BCT15: BCT15 (original, not X) wireless control/programming

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Has anyone ever used an Air Console to do wireless programming and/or controlling of a BCT15? I haven't thought this through very much so it's possible it's a completely idiotic idea, if so I'm sure someone will point it out (and others will point it out again and again :rolleyes:).

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have an air console but have never tried it for what your asking. Use it on switch and routers alot. I am using a Serial/IP converter on my TNC in the barn that works ok. It basically creates a comm port on the PC. In theory that would work.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I have an air console but have never tried it for what your asking. Use it on switch and routers alot. I am using a Serial/IP converter on my TNC in the barn that works ok. It basically creates a comm port on the PC. In theory that would work.
Aren’t they cool? I’ll play around and see what I can come up with.

Ubbe

Sigh. I’m well aware of that, hence asking about using an Air Console.
You probably ment to ask about a wireless controller, not wireless programming, and the BCT15 connected by a serial cable to a PC?

You'll need software that will work on the Air console app on the tablet/phone and there's none right now. It's like you would connect the cable from the BCT15 to your PC and you have no software to control it and you then have a tablet or mobile phone to remote control the serial port but nothing that converts the data to and from the scanner to be able to see the BCT15 display and push its buttons. The BCT15 doesn't support a remote keyboard and display that many other networked devices do.

If you have a software like Proscan or ARC and use their virtual display you'll need air console to support that software. There's a developer API available for air console that probably can be used to program your own interface.

/Ubbe

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
AirConsole works just fine for control and programming with @ProScan software. Now just need a BT audio adapter.

Now on to finding a cheaper device as the AirConsole is a little pricey to tie up and I may add more scanners to my wireless adventures.

If I can make this work ANYBODY can.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
So I had forgotten I had done this with an Android app another member developed back in 2014. But I searched and I couldn't find anyone doing this with any of the commercial SW packages. It opens a whole new world for my old serial only scanners.

I have another (cheaper) BT serial device coming so we'll see how it works.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Adapter arrived and it's working just fine. Controlling my BCT15 that is upstairs from downstairs wirelessly using ProScan. Waited to see how this would work before I ordered a BT adapter, now on to researching one of those.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Got it finalized...for now.

SDS200- LAN port into WiFi bridge

BCD536- Factory Wifi dongle

BC15T- BT to serial adapter via serial port

BCD436- BT to serial adapter via serial port

BC780XLT- BT to serial adapter via serial port

Audio for the last three goes into a mini mixer then into a BT audio transmitter to a BT speaker

Audio for the first two is through WiFi to laptop to a BT speaker

All controlled with ProScan.

Please don't tell me this won't work because it does. :p