BC396XT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAscannernut

I am trying to get the preloaded Pittsburgh system on my scanner and uniden says "To turn a preloaded system on or off, press SCAN, then press ./no then the two-digit System Quick Key." I have tried that and it does nothing. I do have preprogrammed counties in my scanner as well and am worried that using the preloaded system function will delete what I have in there now. So I guess my questions are as follows: Why can I not get the preloaded system function to work and if I do will it delete anything I have now? Thanks in advance for the help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I do have preprogrammed counties in my scanner as well

If by this you mean that you had your dealer program the scanner with your local counties, then that would have erased the factory preprogramming.

Pap

Have you uploaded files to your radio with a computer? If you did you may have over written the factory installed systems.

PAscannernut

I did have scannermaster preprogram counties out near philadelphia for me before getting the scanner so it sounds like the factory systems may be deleted. I am out in Pittsburgh once a month visiting family so I figured that I could use the preloaded system when I came out here. I do have the preprogrammed systems saved into ARCXT in case I delete them accidentally. However I am new to computer programming of scanners so I havent added many channels yet. Sounds like I will have to manually add pittsburgh channels on my own. Let me know if I am correct with this. Thanks again for the help!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hardly. You have several options here, and since you said you have dumped all the original programming to ARC-XT, you have a working connection between the computer and scanner.

You can;

a. Get a premium subscription and download the data you need from our database. You can find out about this by going to the blue toolbar at the right under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over About then select Our Premium Services .

b. Get an updated Pittsburgh file from someone in the Pa. forum

c. Download your current programming into ARC-XT. Then use ARC-XT to restore the Pittsburgh data from the backup you made. However to me this is sloppy...and you would still need to adjust the data for whatever changes has taken place in the time between when the data was originally loaded to the scanner and the present. Not the best option, to me...

Anyway, in each case, you could keep the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia stuff separate by assigning them to different Quick Keys; then simply enable/disable one or the other when you need to. There's a fair amount of territory between Philly and Pittsburgh - you are likely already familiar with your route, so you should know which county data you would need to load up. In fact, if I were you, I'd get a GPS and use Location Based Scanning to select each system (again, isolated by Quick Keys) as I went. No leaning over and fooling with manual selections that way...

You would really need to understand how DMA works for this...I would start with our online FAQ; the first couple of topics will get you going. To get to it, go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki, select FAQs and select the Uniden DMA FAQ from the list.

73 (best regards) Mike

Last edited:

PAscannernut

thanks for the post. I will look at the FAQ links first and go from there. I will try to customize the scanner for my trips on the turnpike. When I get the hang of it i will ad some Harrisburg channels as well for the turnpike trip. Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.