Calvert County Public Services TRS

doctorwizz

Feed Provider
If they are testing, is it operational? Is the SmartNet system still on the air? Are the Sheriff's encrypted?
It is on the air and operational for fire and ems. Sheriff still on the P16

doctorwizz

Feed Provider
I hate the way digital sounds. Is it like that on their radios?
Sounds muffled and robotic. Like way to low of a bitrate.

Last edited:

LilMike7

Premium Subscriber
Sheriff and MSP will be encrypted once fully moved to new system. There's talk that Fire and EMS will have some encrypted channels.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Sheriff and MSP will be encrypted once fully moved to new system. There's talk that Fire and EMS will have some encrypted channels.
MSP is unlikely to be encrypted on FIRST. Even when Talbot, Caroline, and Queen Anne Sheriffs decided to hide their operations from the public using encryption, the MSP Barracks in those counties remain in the clear. Fire Special Operations tgs were planned to be encrypted as of several months ago.

LilMike7

Premium Subscriber
MSP in St. Mary's is encrypted. I wonder if they'll go clear once FIRST comes into the county. Hopefully everyday fireground TGs are clear.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
MSP in St. Mary's is encrypted. I wonder if they'll go clear once FIRST comes into the county. Hopefully everyday fireground TGs are clear.
MSP Leonardtown is currently hosted on St. Mary's system. I'm expecting them to be in the clear on FIRST, as is the Princess Anne Barrack in Somerset County (the county Sheriff is encrypted.) Same for Cecil County - their Sheriff is encrypted, but the JFK and North East Barrack are in the clear (as they should be.)

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I hate the way digital sounds. Is it like that on their radios?
Sounds muffled and robotic. Like way to low of a bitrate.

No, it is not like that on true subscriber radios. Scanners do a comparitively very poor job of decoding audio from P25 C4FM, let alone the CQPSK waveform that's used for nearly everything new. Subscriber radios handle it much better.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I’m hearing Calvert Sheriff on tg10101 in the clear.

The G5 has better voice audio aka less muffled than the SDS200 - maybe has something to do with freq response of the audio system/ speaker/enclosure.

The G5 begins to receive Calvert 800 intermittently at Annapolis Towne Center.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Calvert Sheriff appears to have cut over to the P25 system as they are not on P16. Fire is simulcasting on both.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm still getting sheriff and state police on P16
Weird - I have the sds200 locked on the P16 and only getting Fire, while the G5 is active with the Sheriff. I’ll run UT2 on the P16 system and see what data it captures - I probably have the LEOs Avoided in the SDS programming.

EDIT: Yup it was Avoided, lol. I probably got sick of hearing LEOs last time I was down this way.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Tg 10104 is sheriff tac 3. 10101 is sheriff dispatch. 10109 looks like MSP Prince Frederick.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Their new system is live with the FD and Sheriff; the P16 system was still carrying traffic on Saturday - most was crosslinked from the P25 system, but there could be some subscribers still using Smartnet. The new fire 150MHz VHF FTO was also in use.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Seems that the Calvert County Sheriff and FD are no longer using the old Smartnet system. I think I only saw a highway department user on the old system today.