• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Baofeng DM-1701 physical connection issue Windows 11

bartockbat

I have a DM-1701, out of the box with the default firmware.
I can't seem to get it to connect to my Win 11 machine with the cable it was shipped with.
I try to run the CPS software from BF and it just times out.

Is there any way to configure it manually?
Perhaps I did not install the correct driver - it doesn't give me an error in the Device Manager, but this probably means nothing too.
What should I do next to troubleshoot this?
Any suggestions welcome.
If this was already posted and solved here, please show me - thanks.
(Digital Radio in USB Mode)

Digital Radio in USB Mode

Oh, when I attempt to read the radio via the USB cable, I see this:
1718138953373.png

Attachments

• 1718138935560.png
    1718138935560.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

JustinWHT

I have two CHIP adapters for Baofeng. Only one connects. Try a different one

Using Windows 11 btw

bartockbat

I have two CHIP adapters for Baofeng. Only one connects. Try a different one

Using Windows 11 btw
CHIP adapters? I have the cable that came in the box.
I know it's connecting to my computer as I see it appear in the Device Manager when I connect.
So, I don't think it's a bad cable.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You may need a different cable with a new chipset, Windows 11 would not recognize my old cable to connect to my UV-5R.
I believe the new chipset is FTDI but verify if you order a new cable. Old cable had PL-2303 chipset.

JustinWHT

I know it's connecting to my computer as I see it appear in the Device Manager when I connect.
Both of my CHIP adapters worked on Win 10 before I upgraded to Win 11, now on won't. Both work on my ancient Win 7 laptop.

So its chipset related I guess.

varagold

If you plug the cable alone, and Windows detects it, that's the wrong cable.
Then you have two different kind of wiring, the "GD-77/MD-380" way, and the Baofeng (where D+ and D- are inverted).
You could find the wiring on the OpenGD77 forum (I'm member of the dev team).

bartockbat

If you plug the cable alone, and Windows detects it, that's the wrong cable.
Then you have two different kind of wiring, the "GD-77/MD-380" way, and the Baofeng (where D+ and D- are inverted).
You could find the wiring on the OpenGD77 forum (I'm member of the dev team).
Hey - thanks. An intelligent answer. :cool:
I plugged the cable in alone and Windows does not detect anything until I plug my radio in and turn it on. It appears as Digital Radio in USB mode - see my screen shot

1718137552742-png.163790

Here is what I have done so far:
1. The cable came with the radio and when I plug it in, it recognizes something. I don't think it is a bad cable.
2. If I use my BTECH cable for my other radios ( that one has a chipset - and I didn't try to use it with my DM-1701) - UV-5R and my BF-F8HP - can connect and program so my USB port seems to be working.
3. I connect my DM-1701 with the supplied cable, Windows recognizes it as above.
4. I run the CPS Software, but it does not recognize the radio. Perhaps there is a configuration to look at a particular port like CHIRP.
1718138953373-png.163794

I'm kind of stuck - any help would be welcomed.
Thanks - Glen

varagold

The manufacturer's firmware works exclusively in DFU mode.
Try to install the defuse-3.0.6 windows driver (the latest one from ST doesn't work).

a727469

I have a 1701 that I use all the time with windows 11…I use both original software and OpenGD77. Unfortunately am not able to check until next week so advise if you get this working..if not I will analyze and let you know how I installed.

JustinWHT

What we call a CHIP adapter cable is a cable with two audio plugs on one end and a USB assembly on the other with an internal chipset.

DM-1701 cable is just wires and connectors, there is no chip inside,
Not so, the adapter cable has a USB-to-serial chip. The latest chip is mfg by FTDI

Well fudge....I grabbed my two cables and stuck in laptop bag but forgot my Baofeng radios. Will try tomorrow.

But let me try from memory what I experienced.
1) the the latest CHIP app.
2) Use Device Mgr to find the serial port number the USB Is using, and select that in the CHIP pulldown menu.
3) If there are multiple Baofeng models to choose, try them all.

bartockbat

The manufacturer's firmware works exclusively in DFU mode.
Try to install the defuse-3.0.6 windows driver (the latest one from ST doesn't work).
Hey - I appreciate the response. Thanks.
If you could elaborate on this a little more.
Can you provide a link where I can get the correct one? I did a fast search and found many results. I don't really know what I am looking for.

a727469

JustnWHT, I hate to disagree, but I just updated the firmware on my 1701 using the cable that came with it and there is definitely no chip in it…if there is it would have to be miniscule, 😵‍💫and originally when I bought the radio I asked Radioddity and they told me it was straight through cable with the chip in the radio. Not sure why the poster is having a problem since mine connected day one with no new driver needed…maybe I was just lucky🤞
Also,if we are talking about CHIRP for programming it does not support the 1701 since it is DMR

bartockbat

Okay - it's clear that I am not a Windows Weenie. However, I figured it out. I haven't used Windows in so long.
1. Plug my DM-1701 in - recognizes it as a Digital Radio
2. I manually removed this driver from the Device Manager
3. I downloaded the DFuse drivers - https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/drivers/Dfuse_3.0.6_drivers.zip
4. I manually installed the Win10 driver from the Device Manager
5. I plugged in my radio, powered it up and ran the CPS Software
6. Now I can connect to/read from my radio.
I'm not going to bother complaining that this was so hard, if I would have stopped and thought about it, I probably would have fixed it sooner.
So, done - thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!
Glen - KC1RTD

JustinWHT

Its a very small circuit board using the PC001 or FTDI UART chip.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-14-20-23-48-919.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-14-20-23-48-919.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2024-06-14-20-27-27-376.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-14-20-27-27-376.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3

varagold

Its a very small circuit board using the PC001 or FTDI UART chip.

Will you stop making false claims ?
There is no USB to TTL chip inside the DM-1701 cable (like many other radios, GD-77/DM-1801/RT3S/MD-UV380/MD-2017,... ), period.
The DR-1701 has a converter, but that's a different radio inside (despite it uses the same enclosure as the DM-1701).