BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Only send under the repair campaign if your unit exhibits one of the two indicated issues (dimming backlight, clock battery failure). Otherwise, use the link James provided.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
The 436hp I have has the clock problem. But it has also a gps port and a usb port problem.

So how would send it in ?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Send it in for the clock problem. Include a note regarding the other issues. I don't offhand know if the GPS/USB ports are on the main logic board (I believe they are). Since the MLB is replaced as part of this repair, they will be fixed by default. But, in case I'm incorrect, there may be a charge for the additional repair (but at least you'll save on shipping expense).

wizardofid

For anyone who may be interested in Uniden's "turn around" time for the 436/536 scanners on their Repair Campaign Recall... here's a brief synopsis of my experience.

I shipped my BCD436HP and BCD536HP on 11/14/2016 via UPS (paid by Uniden) and they were delivered to Uniden on 11/18/2016.

Uniden marked the scanners as having been received on 11/21/2016 with an estimated return shipping date of 12/19/2016.

My BCD536HP was repaired on 11/29/2016 and my BCD436HP was repaired on 12/02/2016.

Both scanners had been shipped back to me via UPS (paid by Uniden) on 12/02/2016.

On 12/07/2016 I received my two scanners from Uniden in as good a condition (visibly) as what I had shipped them.

Based on their willingness to service their products I suspect that the repaired scanners will work as they were originally meant to.

Thank You Uniden and Upman.

dgritt

Dropped my BCD436HP at a UPS store on 11/15/2016. It was received at the repair facility on 11/18/2016. Received it back today 12/7/2016. Case and screen still look like new. No scratches, etc. Packed very well. Uniden paid shipping there and back. No charges for the repair. That is good service.

JamesO

Kind of running an "unofficial/random" test on my 436HP RTC back up.

My 436HP was shipped out of Uniden Nov 10th. Almost 1 month later with very little use and NO connection to a charger at all my RTC is still holding the time without a problem. I have had batteries in the unit, but it was never connected to the charger and left on by me for 50 hours!

So I do not know what Uniden changed, but I can tell you before I do not think I could have gone a few weeks without the clock loosing its time. Maybe there is a parasitic connection from the batteries for the RTC now with the new board??

Only Uniden knows what was wrong and what they did to correct the RTC problem, but it seems to be working pretty well for the 436HP, my 536HP stays on 7x24 so I have not tested this and it may not be as important when compared to the handheld and how it is used.

Anyway, I am glad to see the dramatic improvement in the RTC behavior on the 436HP.

Thanks Uniden for actually listening and taking action. Not many companies do this these days, they just wait for you to buy the next latest and greatest product from them.

NXDN and/or Analysis and/or Static IP and hardwired dongle PLEASE!!

SCPD

QRT
UPMAN
My unit bcd436hp had a very dim display that flickered most of the time... the battery error occurred twice so i sent it in under the repair campaign and it has been there since 11/11/16 and just says unit received..
also says received by Mike

https://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking...umber1=1z7562359096619254&track.x=0&track.y=0

It also had very poor reception on all bands...
No status updates have been updated other than the unit being received... almost a month now...
sro # 2000145
reference number 7292
this will make 3 weeks in repair not including the thanksgiving week..
Everyone on here says only 1 week from time it is received however its been 3 today...
can you give me some sort of update and let me know why everyone else gets thier units back within 2 weeks of being received and mine has not even been looked at only received..
Also note no emails have been received other than the one stating it was received and that was 4 weeks ago..
I appreciate any info you can give..
Tech support lady on phone said its strange that repair has not updated the sro report with information she had but could not diclose that information to me...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The unit you sent did not have either the RTC battery or the backlight issue that was subject to the campaign as received (both mods were already applied at the factory). I've asked the tech for the current status.

SCPD

QRT
The unit you sent did not have either the RTC battery or the backlight issue that was subject to the campaign as received (both mods were already applied at the factory). I've asked the tech for the current status.

Thanks UPMan and i appreciate your time.. I sure hope the screen getting dimmer can be repaired though as it is barely readable and the reception is horrible with several antennas that work fine on other scanners..

Appreciate your time and hope the tech gets back to you soon about it... Thanks a Bunch...

Last edited:

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
If my 536 is unplugged for 2-3 hours the clock stops, and it needs to be set to current time , it still has current date and everything , if it's any longer than 3-4 hours it resets the clock . Is this a problem? How long can the battery run the clock, while unplugged and or keep the time

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT

UPMan as the product manager you need to check your support techs... I have pictures of the bcd436hp and i specifically took pictures of it and there appears to be no damade to the usb port at all... there was nothing wrong with the usb functions on my scanner.. but your repair technician claims there is..

Pending Estimate Approval
Your order has been checked by a technician and it was determined to have a problem that is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. The below cost is the amount due to repair or exchange your unit. Your approval and payment of this charge is required before the repair or exchange can be completed. Please allow 10 business days for product shipment following approval.
(Line 1 BCD436HP) REASON FOR ESTIMATE
PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO USB PORT.

Repair Charge: $79.95
Shipping Charge: $10.00
Total: $89.95

I want it shipped back to me immediately and no I'm not paying shipping.. This is ridiculous.
The reason it says sd card error upon startup and shows no storage device is because per instructions the micro sd card was removed from unit..

I refuse to pay for the usb port because it was and always has worked fine... I have these pics on my phone just cant upload to the site on windows phone 8...
sorry for blurryness as webcams on laptops are not the greatest...

Attachments

• 11-4-16 bcd436hp picture 17.jpg
    11-4-16 bcd436hp picture 17.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
UPMan as the product manager you need to check your support techs... I have pictures of the bcd436hp and i specifically took pictures of it and there appears to be no damade to the usb port at all... there was nothing wrong with the usb functions on my scanner.. but your repair technician claims there is..

Pending Estimate Approval
Your order has been checked by a technician and it was determined to have a problem that is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. The below cost is the amount due to repair or exchange your unit. Your approval and payment of this charge is required before the repair or exchange can be completed. Please allow 10 business days for product shipment following approval.
(Line 1 BCD436HP) REASON FOR ESTIMATE
PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO USB PORT.

Repair Charge: $79.95
Shipping Charge: $10.00
Total: $89.95

I want it shipped back to me immediately and no I'm not paying shipping.. This is ridiculous.
The reason it says sd card error upon startup and shows no storage device is because per instructions the micro sd card was removed from unit..

I refuse to pay for the usb port because it was and always has worked fine... I have these pics on my phone just cant upload to the site on windows phone 8...
sorry for blurryness as webcams on laptops are not the greatest...

Also when trying to call back yesterday it says they are closed for training purposes..

kandrey89

Feed Provider
QUESTION: Has anyone had issues with BCD436HP randomly restarting a couple of time per hour? Note: I do not have auto shutoff enabled, scanner is in always ON mode.

I would drive in my car with 2 BCD436HP units side by side, one is brand new, and the other with the restarting problem is old and needs to be sent in for repair (my god have I been procrastinating sending it in).

I run the backlight and recording all the time. The restart issue appeared recently, maybe within the last month or so and happens frequently, but randomly, sometimes a few times an hour, sometimes once every two hours.

At first I thought it was my USB power cable, because I run a lot of electronics out of a single split power socket, so I switched the USB cables between my new BCD436HP unit and the old one, but that showed me that the problem persisted with the old unit.

Now that I think about it, I did have my old scanner restart randomly maybe a few times throughout the year, but nowhere near as often as now. (once every three months as opposed to twice per hour, for example).

What happens is that I see the scanner backlight turn off and I see the scanner turn boot up, like someone reset it, and it boots up and starts scanning again but the backlight is off and the record mode is off because the firmware cannot set either of those 2 features to ON mode on startup.

If you're wondering why my scanner might be restarting, if your scanner simply turns off and you need to turn it back on manually, maybe it's because I have drained my batteries to the point where they show a voltage but cannot provide any current for the scanner when external power from the car turns off.It's a trick I found to turn on my scanner when I turn on my car. The batteries show the scanner a voltage, so the recording function works, but when the power disappears, the scanner doesn't have enough current from the batteries to save the configuration/whatever to uSD card, so that when power is restored when the car turns on, the scanner also turns on.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's a SD card error. Try clearing all user data, reinstalling your scanner data, and then starting the scanner again. It should fix your problem.

QUESTION: Has anyone had issues with BCD436HP randomly restarting a couple of time per hour? Note: I do not have auto shutoff enabled, scanner is in always ON mode.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
FYI, looking at the two scanners together, the backlight on the older units that fail have a blue hue, like cold white LED. The new units have warm white LEDs, a yellow hue.

Also, I can't remember exactly but I think it was only the 2 side buttons that changed, from a soft push to a click-feel, I like the click-feel buttons.

SCPD

QRT

Upman you need to check what is going on after approving the estimate and giving my card number they are shipping it backl as is even though there is a
Repair Amount: $0.00
Other Amount: $0.00
Complaint: WILL NOT HOLD TIME OR DATE
Exchanged Model: N/A
Exchanged S/N: N/A

I approved over the phone after leaving a message on here and now it says they are charging me just shipping of 10.00

I specifically told the lady on the phone i had agreed would pay the full estimate and she noted it..
now i filed a complaint with the better bussiness bureau this is rediculous..
sro 2000145

tell the tech it is to be FIXED as i agreed to pay the repair costs and i will drop the BBB complaint

Attachments

• 11-4-16 bcd436hp picture 6.jpg
    11-4-16 bcd436hp picture 6.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
An update to my #1109

Scanner was repaired by Uniden on 2 December, shipped 12 December via FedEx and arrived here in Australia today.

Well done and many thanks, Uniden :)

Status
Not open for further replies.