Beginner CW HF transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I have my technician license and I am studying for my general license. I am thinking about getting an HF radio (within the next couple of months). I have also been learning CW and I can do most of the characters. Because of this I would be interested in an radio that would work with CW for transmitting (and receiving). The ICOM 718 is within my budget, but I am not sure if one can use this for CW.

What is a good radio for this in the price range of an ICOM 718?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You might want to order an optional CW filter at some point. It will make operating in crowded band conditions easier. Icon offers CW and SSB filters for this radio.

The radio is HF only. You might want to look at HF + 6 meter radios, but this radio has the basic features you will need.

tdenfuny

Premium Subscriber
Ah. So the Icom 718 will work with with a CW paddle? Where is this connected to the radio?

@ko6jw_2: Any suggestions on radios to consider that also do 6m?

Zhaldorian

Premium Subscriber
According to the manual:

ELECTRONIC KEYER JACK [KEY] (plug number 7 on the back panel)
Accepts a paddle to activate the internal electronic
keyer.
•Selection between the internal electronic keyer and
straight key operation can be made in initial set mode.

K7MEM

Hello. I have my technician license and I am studying for my general license. I am thinking about getting an HF radio (within the next couple of months). I have also been learning CW and I can do most of the characters. Because of this I would be interested in an radio that would work with CW for transmitting (and receiving). The ICOM 718 is within my budget, but I am not sure if one can use this for CW.

What is a good radio for this in the price range of an ICOM 718?

Well, I say "bravo" on the learning CW. I agree with everyone else. The ICOM 718 would be a good starter rig. I have several CW only rigs, from days gone by, but you would probably have a real hard time finding a new all band ham rig that didn't do CW.

Making sure that the rig comes with a built in keyer and CW filter is fine, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't. My IC-735 has a built in keyer. But I have never used it, except to test it to see if it works. I prefer to use a keyer, but all mine are external and I like them better. And, of course, you can always use a straight key, cootie key, or bug.

Same with the CW filter. The only rig that I have had a with a 400 Hz CW filter, is my SB-101. All I have ever needed was a good audio filter, like the Autek QF-1A. If you can get it, great, but all is not lost without it. Fact is, I haven't heard a really crowded CW section of a band in almost 30 years.

Other options you might consider is the CT-17 CIV Level Converter and a extra OPC-599 ADAPTER CABLE, 13-pin, ACC connector to 7-pin + 8-pin ACC connector. The CT-17 will allow computer control of your rig and the OPC-599 cable will let you easily operate digital modes. Other options for running digital modes is the RIgblaster.

Martin - K7MEM

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Any suggestions on radios to consider that also do 6m?
The Icom IC-7200 will do HF/6m, has the internal CW keyer you are looking for, has IF DSP built-in so you don't have buy the filters mentioned for the IC-718, has a USB port for CI-V radio control so you don't have to buy the CT-17 mentioned above, and has an internal USB sound card should you get interested in other digital modes besides CW. Retail price of the IC-7200 is about $200 more than the IC-718, but it has features built-in that are extra-cost options on the IC-718.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
Ah. So the Icom 718 will work with with a CW paddle? Where is this connected to the radio? <snip>

What specific brand and model paddles do you have? Are they iambic, single lever paddle, or semi-automatic "bug" paddles. I have all three types from Vibroplex (VIBROPLEX Products) also including the straight key.

I am asking just so we all know what you are using to learn code. Are you using a Code Practice Oscillator (CPO)?

Starting with a straight key and then moving to the iambic paddles is probably your best path to take in learning to send morse code.

Let me know if you need any help picking a good set of keys.

73, Dave K4EET

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
awesome that you are upgrading to general AND learning CW. i did the same thing. i looked around and saw several hams in our area stagnant at the technician level as no codes (do not know CW) never advancing beyond technician. I dont want to open up a can of worms here, but i wished there were mentors around who were more motivated. nonetheless, i learned CW and advanced my ticket. sometimes seeing the type of ham you dont want to be is just as motivating. lol. get that general ticket!!!! try 7.050 or 7.055 and 7.114 in the evenings. lots of slower CW ops. hope to work you someday. 73

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> I dont want to open up a can of worms here, but i wished there were mentors around who were more motivated. <snip>

I don't think you are opening a can of worms. I don't want to hijack this thread or steer it off-course, but, I think RadioReference is a GREAT place that Elmers can operate. I have been helping Gerald up in Canada get an FT-101E running as he is working towards his ticket this winter. I am very interested in this thread and after I find out what key he is using, I thought perhaps we could send some morse code on CQ100 (QSONet - the virtual Ionosphere for Hams) or some other means where a code practice oscillator could be heard over VoIP like Skype or EchoLink. Once "tdenfuny" gets a rig and puts up an antenna, I would offer to work with them on CW as well as help them with the General question pool over Skype if they cannot find a local club that offers classes.

73, Dave K4EET

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you are opening a can of worms. I don't want to hijack this thread or steer it off-course, but, I think RadioReference is a GREAT place that Elmers can operate. I have been helping Gerald up in Canada get an FT-101E running as he is working towards his ticket this winter. I am very interested in this thread and after I find out what key he is using, I thought perhaps we could send some morse code on CQ100 (QSONet - the virtual Ionosphere for Hams) or some other means where a code practice oscillator could be heard over VoIP like Skype or EchoLink. Once "tdenfuny" gets a rig and puts up an antenna, I would offer to work with them on CW as well as help them with the General question pool over Skype if they cannot find a local club that offers classes.

73, Dave K4EET

well said Dave. a point well taken, you can find elmers in many places in the modern world, internet being a major source. fortunately for me, i was just self motivated. i looked around and thought, i do not want to be like these hams and stagnate at a level and not know code. so i advanced and learned code. i love code. i am to the point where i hear code looking at letters on a billboard. )) HI better a KNOW code than a NO code!

AK9R

Super Moderator
Folks, this is not the time or place for a code vs. no-code debate. That ship has sailed.

Please make sure your posts address the OP's question.

majoco

Stirrer
Dave K4EET said:
Starting with a straight key and then moving to the iambic paddles is probably your best path to take in learning to send morse code.
Definitely - and learn to receive all the characters, numbers, some of the common punctuation and symbols before you even touch a key. Download a morse program that you can load up with a text file and learn to copy that correctly then when you get proficient use the key to send the text while you listen to it again - soon you will send in sync with the 'perfect' morse. That's the way our tutor taught us way back in the 60's except it was with a Creed perforator tape machine. 5-letter groups are good too, you can't anticipate what is next. Get a good solid key and screw it down to a heavy block of wood or something - my Amplidan is mounted on a 4lb block of schist! There is some terrible morse out there - mainly running words together - so I don't want to hear anything bad from you! :)

Last edited:

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I like that phrase. Is it your quote or did you see that somewhere else? I like to attribute quotes to the folks that originated the quote...

73, Dave K4EET

NO, i did not make that up, not sure who did. well maybe i did, i did not event the NO code, KNOW code distinction, but i did say it's better to be a KNOW code than a NO code. or maybe i saw it on a shirt. i cant remember. lol.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
I like that phrase. Is it your quote or did you see that somewhere else? I like to attribute quotes to the folks that originated the quote...

73, Dave K4EET
I must say this, I have nothing against NO codes, but I would not want my daughter to marry one. HI

AK9R

Super Moderator
The OP hasn't been active in the forums since October 9 and the thread has wandered from his original question, so this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.