Lorain County fire depts are dispatched by the 911 center in Elyria. Most police are too. I think Lorain and Elyria may be the exceptions, and even then 911 dispatches them most of the time.

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
All Lorain County fire depts are dispatched by the 911 center in Elyria. Most police are too. I think Lorain and Elyria may be the exceptions, and even then 911 dispatches them most of the time.
North Ridgeville is dispatched by Westcom. Some departments are partially dispatched by LC 9-1-1. For example Avon and Avon Lake will be toned out or should I say locuted by the county and then someone at the station will take over unless everyone needs to go out on a call.

wd8chl

North Ridgeville is dispatched by Westcom. Some departments are partially dispatched by LC 9-1-1. For example Avon and Avon Lake will be toned out or should I say locuted by the county and then someone at the station will take over unless everyone needs to go out on a call.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot abt NR. My bad.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I was running an ID Search on the "5 City Radio System" and ran across this...
Didn't catch what it was though... Only saw two hits... Anybody else see this TGID yet...

5CTGID.jpg

A little more info...

5CTGIDa.jpg

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Along with the additional two 800 mhz freqs licensed to this system (860.8375, 860.8875) a while back on WRUQ649, they just added two new site locations (for a total of five now)

WRUQ649

CORNER OF MILLS RD & RT 83
AVON, OH LORAIN County

33660 WALKER RD
AVON LAKE, OH LORAIN County

225 BURNS ROAD
ELYRIA, OH LORAIN County

42401 State Route #303
LaGrange, OH LORAIN County

.4 mi West of Quarry Rd & .2 mi South of SR 113
Amherst, OH LORAIN County

RT48

LORAIN — The Lorain Fire Department will purchase L3 Harris radios for its four stations to eventually switch to the upgraded system.

The Board of Control approved the approximately $49,000 expenditure Wednesday afternoon, another piece of the puzzle to replace the department’s aging system — with some radios dating back to 2001, Chief Chris Radman said.

wd8chl

Funny thing about all that, both the current LFD system and the VHF NE "5-city" system have P25 digital running. All they have to is get (ie, get rid of those old HT1225's and CDM's) radios that will do it and program them. The "5-city" system is paid for and maintained by the county to boot. Doesn't cost the cities a penny. Lots cheaper than the radios involved here...
PS-as it sits, that Harris system WILL NOT COVER Lorain. The two new sites won't help that either. The current system has 6 receivers around the city.

wd8chl

Funny thing about all that, both the current LFD system and the VHF NE "5-city" system have P25 digital running. All they have to is get (ie, get rid of those old HT1225's and CDM's) radios that will do it and program them. The "5-city" system is paid for and maintained by the county to boot. Doesn't cost the cities a penny. Lots cheaper than the radios involved here...
PS-as it sits, that Harris system WILL NOT COVER Lorain. The two new sites won't help that either. The current system has 6 receivers around the city.
Also, $49,000 appears it will only buy 4 radios, likely to be control stations used at the 4 stations.

wd8chl

Now Wellington moving to join the system.

That system DOES NOT and cannot cover down there either. The new sites won't help. They are being lied to.
The radio the chief tried was roaming over to AT&T firstnet, at a cost of $20/radio/month on top of any other charges.
The current VHF system has two repeaters in town on different channels, again paid for and maintained by the county. Doesn't cost the city a penny.
It's a guarantee they have old radios that don't work right.

That system DOES NOT and cannot cover down there either. The new sites won't help. They are being lied to.
The radio the chief tried was roaming over to AT&T firstnet, at a cost of $20/radio/month on top of any other charges.
The current VHF system has two repeaters in town on different channels, again paid for and maintained by the county. Doesn't cost the city a penny.
It's a guarantee they have old radios that don't work right.
Caution! I've seen the maps, and I've talked to the folks at CCI. I would advise you not to go further with comments like these.