Baltimore City Police Encrypted soon

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
I highly doubt encrypting there talkgroups is at the top there list right now.The city is a mess.Encryption will not solve the problems.Just my 2 cents

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I was told by an officer while working the Marathon that the biggest problem right now is that they don't have all the new radios, so they decided to push the project back instead of doing it half-assed. He did express surprise when I told him that the TGs that used to be encrypted have been running in the clear (they may have fixed that since then).

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Too late to edit my previous but just wanted to clarify that you can still hear Narc/Vice in the clear.

I was told by an officer while working the Marathon that the biggest problem right now is that they don't have all the new radios, so they decided to push the project back instead of doing it half-assed. He did express surprise when I told him that the TGs that used to be encrypted have been running in the clear (they may have fixed that since then).

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have listened to BCPD off/on for years and never found a strapped encrypted talkgroup. Some of detective, narc, vice, homicide, executive protection talkgroups were encrypted at times (user selected) but never fully.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what's been going on lately, but now encryption is now the exception where it used to be (almost) the norm.

<sarcasm>But Brandon promised us more transparency, so I'm sure this is part of that policy. </sarcasm>

I have listened to BCPD off/on for years and never found a strapped encrypted talkgroup. Some of detective, narc, vice, homicide, executive protection talkgroups were encrypted at times (user selected) but never fully.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Gonna be pretty tragic, losing out on hearing gems like this...

Attachments

• bodycam.zip
    22.5 KB · Views: 61

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber

maus92

Premium Subscriber
According to discussion during this quarter's RCB meeting, BPD is deploying more TDMA capable radios, so the day the switch will be flipped is nearing - if it happens.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Starting July 6, at approximately 3 a.m., police officers will begin carrying two types of encrypted radios, according to an internal memo reviewed by The Banner. Baltimore City would become one of the first large jurisdictions in the state to delay communications to the general public by 15 minutes.
The 15-minute delay will air through Broadcastify, an online platform that streams scanner radio communication, to modernize the police department’s “management of its radio communications, improve interoperability and enhance officer safety,” according to BPD.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Correction: very few if any large police agencies in the state choose to limit transparency by implementing full time encryption for routine operations.