BCD396XT issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruber

Hey i have a BCD396XT and sometimes on the display it says its receiving a signal but the speaker is silent. I know my police is not encrypted because when i plug in a external speaker it works fine. it does this for both analog and digital. Could i get any help please. Thank you!

Dgruber

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Premium Subscriber
If the use of an external speaker affects it you may have a bad/sticking disconnect in the speaker/headphone jack. There is a connection inside the jack which disconnects the internal speaker when an external speaker/earphone is plugged in. Sometimes these connections stick and keep the internal speaker disconnected once the plug is removed.

Some of the Unidens, especially the older T models had this problem. Try holding on say a weather channel which has continuous audio and plug/unplug the external speaker plug and see if it restores the internal speaker's audio.

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hey i have a BCD396XT and sometimes on the display it says its receiving a signal but the speaker is silent. I know my police is not encrypted because when i plug in a external speaker it works fine. it does this for both analog and digital. Could i get any help please. Thank you!
Does this happen 24/7?

dgruber

I dont think it is the headphone jack because if i blow into the speaker it will work but the audio sounds crackley and overall bad and you can't understand what they're saying. And yes this happens 24/7

JamesO

Sounds like a defective speaker from your last comments.

I have seen this before.

My first BC785D came with a defective speaker from the factory, I replaced it with a better quality speaker and never looked back.

The problem is hand held radio replacement speakers are a bit harder to find, but if you search you should be able to locate something.

Status
Not open for further replies.