BCT15X: Bct15x programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickplummer56

Have taken radio apart. All connections are good
I have had scanners for years and never had an issue programming them. This one definitely has me stumped

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please attach your FreeSCAN programming file so that I can take a look at at. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped file.

wtp

transmitting near the radio could have reied the front end.
i also sent a personal message about the headphone jack if you look at the top right of this page.

Reading all of this I have a gut feeling somehow, somewhere this radio was subject to high power RF which would lead me to check the front end receiver diodes. It appears that it has all of the symptoms...

Reactions: wtp

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If you are seeing nothing on the S-meter then it is a reception issue - perhaps a broken antenna connection.

Of course, if it is stopping on the channels then it might be a tuning issue, but I would not expect it to be able to see activity at all.

Regardless, it appears a trip to the repair center is in order.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It could still be a corrupted firmware problem. The weather frequencies reside in the firmware. If the proper frequencies are not being applied to the mixer, you will not see any signal strength. Look at the center pin on your antenna BNC connector (not the connector on the scanner) to see if it has broken off.

Last edited:
Haven’t used this scanner in a while but worked fine before I reprogrammed it
AND
Well I have reset and reprogrammed it twice and nothing
AND
And I plugged my other scanner into antenna and it works fine
AND
Yes squelch has noise.

So lets see here...

A) The scanner worked previously.
B) You have reset and reprogrammed and assuming there were no errors (no mention of that).
C) The antenna and connectors are just fine because your other radio works on it.
D) And you have audio... Static, but audio just the same....

Your front end diodes are gone... Just like my BCT15X died of... Stupid me and my amateur radio equipment anyway...

Or you can simply chase your own tail with everybody's suggestions...

Your call...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well I have reset and reprogrammed it twice and nothing. I have a UHF portable two way and tried it right near it not even that comes over. ?? Got me baffled
Had you transmitted near the scanner before noticing you were no longer getting any reception?
transmitting near the radio could have reied the front end.
i also sent a personal message about the headphone jack if you look at the top right of this page.
AND

AND

AND

So lets see here...

A) The scanner worked previously.
B) You have reset and reprogrammed and assuming there were no errors (no mention of that).
C) The antenna and connectors are just fine because your other radio works on it.
D) And you have audio... Static, but audio just the same....

Your front end diodes are gone... Just like my BCT15X died of... Stupid me and my amateur radio equipment anyway...

Or you can simply chase your own tail with everybody's suggestions...

Your call...
Staitc, I think you & WTP are on target. Transmitting near the scanner, even if it was turned off, could still cause damage to the front end.

Ubbe

The two protection diodes are D51 and D52 at the antenna connector and are not covered in epoxi and should be easily checked for shortage. There's a 1000 ohm R20 resistor in parallell.

BCT15x-frontend.jpg

/Ubbe

Ubbe

I looked at the diode on the antenna connection. What would a good reading be ? On a meter
Most meters have a diode test mode that should show that it conducts at 0,7 volt or something in that region. If you only have an ohm meter then 500 ohms are good, as long as it isn't 10 ohm or lower. Test in both polarities.

There are some more diodes that are free and not covered in epoxi that you could also check, that they conduct in at least one direction, but could be a bit harder to do as any components in parallell could give misleading results. Most of the other diodes are supposed to let the signal pass thru it but if one have blown it will not read that 0,7 volt or not show 500 -2000 ohm in one direction and higher value in the other direction.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
but if one have blown it will not read that 0,7 volt or not show 500 -2000 ohm in one direction and higher value in the other direction.
The diodes will show a maximum of 1,000 ohms in either direction with the 1K resistor in parallel. If you see close to 0 ohms across the diodes, one or both diodes are shorted.

The diodes are in parallel with a resistor according to that diagram Ubbe shared so rather than guess or do a bunch of math, I recommend removing the diodes from the circuit and testing them with a multi meter with either ohms or a diode check feature. In ohms it should be around 600~700 or so ohms in one direction only and an open(no connection or like with my Fluke "OL") in the other. The diode feature should show the turn on voltage around .6~.7 volts or so and again nothing in the other direction.
If the diodes show that there is the same or similar in both directions they are junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.