BC996XT crashes & restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

listen13579

Hi,

I recently put my BC996XT in a new car. I have it plugged in via the cigarette power adapter. If I turn the volume up past approximately the 2 o'clock position and the scanner receives a transmission, the scanner will crash and restart itself. It won't work correctly until I turn the volume down.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
In the short term, I'd suggest listening at 1:59 or prior.

Can you provide more info on your setup?
Does it matter if the car engine is running or stopped?
Does it act the same when powered by the supplied AC power adapter?
Are you using any sort of external speaker?

The volume dial is tied to a number level readout on the screen. What number does it line up with when your unit is set to the 2 oclock position?

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hi,

I recently put my BC996XT in a new car. I have it plugged in via the cigarette power adapter. If I turn the volume up past approximately the 2 o'clock position and the scanner receives a transmission, the scanner will crash and restart itself. It won't work correctly until I turn the volume down.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sounds like a voltage drop due to the source not being able to handle the current draw. Can you get power from a different source and try that?

rbm

It sounds like a voltage problem from the cigarette adapter.
As the volume increases, so does the current demand of the scanner.

It may be a bad DC connection because the scanner doesn't really need a lot of current to operate properly.
(Referring to my notes for my scanners, at full volume, my 996 draws around 1/2 amp.)

Rich

Crash

In the short term, I'd suggest listening at 1:59 or prior.

I've never noticed this because I am usually in work at 2PM and in bed at 2AM.

I'm off for a few days, so I just might try this tonight. I'm setting my alarm for 1:30AM - long enough to remote start the pickup so it's warmed up just enough to go out there in my bath robe. It's 22 degrees! I got a little problem lately with the exhaust, so I hope my 6 neighbors here in the park aren't disturbed. It's a Full Moon, so I can tip toe out there without a flashlight.

Actually, I use one of those Black and Decker battery booster jump start boxes to provide a steady and constant 12 to 13.8 power source to the scanner. One double-ended cigarette lighter cable with a three-fer cable to power the scanner and run other things. It allows me to continue to run the scanner and other stuff when the key is off.

Sure, I may go up in a ball of flames some day, but everything will be fully charged for my descendants.

In answer to the OP - yeah - does it do this on the adapter? There might be some remnants of Pall Mall non-filter in the cigarette lighter thingie.

Good luck!

listen13579

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (and humor!) The scanner does not crash when it's plugged with the AC adapter. So I'll look into how to get a better source of power when I'm in the car (a Prius.)

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the suggestions (and humor!) The scanner does not crash when it's plugged with the AC adapter. So I'll look into how to get a better source of power when I'm in the car (a Prius.)

Hmmm, wonder if you are getting some noise on the DC line (control noise, voltage pulsing, etc.) because of the fact that it's a hybrid. The radio expects a decently "clean" DC source and it's possible that noise, spikes etc. are freaking out the microprocessor when you raise the gain on the audio amp.

sragen

I had experienced something similar with a 780XLT vehicular mounted. The "movement" of the vehicle over the years caused the DC adapter connection on the back of the scanner to get ever so slightly enlarged and loose which would cause it to shut off and restart. I know you said it was linked to the volume, but perhaps check this anyway by moving the scanner out of the car and using the AC power (troubleshoot to confirm/eliminate). I replaced the scanner because I couldn't jury rig it enough, considered repair costs, and it was a good excuse to trade up. Good Luck.

listen13579

I had experienced something similar with a 780XLT vehicular mounted. The "movement" of the vehicle over the years caused the DC adapter connection on the back of the scanner to get ever so slightly enlarged and loose which would cause it to shut off and restart. I know you said it was linked to the volume, but perhaps check this anyway by moving the scanner out of the car and using the AC power (troubleshoot to confirm/eliminate). I replaced the scanner because I couldn't jury rig it enough, considered repair costs, and it was a good excuse to trade up. Good Luck.

I did check this by re-seating the power connector and making sure it was snug - it did not help.

listen13579

Hmmm, wonder if you are getting some noise on the DC line (control noise, voltage pulsing, etc.) because of the fact that it's a hybrid. The radio expects a decently "clean" DC source and it's possible that noise, spikes etc. are freaking out the microprocessor when you raise the gain on the audio amp.

It seems possible but I don't have any way of measuring the cleanness of the power. My next step is to look into whether hooking something directly into the Prius starter battery or into the fuse block has any negative effects on the rest of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.