BCD436HP Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I was wondering what type of antenna is used for this radio? I'm in area with 800MHz and wanted to upgrade it but I don't know the name of it. Looks like you screw it in by twisting it in. Thank You

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I've found that picking up an SMA LMR or HAM antenna tuned for the specific band you listen to, is a much better upgrade for all of the Unidens. You'll find they're pretty cheap too.

I use this guy http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-tech-exd-450-smv-2044.html on my 346xt and 436HP. Works really good in my area on VHF high and UHF/UHF "T" band. Not bad on the P25 system I monitor either.

Dewey

I've found that picking up an SMA LMR or HAM antenna tuned for the specific band you listen to, is a much better upgrade for all of the Unidens. You'll find they're pretty cheap too.

I use this guy http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-tech-exd-450-smv-2044.html on my 346xt and 436HP. Works really good in my area on VHF high and UHF/UHF "T" band. Not bad on the P25 system I monitor either.

Those Laird antennas are very nice! When I was using them with my 396T and 396XT, the only problem was that the mount was not deep enough, and the bottom of the antenna would not seat against the scanner. Operationally, I loved them, but just hated the appearance of the small gap where the antenna is supposed to meet the radio. Are they still doing that?

NFR85

The antenna looks nice, but that connector looks like it would make it too easy to damage the scanner's jack (no foundation).

I saw alot of people comment that it fit the scanner so I'll give it a try if not I'll return it.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
They seem to seat fine for me. I just bought a new one for my 436HP a week or so ago. I know what you mean though. I do have 1 or 2 other antennas I bought a year or so ago that didn't seat against the scanner. I just bought a an assorted pack of O-rings and found one to fit in the space.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
The 800mhz one that radio shack sales in the store works great with included adaptor.

You have good luck using the adapter? I tried the adapter and a BNC antenna with my 436HP and I felt the reception was better using an SMA antenna. I even have an SMA and BNC RH77 antenna and the SMA seemed to work better than using the BNC with the adapter. Maybe it's all in my head?

Anybody try the Comet HT-55? It's on the expensive side, but seems to work very well all around on the 436HP. Although, it doesn't do so well inside my house. But then again, nothing really does except for that little Laird. Which is odd since the Laird is only a fraction of the size of the RH77.

NFR85

Just got my antenna from ebay tried uploading picture but failed. Fits perfectly

masterlizzard

I'm using the comet ht-55 on my scanner and it works pretty awesome. Where taller antennas didn't receive on my desk in my room, this one did.

yaesumofo

I am currently using a small 5 inch sma antenna from LECTROSONICS is got a hinge and the wire is completely flexible. Works great for me. Most of my monitoring is above 470Mhz so these little antennas work great. Remote audio makes nice cheap tunable antennas too.
Yaesumofo

Sent from the moon using the x12c mkIV

Status
Not open for further replies.