Buying a portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKEYP0323

Premium Subscriber
I work ems out in suffolk county and am interested in buying a portable to take with me to the different jobs i work. I was looking at the FT-60R by yaesu. Will this work for most of the departments? and can i scan the frequencies i have stored in it???? I am new to this so take it easy on me....

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ft-60r?

Give us a little more to go on, will you have the authority to xmit on it? you know it only covers VHF high band & UHF, will those two bands fit your needs including future expansion? Will you be scanning/operating on just one or a couple of agencies or are looking to scan/operate on all EMS/FD/ETC frequencies.? You do know that Suffolk County FDs & EMS is in a constant state of frequency transition right now, we are talking VHF low band, VHF high band, UHF (The full spread from 450.0 MHz to 487.0+ MHz) & 800.0 MHz trunked systems which this particular portable will not cover. Check the RR database for Suffolk County & go on the www.w2lie.net website to see just how many different frequency systems you would be dealing with. If most of the answers to the above questions is yes then I strongly suggest a high end handheld scanner, surely some of your co-workers can suggest one to fit your listening requirements. I'm from Central Islip so I've been there & done that, happy hunting.
FLRAILMAN

MIKEYP0323

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the reply, I would mainly be on VHF + UHF. we really dont use the 800 band unless giving a hospital presentation. i believe in the ft-60R it only goes up to 470.... is there any way to change that or a different radio. I will be looking to scan/operate on lets say 6-12 freqs that I have permission for and the others i would like to just scan on. Is this possible on the FT-60r?

MIKEYP0323

Premium Subscriber
it seems like the ft-60r will cover most of the freqs individual departments in the county. Is this a good quality radio?

D

DaveNF2G

It is a violation of FCC regulations to use the FT-60R on non-amateur frequencies. You need to obtain a commercial grade portable for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.