BCD996XT Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt71301

Hi,
I just purchased this unit and I understand that there's a way to program it via computer? Can anyone help me with how to do this...cables, software, etc....and steps. Maybe a link to a how-to site? It would be a great help and most appreciated. I only know how to program one manually.

thank you
Paul

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Paul if you've done one manually successfully, you're 70% of the way there. You just need a few things (note: both here and in our wiki, anything in blue is a link) ;

a. Software - go get FreeScan (it's freeware, and has its own dedicated forums on the same website for support). The user manual is here

b. Cable - you will need a USB-serial connector. The following wiki article discusses this in detail...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

c. Data - you have a couple of options here. Go to our NY forum and ask for a Freescan (has a .996 extension), UASD or ARC file for your area - FreeScan will import both directly. The other is to purchase a premium subscription and pull data from our database...

Premium Subscription Information Page

and lastly, don't ignore our Collaboration page for NY for additional sources of information - NF2G's website is especially good, and you can use N2NOV's website for NYC stuff...

New York(US) - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

Last edited:

pt71301

Bcd996xt

Can you download and program this scanner with a mac laptop does anyone know? Or is this software and programming ability strictly on a PC only?

Status
Not open for further replies.