California Radio Interoperable System (CRIS)

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
Is everything on the system Phase 2? I've been listening to the Oat Mtn. Site, which is line of sight to my house, but have not heard any audio on my Phase 1-only GRE PSR-600.

I have heard a very limited amount of phase 1 on Oat - but given the rarity of hearing anything at all the site, that could be significant 8*)

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
RID 16707153 came up on Site 13 today...That's an awful big RID compared to what we have been normally seeing!

Regards,

-Frank C.
Was this associated with a Talk Group of just an affiliation request?

I'm not saying this IS what's being seen here, but often times when radios are connecting through a "bridge" of some kind they can be prefixed with a specific ID number.

We are starting to notice something like this happening on the American Electric Power (AEP) TDMA control channeled system here in the Midwest. It is believed that when a radio is talking in via LTE the RID number is assigned a prefix by the system and when it is talking directly through a P25 site it uses it's normal RID. It's POSSIBLE 167 or 1670 could be a prefix for a bridge of some kind being used by radio 7173. Again, not saying this IS what's happening here but it could be something to keep a lookout for.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Was this associated with a Talk Group of just an affiliation request?

I'm not saying this IS what's being seen here, but often times when radios are connecting through a "bridge" of some kind they can be prefixed with a specific ID number.

We are starting to notice something like this happening on the American Electric Power (AEP) TDMA control channeled system here in the Midwest. It is believed that when a radio is talking in via LTE the RID number is assigned a prefix by the system and when it is talking directly through a P25 site it uses it's normal RID. It's POSSIBLE 167 or 1670 could be a prefix for a bridge of some kind being used by radio 7173. Again, not saying this IS what's happening here but it could be something to keep a lookout for.

I think I saw it go to TG143 which has seen a lot of DC30__ Radio Techs lately.

Regards,

-Frank C.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Some updates this week on the CRIS website, specifically the "history" section:
  • 2020 - Phase 2 consisted of 20 additional 700 MHz RF sites bringing the total to 26 repeater sites. This extended CRIS North Valley coverage from Sacramento to Redding, added coverage in the Bay Area from approximately Clear Lake to Santa Cruz, and added coverage in the Los Angeles, Ventura, and Orange Counties and the major roadways in those areas. In addition, three Phase 3 sites were installed ahead of schedule, adding coverage from approximately Auburn to Blue Canyon along the I-80 East corridor. Refer to the North Valley Region, Tri-County Region, Bay Area Region, and I-80 East Region predicted coverage maps.

• 2021 - Phase 3 is underway and includes planned deployment of an additional 10 700 MHz repeater sites, bringing the total to 36 repeater sites by year end. These sites will add Central Coast coverage from approximately King City to Santa Barbara, extend I-5 North coverage to Yreka, and improve Bay Area coverage.

• 2022 – Phase 4 plans to install VHF highband repeaters sites in Mono County and 700 MHz repeaters in the San Diego, Imperial, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Kern Counties.

Well that confirms site 36 is at Williams hill. I wonder if they still have Fremont peak on the list. Anyone in SLO area see anything pop up out there?

Last edited:

officer_415

Database Admin
I took a trip to a local hilltop in Cloverdale this evening (around 1700H on 11/15/21). I immediately picked up CRIS Site 50 which had tested Noted in Butte per RRDB. I might suggest it might not be Butte as I do not have a clear LoS, even at 700' ASL of Sutter Buttes. Mt Saint Helena is seen to the RIGHT as the tallest spike of white in FMP24.

I’ve received Site 50 when visiting Wolf Mountain occasionally.

I also received Site 50 the other night in Wilton using an outdoor antenna tuned for 700/800 MHz. I have pretty-good line of sight to Pine Hill (Site 1, same Control Channel) so receiving Site 50 was a bit of a shock. My portable preferred Site 1. I’m going to chalk it up to placement and weather.

Based on your observations, I'm thinking Site 50 may be Mt. Konocti, which would have line of sight to both Cloverdale and the Butte/Yuba/Sac areas where it's been heard. @franks_ham pointed out it could also be Cobb Mountain. Hopefully he can narrow it down for us ;)

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Some interesting convos on Loma this afternoon. DC 705 at Morgan Hill Cal Fire, DC 709 CHP Golden Gate Dispatch and DC 721 roving. Using TG 137. Seem to be working on getting CHP Dispatch into the system. RIDs 270 465 467

officer_415

Database Admin
Based on your observations, I'm thinking Site 50 may be Mt. Konocti, which would have line of sight to both Cloverdale and the Butte/Yuba/Sac areas where it's been heard. @franks_ham pointed out it could also be Cobb Mountain. Hopefully he can narrow it down for us ;)

I didn't realize there's a Seigler Mountain site in the official documents. I think that's Site 50.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Some interesting convos on Loma this afternoon. DC 705 at Morgan Hill Cal Fire, DC 709 CHP Golden Gate Dispatch and DC 721 roving. Using TG 137. Seem to be working on getting CHP Dispatch into the system. RIDs 270 465 467

Heard on Mt. Saint Helena as well. I missed some of the traffic initially as I was busy with another system but I have the recordings. They were busy! I Saw TG136 come up for DC709 as well.

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I got an interesting hit this afternoon. TG 2063_ENC_ (TDMA) from RID 70073. This was on Mt. Saint Helena.

This morning on Pine Hill TG149 showed up with just a registration.

TG 861 (CHP VAL-GOLD) seems to be hitting on most sites as well.

Regards,

-Frank C.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
I monitor the Blueridge system every day, occasionally I might hear a transmission from the techs and Sacramento, I monitor from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. I guess this sute is not used?

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I monitor the Blueridge system every day, occasionally I might hear a transmission from the techs and Sacramento, I monitor from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. I guess this sute is not used?

It depends on where the techs are and what they have active. As long as the site is still broadcasting CC data, when a voice hit comes across you will hear something. Most of these "key ups" are just a radio registering/affiliating with the system and then deaffilliation.

Regards,

-Frank C.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
New application filed on 12/10/2021 for a VHF site at Sweetwater Mountain in Mono County. Three (Sherwin, Conway, Crestview) of the other VHF sites were granted and one was returned (Silver Peak).

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
New application filed on 12/10/2021 for a VHF site at Sweetwater Mountain in Mono County. Three (Sherwin, Conway, Crestview) of the other VHF sites were granted and one was returned (Silver Peak).

All the Mono County licenses and presumably those upcoming for Inyo County are all on VHF-High. This just in time for both counties to switch to UHF as subscribers on a Mobile Relay Associates system. Interoperability has been present in the eastern Sierra for a few decades thanks to the huge channel capacity of the radios in each agencies radios. The only agencies not on VHF-High were State Parks (although the rangers have VHF mobiles in their vehicles), CHP (they have interoperability with anyone due to their mobile setups) and Caltrans with their 800 MHz system. The latter have VHF-Low mobiles in their supervisor's rigs for CHP communications though. Now UHF trunking is entering this situation and hardly anyone, except for some businesses, use that band in the two counties. I think CRIS was being designed here based on VHF interoperability, but now, they may want to consider designing for UHF as well.