BC780XLT Software with cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVPI4Ever

Where can I get software with cables for the BC780XLT? I see some but have no mention of the cables. Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Oh heck - you don't need a special cable for the 780 (as long as a serial port is available) - a standard DB9 cable will do, as I recall. And as for software - yes, ARC780 is good, but there are others...like IDtracker (free), Scan Control, ProScan and others. All are documented here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC780XLT

73s Mike

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
"Oh heck - you don't need a special cable for the 780 (as long as a serial port is available) - a standard DB9 cable will do"
"It's a DB-9 computer cable "
Isn't that what I said in "other" words Mike? :)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
CVPI4Ever said:
Neither. Those are cables for RS Scanners. Do what was mentioned earlier, go to a computer store and buy a standard DB9 serial cable. There is nothing special about it. If you don't have a serial port on your computer you will have to deal with that as a separate issue.

RS sells a standard serial cable but for that price you can buy a couple at a real computer store.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
CVPI4Ever said:
How about this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7135664&st=DB-9&type=product&id=1110263657278

I want to get the right cable. All anyone offers me is a cable for a GPS system.
Based on your choice, I am guessing that you don't have a serial port on your computer. If that is the case, then that would probably work; however, two things you must consider:
  1. The length of that cable, 16" is not very long and I suspect you will eventually be sorry you didn't get a longer one. If you were going to hook it to another cable, that is a different story, but you will probably just hook it into the radio.
  2. The use of ARC780 with a USB->Serial adapter is something you should verify with Butel first. It seems to me that not all of the software packages would work with USB ports & adapters, so check first.
If you have trouble locating a longer cable, check this site out. I use that six foot cable and have never had a problem with it adapting to any scanner/radio I tried to access with my laptop.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
loumaag said:
[*]The use of ARC780 with a USB->Serial adapter is something you should verify with Butel first. It seems to me that not all of the software packages would work with USB ports & adapters, so check first.

ARC780 works fine with any USB<>serial adaptor , just make sure you installed the latest drivers.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

CVPI4Ever

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
CVPI4Ever said:
I will probably hook it up to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1000) with Windows XP just due to the portability factor. It has a 15 pin serial port on the back.

If I have to I can hool it up to my PC (Dell Dimension 3000) with Windows XP. It has a 9 pin serial port on the back.

Would these work (found on ScannerMaster):
http://www.scannermaster.com/BC_Scanner_Serial_25_Cable_p/01-530687.htm
http://www.scannermaster.com/BC_Scanner_Serial_6_Cable_p/01-530686.htm
As long as it has a serial port go with the 6 foot one you referenced. You don't need 25' of cable hanging around and based on Gommert's post, you should be good to go.

morfis

CVPI4Ever said:
I will probably hook it up to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1000) with Windows XP just due to the portability factor. It has a 15 pin serial port on the back.

Are you sure that is a serial port?

CVPI4Ever

Its a port siimilar to whats in ragtime88's link. So the item in his link will work?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
CVPI4Ever said:
Its a port siimilar to whats in ragtime88's link. So the item in his link will work?
It is not difficult to see on the back of the computer, a VGA port will be a female port with 15 holes; a serial port will be a male port with 9 or 25 pins. The link that ragtime88 indicates is NOT what you want, since he specified he was looking for a modem cable, that well be what he is looking for but that has nothing to do with you. What he linked is a crossover null-modem cable for file transfers between computers; you already specified the type of cable in your links earlier.

This is not rocket science, if you have a serial port on your computer, go buy a serial cable; if you only have USB ports that you need to get a USB->Serial adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.