Best radio for MW DXing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boombox

The Sangean ATS-505 might be an option, which is also carried at RadioShack as a world radio.

Others might be able to tell you about the MW performance, but I have been impressed with the FM reception, and the HF reception has been acceptable.

Sent via Tapatalk

The ATS505 / Radio Shack World Receiver 2000629 is a great MW radio, but to seriously DX with it (unless you're in a high signal area) you need an external loop to get the most out of the radio. I'm in a low signal area and it's OK on MW but much better with a Select-A-Tenna or other external loop.

This is because the loopstick is 120mm but sort of thin. The IF chip is a hot chip, so to seriously DX MW with it an external loop helps.

On SW there are extra RF amp FET's in front of the chip, so you can hear a lot of SW on it even off the whip. I've found the FM to be remarkably good (although I'm no FMDXer).

If you can get one of them for $20 or so at Radio Shack, get a $30 Eton loop and you're in business. :)

Boombox

Boombox, thanks for the link and the info! Great and very helpful!

k9rzz, I guess I really want to buy a new radio as my first transceiver. I did not know that the Icom R75 has the same built-in attenuator as the IC-718 transceiver. I was seriously considering the 718 until I found out about the attenuator and that the AGC is not adjustable and not able to be shut off. Basically, the only choices I'm considering among ham transceivers are:

1. Icom IC-718 - which I am about to scratch off
2. Yaesu FT-450D
3. Icom IC-7200
4. Alinco DX-SR8T

Obviously, the quality of the MW reception of a particular transceiver is not going to be THE determining factor in getting that transceiver or not, but it will be A factor. The more factors I can line up in favor of a transceiver, the more justified I feel in my mind about spending that amount of money on a radio.

On the other hand, perhaps I should forego worrying about AM DXing with a transceiver and just get something like the CCradio-EP or some other portable to do my MW DXing.

Thanks for your input!

If I was in your position, I'd get a decent ham transceiver for hamming, and get a different, less expensive radio for MWDX.

This is because if you really want to DX the AM band you'll need a decent loop antenna, to take advantage of the directionality -- to DX the AM band you often turn the radio (or the external loop antenna) to 'null' out a station on a channel, so you can hear another station on the same channel. It's hard to do something like that with a ham rig attached to a wire antenna.

RE: AGC: I don't know about ham transceivers, but most MWDX portables have hot AGC and it's a benefit, rather than a detriment.

Usually the AGC in portables reduces the effects of pops (by suppressing the spike), not the other way around. Some radios have AGC set so high it pumps -- which can be a little tiring to listen to on headphones. But most portables I've used have moderately hot AGC, and it helps to pull a signal out of the mud. No AGC = weak signals are lower volume, and you have to crank the volume more than you normally would.

Like I said, I think with ham transceivers it's a different situation.

k9rzz

I guess that attenuator in the R75 isn't much of a problem if you have a -real- antenna, other than the radio becomes really deaf below 500khz. Sure, I can hear WWVB on 60khz, but I bet my remote weather station with WWVB receiver for time correction can hear it better. 200 feet of wire (or was it 400?) gave me plenty of signal to hear Colombia, South America over Detroit's WJR on 760khz a few weeks ago, so I guess it can't be all bad.

What I look for in a DX machine is, external antenna connections and lots of switches and knobs so "I" can control the radio. I want it to do what I want, not let it run on autopilot so to speak.

After that, it's all antenna. Wires are best, loops can be very very good, but not all loops are created equal, but I guess half the fun is experimenting with different combos to see how they play out. =:^]

jk77

Thanks everyone for such great suggestions and advice! I'm learning a lot from this thread. Yeah, I think it probably is better to get a dedicated radio to do MW DXing. I've forgotten that directionality is very important. Also, I guess, like in ham radio, the antenna is everything.

I'll have to check out those other radio suggestions. Right now I'm leaning toward the CCradio-EP.

I really appreciate all the responses in this thread!

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for such great suggestions and advice! I'm learning a lot from this thread. Yeah, I think it probably is better to get a dedicated radio to do MW DXing. I've forgotten that directionality is very important. Also, I guess, like in ham radio, the antenna is everything.

I'll have to check out those other radio suggestions. Right now I'm leaning toward the CCradio-EP.

I really appreciate all the responses in this thread!

I don't know what your finances are like, but this is the radio I own:

CCRadio 2E Enhanced AM/FM/WX/2-Meter Ham Band Radio (Black Mica) > AM FM Radios > AM/FM Radios | C. Crane

The EP model you are looking at is going to have some issues you may not enjoy.

I am 40 and I remember when all radios had an analog dial, not real friendly for knowing exactly where you are on the dial and drift will probably get on your nerves, not all tuners are created equally.

The knob you see for tuning the ferrite rob is not needed and you might find it to be problematic, it could be touchy and with every turn of the tuning knob you will have to tune that little knob for the best results, I would not like that idea.

The radio I have here does not have the little knob, what it does is use the circuits in the radio to tune the ferrite rob every time I tune the radio. There is a second where the signal meter flashes when I tune to a new frequency and then the signal gets nice and strong and the internal components done the precise job that my hands would have a hard time doing if the knob was really touchy, not to mention, I could never be precise as electronics.

I would spring for the model I have if you can. It is really nice and sounds good and can really pull in the signals on MW. Decent on FM as well and a pleasure to listen to. The weather band is nice as well along with the Amateur bands so I can listen to the local spotters during bad weather events.

I really think you will enjoy this model much more. That knob is not giving you more control, it is instead taking away your enjoyment.

I get Mexican MW signals regularly and have even got some channels from across the ocean. Love this little radio.

Boombox

The Sangean PR-D5 also tunes to the antenna (because of the SiLabs chip, they're apparently designed to maximise input from the antenna) and it's about half of the price shown for the CCrane 2E as shown in the CCrane ad.

Trade off is it might not sound as high-fi on MW -- the PR-D5 has 4 khz bandwidth. The PR-D5 is great for eliminating splatter, though, and the AUX IN is useful.

The CCranes are known for pretty good sound. I've never used one, just going by what I've read.

All the choices, it's a reason lot of radioheads have more than one radio. Very few are perfect -- they all have their pluses and minuses. :)

If I had my druthers GE would still be making the Superadio 1 or 2. But they quit making those in 1994. If you can get one of those models used for a decent price, and it works, you'd have a gem of a radio.

jk77

I actually don't mind having to tune that knob on the CCradio-EP. For me, the fun is in the tuning, not just in the listening. But I appreciate your advice on the 2E. It's just that I don't need 2 meter ham or weather since I have several HTs that have it. I will consider it, however, based on your recommendation. The only thing I don't like about the EP is the analog dial.

I'll have to check out that Sangean PR-D5 also. I *might* be able to get my hands on a Superadio. My father had one years ago which he gave to me, but I don't know what I did with it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

jonohudson

The SDRplay RSP has pretty good performance at medium wave and allows you to exploit the best features of a growing choice of PC software (HDSDR, SDR#, SDR-Console etc.) - the software can run on a small laptop or net-book for portability. At the moment we have an SDRplay RSP remotely accessible here in the UK, which you can try out on medium wave by installing SDR-Console on a PC and going to 'remote connection'. The antenna is actually tuned for HF amateur bands but pulls in a lot of MW signals. Give it a go by following the instructions on v2.sdrspace.com

kf7yn

I have the CCRadio EP and an original CC Radio. Both are very good for MW DX'ing but I give the edge to the EP because the noise floor is a bit lower. I have not had any quality issues with either one. The original CC has been used daily for at least 10 years. You would be happy with either.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have owned many radios, and for MW DXing, you cannot beat any good SDR radio. If you are new to MW DXing, some of the radios mentioned are excellent. However, with radios like Perseus, WinRadio, and ELAD, you can literally record the entire 1600 Khz spectrum of the AM band at the top of the hour, then go back and replay the IQ digital stream in real time. I have been listening to MW/SW DX for 55 years since 1959. The SDR radios have changed the game entirely.
As an example, I can easily record a 1600 Khz swath of the AM spectrum from 4:59 to 5:01 AM and listen over and over again to every frequency right at the 5:00 AM mark to pick up the ID. Serious MW DXers have gone to SDR radios and loop antennas. As jonohudson mentioned above, the array of SDR software, and the ability to remote control, are unparalleled.
Steve AA6IO

Boombox

I actually don't mind having to tune that knob on the CCradio-EP. For me, the fun is in the tuning, not just in the listening. But I appreciate your advice on the 2E. It's just that I don't need 2 meter ham or weather since I have several HTs that have it. I will consider it, however, based on your recommendation. The only thing I don't like about the EP is the analog dial.

I'll have to check out that Sangean PR-D5 also. I *might* be able to get my hands on a Superadio. My father had one years ago which he gave to me, but I don't know what I did with it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

One thing I neglected to mention about the PR-D5 is if you primarily listen with headphones, you'll probably eventually want to wire a mono jack in parallel with one of the speakers. It's very easy to do and will make DXing a lot easier on ultra weak channels.

Like a lot of radios apparently have, there are dropping resistors on the stereo headphone jack, and I think they are too high a value for ultra weak signal MW DXing. There is a lot of space in back of the right speaker to wire a mono jack in parallel with the speaker, and you'd get more volume than you'd need. I did that with mine.

The stereo headphone jack is my only chief gripe about that radio. Stock it works well on most signals, but sometimes I found myself maxing the volume and still not hearing an ultra weak station on a weak channel (like XERF from here in the NW). As soon as I wired in the mono jack it was like night and day.

The 4 khz bandwidth is a plus or minus, depending on how much splatter you want to reduce. I use my PR-D5 nightly, but I also use other radios.

If I have a splatter problem, I use the PR-D5. If I have an ultra weak station and the other radios aren't bringing it in, I'll try the PR-D5. Sometimes it brings it up readably, other times it's a toss up. If I'm tuning a graveyard MW channel, I usually use a different radio, to pull ID's out of the mess where the extra fidelity from a wider bandwidth helps.

RE: the EP. I think at least one reviewer on another site said he thought the EP was the natural successor to the Superadio. RadioJayAllen seemed to like it, and so does the guy who has a great GE Superadio page. Here is his breakdown of the CCraneEP:

CCrane Radio EP Technical Page

Even though the EP has an analog dial, the MW band is easy enough to memorise, if an analog radio has good enough selectivity you can count the channels as you tune across them.

Either way, have fun with whatever radio you choose.

jk77

Thanks Jon for the endorsement of the CCradio-EP.

Boombox, thanks for the link and the advice about the mono headphone jack.

sshermanmd, I will look into the SDRs. No doubt I will eventually get an SDR, but I'd like a traditional radio at first. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have the opportunity to get a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE. I don't think they make this radio anymore, but it is in like new condition. Does anyone have any opinion on this radio? Is it any good for MW DXing?

Boombox

Thanks Jon for the endorsement of the CCradio-EP.

Boombox, thanks for the link and the advice about the mono headphone jack.

sshermanmd, I will look into the SDRs. No doubt I will eventually get an SDR, but I'd like a traditional radio at first. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have the opportunity to get a used Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE. I don't think they make this radio anymore, but it is in like new condition. Does anyone have any opinion on this radio? Is it any good for MW DXing?

I've never used one, but I think it's related to a couple other radio designs out there that are good.

Here's a review by a MW DXer in Canada:
The Yacht-Boy 400PE Portable Receiver

PS -- the lack of sync detection and external antenna jack not working with MW are non-issues in my opinion. Most guys use an external loop inductively, i.e., you sit it next to the radio and peak the signal.

jk77

Thank you, Boombox, for the link to the review. I went ahead got the YB 400 because I picked it up for a song. It's ok. Better than nothing at least. I still intend to follow up on the other radios in this thread because I want the best MW rig I can get.

Honestly, I'm not sure what sync detection really is so I guess I'm not missing anything. Too bad it doesn't have the external AM antenna jack though as you point out, it isn't really necessary.

One question though: When people mention loop antennas, are these antennas that people make themselves or antennas that they buy? In that review (I think I read it there), the reviewer was talking about a four foot loop.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinion of the Yacht Boy 400PE or any other radios.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
IMO, a synchronous detector is almost a "must have" feature for MW DXing. It helped me bag some good DX that otherwise would have been swamped by fading or adjacent channel interference. Here's a short, simple explanation of what it is:

Grundig Satellit 800 Synchronous AM

Some radios have better sych detectors than others, and the ones that have selectable sideband synch detection are usually better than the ones that don't.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
One question though: When people mention loop antennas, are these antennas that people make themselves or antennas that they buy? In that review (I think I read it there), the reviewer was talking about a four foot loop.

Some can be purchased, but a DIY project will be more likely to get the most out of your situation.

Here is a page that talks about building them. There is a link on the left side, which will take you to a page specifically for AM loops.

http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?how-to-build-a-tuned-loop-antenna,118

Sent via Tapatalk

Boombox

Thank you, Boombox, for the link to the review. I went ahead got the YB 400 because I picked it up for a song. It's ok. Better than nothing at least. I still intend to follow up on the other radios in this thread because I want the best MW rig I can get.

Honestly, I'm not sure what sync detection really is so I guess I'm not missing anything. Too bad it doesn't have the external AM antenna jack though as you point out, it isn't really necessary.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinion of the Yacht Boy 400PE or any other radios.

You can build your own loop antenna -- I built a good one using approx. 110 ft of wire with alligator clips at the ends (had to cut it to make sure it tuned the entire AM band from 530-1700), a plastic milk crate (available for $8 at the local box store), some tape and a couple small zip ties, and a 365 pf tuner capacitor I had in my parts box.

The most difficult part in building your own loop is getting a 365 pf variable capacitor (like the tuner out of an old AM radio). You can always tear one out of an old, non-working AM radio.

There are 365 pf tuner capacitors available online (don't know the prices), but you may be better off for the short term buying an Eton loop or Terk loop -- prices are $50 or less, I think. Even a loop that size will boost signals on your radio by maybe 2-3db.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-AN-100-Tunable-Radio-Antenna/dp/B001KC579Q

On the link above you'll probably see several loops shown at the top.

Last edited:

jk77

Thanks, guys, for the links and advice. I really appreciate it.

I actually do have a Tecsun PL-660 with sync detection, but I've never used it. The MW is not good on that radio because of a lot of noise. But the HF is awesome.

I will probably buy a loop at first and then play around with building one. Interesting idea about the milk crate.

Thanks again.

k9rzz

I guess that attenuator in the R75 isn't much of a problem if you have a -real- antenna, other than the radio becomes really deaf below 500khz. Sure, I can hear WWVB on 60khz, but I bet my remote weather station with WWVB receiver for time correction can hear it better. 200 feet of wire (or was it 400?) gave me plenty of signal to hear Colombia, South America over Detroit's WJR on 760khz a few weeks ago, so I guess it can't be all bad.

SNIP

I retract my statement about the R75 being deaf on longwave. It does take some wire to make this radio come alive below 500khz, but here's my stock R75 hooked up to 600 feet of wire. I think I could run with out pre-amps on if I put a proper longwave antenna tuner in line (several inductors in series to make up for the 'short' antenna length).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW2N1Pi8k-4&feature=youtu.be

a29zuk

The Palstar R30 is also great on medium & longwave. It's about $350 more than when I purchased it, though, so it is expensive. Using the ECSS(2.4khz filter) cuts out any adjacent channel splashover. It is also very sensitive and has great audio with an external speaker.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.