BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Browsing database on radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

regression

Is it possible to browse the database on the radio and assign a system to a favorites list? The only way I know of is to scan based on zip, then created a favorites list based on that. But the resulting favorites list is pretty large and takes a while to delete everything except the one system I want to keep.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can't "browse" the database in the radio and build your Favorites Lists.

As you said, scanning/holding/entering/saving the channel to a Favorites List is the only way of entering a database channel to a Favorites List.

You might be better off using the Sentinel Software to read your scanner and edit that "pretty large" Favorites List. Sentinel is also your best option for Favorites List creation/editing. ARC 536 is another program for doing this, but Sentinel is the least costly.

regression

Thanks. I have been using the Sentinel software. I was thinking if I were traveling and didn't have time to setup a favorites list before hand, how to go about just picking a certain system to scan. Looks like without software, there isn't an easy way to do so. Thanks for your help.

regression

I found sort of a work around. When scanning the database, you can hold on a system or department. Then you can scroll to the one you want to monitor. I can take a while if there are lots of systems / departments, but that is one way to just scan something specific from the database without creating a favorite.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My scanning "modus operandi" is this: I create Favorites Lists for my home area as well as for travel destinations. Each Favorites List has its own Quick Key.

When I am at home or at my destination, I was turn on/off the Quick Keys for the appropriate Favorites Lists. I also have the full database off.

When I'm traveling between home and my destination, my Favorites Lists are off and the full database is on.

The scanner is connected to a GPS unit, so the appropriate "stuff" is turned on/off.

If you are not using a GPS device and use the zipcode setting to fix your scanner's location, you could reduce the range value to cut down on the number of systems being scanned. (The greater the range, the wider "scanning net" you are casting).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Favorites List Size

My scanning "modus operandi" is this: I create Favorites Lists for my home area as well as for travel destinations. Each Favorites List has its own Quick Key.

When I am at home or at my destination, I was turn on/off the Quick Keys for the appropriate Favorites Lists. I also have the full database off.

When I'm traveling between home and my destination, my Favorites Lists are off and the full database is on.

The scanner is connected to a GPS unit, so the appropriate "stuff" is turned on/off.

If you are not using a GPS device and use the zipcode setting to fix your scanner's location, you could reduce the range value to cut down on the number of systems being scanned. (The greater the range, the wider "scanning net" you are casting).

I am curious about the favorite list. I have programmed a 996 for someone. I was not impressed with the method things were store with the quick keys.

If I'm not mistaken, these radios don't have the ability to store as much information as a GRE digital. So, I'm assuming that this favorite list is a variation of a V folder.

Here is my question. How many favorite lists can you add to the radio?

regression

I am curious about the favorite list. I have programmed a 996 for someone. I was not impressed with the method things were store with the quick keys.

If I'm not mistaken, these radios don't have the ability to store as much information as a GRE digital. So, I'm assuming that this favorite list is a variation of a V folder.

Here is my question. How many favorite lists can you add to the radio?

According to the user manual, you can create 256 favorite lists. However you can only have 100 quick keys.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A V-folder has all scanner settings (including the channel programming, but also all other parts of the scanner's configuration). You can only load one V-folder at a time (it replaces everything that was in the scanner's working memory).

Favorites Lists contain radio system information. You can load as many as you want at one time (up to the 256 limit), but each one is limited to 1 megabyte in size. As a reference, the entire database of USA and Canada take up only about 21 MB. These scanners have greatly more channel capacity than the GRE 500/600 models (GB instead of kB).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
32 Site Limit, Bummer

A V-folder has all scanner settings (including the channel programming, but also all other parts of the scanner's configuration). You can only load one V-folder at a time (it replaces everything that was in the scanner's working memory).

Favorites Lists contain radio system information. You can load as many as you want at one time (up to the 256 limit), but each one is limited to 1 megabyte in size. As a reference, the entire database of USA and Canada take up only about 21 MB. These scanners have greatly more channel capacity than the GRE 500/600 models (GB instead of kB).

The more I look into this radio, the more I want one. I get so tired of having to play around with statewide trunking systems for states like Kansas, Colorado, etc., where P25 trunking is widespread & you have to load multiple sites to stay under the 32 limit. For once I would like to just pick up and go without all of the programming drama.

I suppose the PSR 800 is more similar to the 436 than the PSR 500/600 since it has a SD card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.