Camden Co., NJ - County system to go live

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireradio44

Update:Voorhees police appear to be operating on TGID 301. It is running fulltime encryption and cannot be monitored. The only way I know what it is is by the radio ID. So this begs the question will the county encrencrypt all police comms?

All police talk groups will be encrypted when they come online.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
If this system was built with interoperability in mind the encryption on all PD channels isn't going to help things. Sure all in-county units would be able to communicate but if there was a need for bordering towns in Burlington or Gloucester counties to get on the channel to communicate what are the chances their radios will be configured with the encryption? This was heavily discussed and debated in Bucks County PA and they came to the logical conclusion that all regular everyday PD communications would be in the clear and seperate talk groups would be set up for secure communications. I'm sure plenty of EMS and Firefighters that used to listen with their scanners will not be happy along with the rest of the scanning community.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
If this system was built with interoperability in mind the encryption on all PD channels isn't going to help things. Sure all in-county units would be able to communicate but if there was a need for bordering towns in Burlington or Gloucester counties to get on the channel to communicate what are the chances their radios will be configured with the encryption? This was heavily discussed and debated in Bucks County PA and they came to the logical conclusion that all regular everyday PD communications would be in the clear and seperate talk groups would be set up for secure communications. I'm sure plenty of EMS and Firefighters that used to listen with their scanners will not be happy along with the rest of the scanning community.

Actually interoperability is and has been STRONGLY considered in the building out of this system, as well as the upcoming Burlington and Gloucester County systems, which by the way are currently underway in the buildout phase. Burlington has begun their construction phase for a three-site simulcast system on 700MHz. and Gloucester County will begin shortly as well. All users of these systems will be 100% Project-25 Phase II compliant and will have encryption AND encryption is shared with neighboring cities from county to county as required by their contracts and Homeland security funding.

So, in a nutshell, units respond between counties will be able to roam on and off these respective systems as well as others throughout the state AND will have the necessary encryption keys to communicate with each other as needed. Encryption keys are managed by a server which is connected to the trunk system. Keyloaders can also be used; however, I would expect encryption keys to rotate from time to time...

Eventually, a unit will be able to travel anywhere in the state and roam on/off ANY 700/800 system and retaining contact with their respective local PSAP.

The new generation is upon us and time are changing. Burlington County will retain 500 unit such time as all of the new sites are online and ALL of the equipment can be replaced; this process will likely take several years to complete. Gloucester County will receive all new equipment as did Camden County. Also, get ready because Atlantic County and Salem County are moving as well and in the coming months, Ocean and Monmouth Counties will begin as well. Lots and lots of changes coming to New Jersey over the next few years. This summer, listen for Mototrbo in many shore towns as well...

I know this isn't what scanner users wanna hear, but this is what our government is becoming; everything is now suddenly secrete squirrel...

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I really Don't get why Philadelphia is not encrypted and they just got a brand new system and that city has the most crime in it

They will, but you have to remember how costly it is to replace ALL of the cities radios. Eventually, Philly will be a FULL Project-25 Phase II system with full-time encryption; however, that will not happen until all of the subscriber radios have been replaced with the APX series. Currently, PFD/PPD are using either XTS3000 or XTS5000 series radios. ALL new APX radios are being purchased with AES-256 encryption modules. Likely time-frame 3 to 5 years...

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I loaded up my scanner with tey system. I turned it on about 8am'ish today (March 6th, 2013) and havn't heard a thing (as of 12:16hours). So, i'm keeping it close so I can hear if anyone talks on it. I'll keep everyone updated. (I hope I programed it right!!)

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you are going to hear much. So far the only transmissions in the clear have been the radio techs testing. Even some of that was encrypted Vorhees twp has been full time encryption since they went live on the system Monday morning.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I'm not hearing anything. The channels I are using 101 and 102 are opening up I have my alarms set so every time it opens up it sets it off. But I still don't hear a thing. No one speaking. Knowing Voorhees is encrypted and can't hear at all, but they lock up all the time.

If anyone has had any success with other trunk i.d's please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Encryption

Didn't know that all police talkgroups on new Cam County P25 will be encrypted. Is that confirmed? Wouldn't think that fire, EMS would encrypt main talkgroups. Has anyone heard otherwise?

mding4gold

Premium Subscriber
YES confirmed. I have talked to the guys getting the system ready. ALL POLICE communications will be encrypted as they come on board. Police are not expected to be on the system till later this year. Fire and EMS will be switching in 2 - 3 weeks.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Encryption

Thanks for information about police. Fire, EMS will not be encrypted, right?

mding4gold

Premium Subscriber
Some notes on the new system. Dispatching will still be done on F-1 (154.43) except for the following: Camden City Fire, Camden City EMS, Pennsauken EMS, Cherry Hill Fire & EMS. Cherry Hill will have their own dispatch channel switching to a 3 beep dispatch system similar to Camden City.

I heard testing on some new talk groups:

aslc

Premium Subscriber
CHFD will be dispatched on own channel without pager tones. Didn't know that. Is it a conv VHF freq, new P25 talkgroup, or CH Twp 800 TRS? Will their fireground be on that same separate channel? Have you heard if anyone will provide a feed for P25 system? Thanks for your info.

mding4gold

Premium Subscriber
CHFD will be dispatched on the New trunked system on their own channel. They are setup to be in the east response group. So they will be dispatched on their own channel and respond with everyone else on the East talk group.

I don't know of any feeds, the only scanner, that I know of that will receive the new system is the GRE PSR-800.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
$450+ for the PSR-800 is bad enough but since can't monitor encrypted police many won't spend that for just fire, ems. Since CH, Camden, & Pennsauken EMS will have their own dispatch channels I'm guessing they won't simulcast on a VHF so that knocks out monitoring them on conv scanner. Oh well.....

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Almost afraid to ask, but do we know if gloucester and winslow township police are going onto the system? Also how will mutual aid work? Will there be a patch if an AtlantiCare medic or westville ambulance needs to respond to a call in the county?

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Fire- all 37 towns on new system. Police- Cherry Hill, Gloucester Twp, Winslow, Pennsauken, & Camden remaining on their own..... at least for now. Don't know if Camden City's switch to County Police will affect what system they operate on. With budget problems and new County Police force I'm sure towns will look at their options for dispatching and police protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.