BCT15X: BCT-X15 Keypad disabled? Can't recall how to enable to clone it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1

Premium Subscriber
I'm back after many years of happy use of (2) bct-x15's. Now older (me) and my brain has less recall than ever....Years ago I disabled the keypad on 1 scanner so I wouldn't accidentally change settings, and now want to clone it, but I can't remember how to enable key's again. All numbers and keys closet to display are disabled, I can't get win 10 to recognize with USB-1 cable, and I no longer have funds to spend much on this issue. Poor planning on my part. Any hints someone could send me would be very much appreciated. We are getting to the crazy time here on Cape Cod, and since I am a watch guard (MSP Licensed) I like to listen in if a property of customers has an issue. Plus if someone calls Fd on my BBQ starts, I can call PD or FD to quell response (yes, it has happened :) Thank you for reading, Larry T.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
To turn Key Safe mode on (or off)

• Turn the scanner off.
  • Press and hold FUNCTION while you turn the scanner back on.
As far as the cable issue, click this link below and read the entire paragraph under the header : "Driver for Windows operating systems:"

LT1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you :) I did try that now, and it toggles "key safety mode" on/off on display, but keys are still not functioning. What ever I did years ago was a bit more complex than this I believe. Is there another way to disable.enable keypad and buttons directly to left of keypad? I may have disabled them separately??? Darn, I just can't recall what I did...So much for making it "safe". Sounds like I made it safe from me, HA!

N9JIG

Sheriff
It might not actually be locked. There is a ribbon cable between the main board and the display/keyboard daughter board. This ribbon cable comes loose from time to time.

Try opening the case and reseat the ribbon cable. I have had to do this on a couple BCT15 and BCD996 scanners over the years.

Here is the ribbon connector in question. Remove the black outer case and the inner case with the speaker. Carefully disconnect the speaker lead and re-seat the ribbon connector and check for proper operation, then reassemble.

When you are done take it all apart again and plug in the speaker lead that you forgot to plug back in and reassemble again.

Last edited:

LT1

Premium Subscriber
Son of a gun, it worked!!! And I didn't even forget speaker :) Thank you so much, everyone, and moderator for helping me out of this jam!!
Not to be pushy.... Any hints on getting win 10 to work with it?
Maybe take a victory lap and let interfacing go until next week?
Thank you again gentlemen, Larry T.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Glad that worked, drove me nuts for a while too!

If you have the USB--1 cable check the version, if it is an older ("A") version it will not work in Windows 10 easily. The newer ("D") version does. Use the CheckChipVersion utility in the driver package to determine the chip version and replace with a current USB-1 cable if needed.

You can also use a USB-Serial adapter for Windows 10 with the older Serial cable that came with the radio.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Not to be pushy.... Any hints on getting win 10 to work with it?

From the link I gave you in post #2 above:

The current Prolific Driver, as delivered through their web site and through Windows Update for Windows 8 and 10, will not work with older USB-1 cables that use the PL2303HXA chipset. To use these drivers you must have a current USB-1 cable that uses the PL2303HXD chipset. If your cable was bought before 2013 you need to buy a new cable.

LT1

Premium Subscriber
I think I may have older cable, since it was purchased in 2013. I wrote to seller who can't confirm which type I have. Did try earlier with win 10 laptop and getting a message in device window saying disabled (or something?) in 2012. Guessing old chipset...I do have a serial card from before that I can install in new system, or see if I can get my found old Gateway "pentium powered" power house will boot. Only computer I had that could drive an electric typewriter. I would start it in background, and make business calls. People were impressed at my typing while speaking multi tasking abilities :)
Thank you again everyone for your help :) Larry T.

Status
Not open for further replies.