prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I need to build one for my use but need to know the formula. Do you know how to design a loop antenna using any formula?
There are formulas that will tell you the required loop inductance needed for a specific frequency range but how are you going to measure your loop inductance while building it? There are so many variables it’s hard to duplicate with enough precision from just plans. 10 people making the same loop from calculations or plans will end up with 10 slightly different antennas. You usually need an inductance meter to build the loop to a specific inductance needed to cover the tuning range you desire. Otherwise you build it then you find it’s off some then you change it then it’s off in another direction and so on.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I posted in another thread, the International Radio Club of America has a huge listing of articles, many of which I'm sure have to do with loop antennas, and the National Radio Club has several volumes of information on this. Both organizations are well known MW DX clubs. The NRC volumes can be found here

In addition, if you want to look into Ferrite Rod and Ferrite Sleeve antennas, we have a few links on that subject here

Mike