Brand-New Uniden SDS200 Scanner for $640.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xray

But it never has, no one has reported a problem receiving warranty service.

Ok this is getting a little goofy ,, And who would report a problem, and where, that we would know about it ?

I asked the seller if it was under warranty by Uniden.

View attachment 81673

Would rather expect he would say that, since it says that on the ebay sales page. Maybe the next question should be, how can 1 dealer sell new units for less than all other dealers.

trp2525

...Maybe the next question should be, how can 1 dealer sell new units for less than all other dealers.

The discount pricing lower than the Minimum Advertised Price on the SDS200 (and the SDS100) is not just limited to one specific dealer. You just have to be on the lookout for a deal and know where to look.

During Black Friday 2019 there was a very reputable/legit dealer who was selling the SDS200 for $600 (with FREE shipping) and was also including the Uniden GPS puck (worth $50) for FREE. That same dealer was selling the SDS100 for $545 (with FREE shipping) and that included a FREE Uniden soft nylon case (worth $30). Here's the link to the post at RR describing those two deals: SDS100 / SDS200 Black Friday Deal

I personally know of a large brick-and-mortar electronics store (been in business for 70+ years) who was selling the SDS200 for $599.99 last month for a President's Day sale. You could purchase it in the store and take it with you or purchase it online or over the phone and have it shipped to you for FREE.

The deal that I posted for $640 in post #1 in this thread is a decent deal IMHO. If you are able to use the $50 eBay coupon as I detailed in post #15 in this thread you can get the SDS200 for $590.00 which is an even better deal. At this time that's the best deal that I am aware of for a brand-new SDS200. I posted this information to "pay it back" to others here on RR who have alerted me about some very good deals in the past. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the eBay seller.

Xbullworker

Competitive prices are so American. Why do so many here not like lower prices? Companies that want to set prices are Un-American. Let the market place decide what a radio product is worth. The SDS100/200 radios have been on the marketplace for a while now. Both had initial problems and the SDS200 still has a "Hum Stigma". First adopters are done with these models. Both models are extremely high priced. It is TIME for these models to drop in price whether Uniden likes it or not.

Xray

Competitive prices are so American. Why do so many here not like lower prices? Companies that want to set prices are Un-American. Let the market place decide what a radio product is worth. The SDS100/200 radios have been on the marketplace for a while now. Both had initial problems and the SDS200 still has a "Hum Stigma". First adopters are done with these models. Both models are extremely high priced. It is TIME for these models to drop in price whether Uniden likes it or not.

I am guessing they would be forced to drop the price if the units weren't selling. Many things are price fixed, especially electronics. Phones, game counsels, streaming devices, you name it. Haggling over price is largely a thing of the past, you either pony up or you don't get the item.

At first glance they do seem overpriced, but the term of course is relative. When I remember what I paid for my 1st handheld scanner that could receive the military UHF band [AOR 1000], these don't seem so bad. They were around $1,500 in 1990, now thats overpriced. But they were a technological marvel that did things no other scanner could do and did them very well ,,, Kinda like the SDS today.

Xbullworker

I am guessing they would be forced to drop the price if the units weren't selling.

Haggling over price is largely a thing of the past, you either pony up or you don't get the item.

No doubt Uniden WILL be forced to drop the SDS prices. Many scanner enthusiasts are sitting on the fence determined NOT to pay $700 for a scanner that is servicing a dying hobby. Haggling is completely different than getting the "best price". Thanks to the Internet a wise consumer can use many tools to research the "best price", no haggling required. Reading topics like this one on RR are helpful also as it is now known you can get a SDS200 for $590 on eBay, NO HAGGLING REQUIRED.

Ponder this, the dealers selling discounted SDS scanners are NOT losing $$$, nor is Uniden losing any $$$ as I suspect Uniden sells the radios at a Price Fixed amount to dealers/distributors. So at $590, sellers (and Uniden) can still make a profit. How much of a profit? Who knows, but you can bet they ain't losing $$$ on a SDS transaction.

Last edited:

Xray

I think everyone pretty much knows they can get a unit slightly cheaper if they comb through ebay listings, that is the main reason ebay exists, to buy below retail.
I have no idea if the guys selling below retail are "dealers" or not - Far as I am concerned they are just some guys who came into some units and are looking to offload them at a slight discount, and likely have as much connection to Uniden as you or I. Why/how they are in a position to offer a discount is not at this point known. Usually the case is they are factory seconds/returns/refurbished.

I am holding out for a price drop BTW, was disappointed they didn't offer anything on black friday even after they said they were having a black friday sale. In no great rush, I just get the feeling if I pulled the trigger today, 1 month from now they will be $100 less.

Xbullworker

I have no idea if the guys selling below retail are "dealers" or not - Far as I am concerned they are just some guys who came into some units and are looking to offload them at a slight discount, and likely have as much connection to Uniden as you or I. Why/how they are in a position to offer a discount is not at this point known. Usually the case is they are factory seconds/returns/refurbished.

What am I missing here? What do you know I don't?

On the eBay listing of this Topic it says

NEW ITEM, 100% Satisfaction,
"eBay Money Back Guarantee Get the item you ordered or get your money back."
"Top Rated Trusted Seller" Seller Information - 100% Positive feedback" Free same day shipping.

I asked the seller if it was under warranty by Uniden.

View attachment 81673

The seller claims he is a Uniden Dealer and the units have a Full Uniden Warranty. Is he a liar?

Xray

What are you missing ? A sense of skepticism, perhaps.
To put it bluntly, the guy could be lying, great shiny feedback aside. If this guy is an authorized dealer as he claims [and which I doubt], then why isn't every other authorized dealer offering discounts ?

Xbullworker

why isn't every other authorized dealer offering discounts ?

GREED? Maybe, but the Major dealers that advertise here on RR have overhead costs that eBay sellers lack. Advertising cost's $$. Fancy websites, phone support cost $$. Costs that the buying consumer has to pay.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The seller claims he is a Uniden Dealer and the units have a Full Uniden Warranty. Is he a liar?

Nope, we know he's not a liar because every seller on Ebay is absolutely trustworthy and 100% honest!

eg153wftx

If I want lumber I go to a lumber yard, paint a paint store,pet food a pet store, and the same for scanners and accessories.. Uniden, HRO local or scannermaster...

trp2525

If I want lumber I go to a lumber yard, paint a paint store,pet food a pet store, and the same for scanners and accessories.. Uniden, HRO local or scannermaster...

That could certainly work to your disadvantage and cost you in the long run. For example, Ham Radio Outlet (as you specifically mentioned in your post) only offers a 10-day return policy AND they charge a minimum 15% restocking fee for non-defective merchandise. If you wanted to return your non-defective SDS200 to HRO during the 10-day return window, you would be out $105.00 (15% of HRO's current SDS200 price of $699.99) and would only get back $595. In addition "All return freight charges are the responsibility of the customer" per the HRO website.

For comparison the eBay seller linked in post #1 of this thread offers FREE 30-day returns, your choice of your full money back or a replacement unit AND the seller pays for return shipping. If you happen to have a problem with the seller, eBay has your back covered further with their own eBay Money Back Guarantee.

If you want to confirm for yourself Ham Radio Outlet's short 10-day return policy and minimum 15% restocking fee for non-defective merchandise, you can find it here under the "Returns" section: You are being redirected...

Xbullworker

You pay DEARLY when you go to any of those stores and get the same product you could get cheaper at Menards/Lowes/Costco/Sams Club etc. Which is fine as there are many customers that "need" hand holding, support and the "feel good" you get from Specialty stores. These customers must be willing to pay higher prices and do. OTOH there are many customers that continually look for bargains, best deals and are willing to sacrifice "Feel Good" for the savings of $$$$$$...

Xray

That could certainly work to your disadvantage and cost you in the long run. For example, Ham Radio Outlet (as you specifically mentioned in your post) only offers a 10-day return policy AND they charge a minimum 15% restocking fee for non-defective merchandise. If you wanted to return your non-defective SDS200 to HRO during the 10-day return window, you would be out $105.00 (15% of HRO's current SDS200 price of $699.99) and would only get back $595. In addition "All return freight charges are the responsibility of the customer" per the HRO website.

For comparison the eBay seller linked in post #1 of this thread offers FREE 30-day returns, your choice of your full money back or a replacement unit AND the seller pays for return shipping. If you happen to have a problem with the seller, eBay has your back covered further with their own eBay Money Back Guarantee.

If you want to confirm for yourself Ham Radio Outlet's short 10-day return policy and minimum 15% restocking fee for non-defective merchandise, you can find it here under the "Returns" section: You are being redirected...

Many reputable places charge a restocking fee simply because they won't turn around and sell a returned unit as new. Now what about this ebay guy, what is he going to do with a returned scanner ? Certainly not eat it.

trp2525

I received my new SDS200 from gear4less today. They shipped 2nd day FedEx and it's the first one that does not have the Humm. Yeah!
Serial # 098003xxx.

Good luck with your new hum-free SDS200! That FREE 2nd day FedEx shipping that you received is even better than what they have posted on their eBay listing which states FREE "Standard Shipping (FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery®)."

trp2525

Many reputable places charge a restocking fee simply because they won't turn around and sell a returned unit as new. Now what about this ebay guy, what is he going to do with a returned scanner ? Certainly not eat it.

If you really want to know what the ebay seller gear4less does with a returned scanner you should send them a message through eBay and ask them. (BTW I don't believe that this eBay seller is an "eBay guy" with 65,974 sales on eBay.) Please post back in this thread with the seller's response so that others who may have the same question will know. I seriously doubt that an eBay seller who is reselling returned merchandise as new would have a 100% positive feedback rating with over sixty-five thousand sales.

What do "reputable places" that don't charge a restocking fee do with their returned scanners (defective and non-defective scanners)? Return them to the manufacturer for credit perhaps?

Xbullworker

I seriously doubt that an eBay seller who is reselling returned merchandise as new would have a 100% positive feedback rating with over sixty-five thousand sales.

This seller also has a
NEW ITEM, 100% Satisfaction, AND a
"eBay Money Back Guarantee Get the item you ordered or get your money back."

How in the world could you have these Guarantees AND attempt to sell returned or used radios as New? Some of the posters here have insights and biases I just do not have......

Xbullworker

Many reputable places charge a restocking fee simply because they won't turn around and sell a returned unit as new.

A restocking fee is an attempt to stop demoing of equipment and also an attempt to limit customer dis-satisfaction with the item bought. IOW, make sure before purchase the item will satisfy your requirements because once you buy it you are stuck with it. Satisfaction Guaranteed to the Seller NOT the Buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.