• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng receiving problems while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

drayd48

So cars give off so much RF signal and block other signal coming in a lot of the time. You are also inside a metal box basically which also blocks signals. When I am in my truck, I am not affected bad when I am driving my truck but when I am in my car, I get very little signal in the car and when I go in reverse, it almost sounds like an open squelch coming through and it blocks out all other signals. Most likely its your cars RF signals. The reason why NOAA comes in so good is because they are usually transmitted at 1000 watts of power and go very far and a long range. Thats why you can get it so good and the transmitter is probably near you. Hope this helps

RFI-EMI-GUY

So cars give off so much RF signal and block other signal coming in a lot of the time. You are also inside a metal box basically which also blocks signals. When I am in my truck, I am not affected bad when I am driving my truck but when I am in my car, I get very little signal in the car and when I go in reverse, it almost sounds like an open squelch coming through and it blocks out all other signals. Most likely its your cars RF signals. The reason why NOAA comes in so good is because they are usually transmitted at 1000 watts of power and go very far and a long range. Thats why you can get it so good and the transmitter is probably near you. Hope this helps
Read post #5. The cheap Chinese radio radio is key to the problem.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

K4SVN

Is it only the wx station or are all strong VHF signals clear?
On my radios the noise seems to be way less on VHF than UHF.

Currently it seems that the WX station is the only one that is immune to this phenomena. I'd think the repeaters would be at least as strong and I know they are close, especially when I drive through downtown where several are located.
Last evening was actually fairly good - the problem was minimal most of the way home.

On my radios this particular problem seems to be equal on VHF and UHF.

I know it doesn't have to do with the car as I'm using a proper NMO mounted Larsen antenna. Everything is fantastic while standing still.

I'm been wanting to get a Yaesu FT-60R anyways and this just accelerated my plans.
I'll report back when I do for a follow up.
For now it seems that the common denominator with these Baofengs is the cheap receiver.
They're great for the money ($35 or so). But don't expect perfection.
I'm still going to use one as my "base" unit in my house with the attic J-Pole. It's been really good thus far as a cheap option to get on the air. Even getting some clean, clear simplex operation almost 30 miles from me.

K4SVN

Well no surprise, the Yaesu FT-60 is flawless.
Indeed the Baofeng's receiver is the culprit.
Still not sure why the WX comes in so well and the repeaters don't.
Regardless, for the money the Baofeng's not too bad.
The Yaesu is light years better in every way however. I know it would be better, but didn't expect this large of a jump. Glad I have it now. IMO, it too is a real value for all it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.