Calvert County Public Services TRS

davidhut

The Smartnet system is still up only to patch in mutual aid until their radios have been reprogramed

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense - I have not been paying attention to what channels are being assigned to AACo units responding into Calvert. But it seems to me that AA County has had plenty of time to reprogram their radios, but perhaps are waiting until their new system and the state's Zone 5 goes on the air. IDK. Then of course, Charles County...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I noticed over the weekend that my G5 can receive the Calvert P25 system outside of my office in Annapolis - not perfectly, but acceptably. This is with the upgraded antenna.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There was an updated antenna deployed several years ago. Almost exactly the same exterior dimensions. Not sure if new radios come with the slightly higher gain part - it has a different color band.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I’m not sure if anyone has noticed but the digital system and VHF dispatch frequency has more power to them. The system itself can be heard further into St. Mary’s and Charles. I’m well aware of the season changes but I believe it’s more then that.

awal

I’m not sure if anyone has noticed but the digital system and VHF dispatch frequency has more power to them. The system itself can be heard further into St. Mary’s and Charles. I’m well aware of the season changes but I believe it’s more then that.
Yes, I’ve noticed it here in Upper Marlboro as well…

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I can receive the new Calvert system outside my office in Annapolis with the G5. I *used* to be able to receive the cch inside with a SDR solution, but not currently.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Assuming that your radio is programmed correctly, keep in mind that Calvert's system is not super busy most of the time. The RRDB entry for Calvert is correct.

Firemantincan

Assuming that your radio is programmed correctly, keep in mind that Calvert's system is not super busy most of the time. The RRDB entry for Calvert is correct.

When you say programmed correctly do you mean with the frequencies and tgs or something like a band plan etc?

The problem that I'm having is that I'm occasionally missing the whole conversation.

For example: a patrol unit calls in a tag. After that I can't hear the dispatcher give the return, but I can hear the unit confirm the read back. (note: it seems like 859.1125 is the only real reliable frequency that the tgs land on for me)

Signal strength is not an issue. I'm using a BCD996P2. Idk if this helps.

P.S.

The list of frequencies brings me to another question btw. I notice that the FCC licenses WQTP882 WQXY863 and WQXY623 list the following frequencies:

I realize that some of these frequencies are the frequencies in use. Why are there others listed as well that are not used (1) and (2) where do the two old frequencies listed in the database come into play in all of this?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Assuming that you have correctly programmed the scanner to receive a P25 trunked system (hint: you only need to program the control channels - the other frequencies are irrelevant.) One issue may be that you are using a 996P2 as your receiver. Although that scanner can technically follow a P25 trunked system when programmed correctly, it has trouble receiving simulcast systems which is the type of system used in Calvert County. A radio specifically designed to receive simulcast signaling will likely solve your issue.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Seems Calvert is updating their Code Plugs. A Calvert unit "tested" on various new Anne Arundel County P25 talkgroups yesterday. In addition, they did the same on FiRST with the MD Marine Zone & DNR State Park Events Channels. Not sure if they did others talkgroups on FiRST or any of the other surrounding counties.

doctorwizz

Feed Provider
Seems Calvert is updating their Code Plugs. A Calvert unit "tested" on various new Anne Arundel County P25 talkgroups yesterday. In addition, they did the same on FiRST with the MD Marine Zone & DNR State Park Events Channels. Not sure if they did others talkgroups on FiRST or any of the other surrounding counties.
What are code plugs?