Camden Co., NJ - County system to go live

Status
Not open for further replies.

mding4gold

Premium Subscriber
The County is advising they can patch units through South Jersey Net (154.265).

Fire & EMS will not be encrypted.

There will be 2 channels for highway responses.

There will be a helicopter opts channel.

Most scene details to be given over the vehicle MDC's. Cutting down on radio chatter.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Sorry this is delayed but there is daily testing on at least one of the following talkgroups:

Just make sure the wildcard is activated and it will find these other talkgroups. All transmissions are phase 2 so when they come up you should see a little "D2" in the corner of your screen. talkgroups are usually acrive during the daytime hours into early evening. The best thing would be to set your radio to record so that you don't have to wait around to hear any action.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Almost afraid to ask, but do we know if gloucester and winslow township police are going onto the system? Also how will mutual aid work? Will there be a patch if an AtlantiCare medic or westville ambulance needs to respond to a call in the county?

This week we had a radio over view of the system. They told us that the "host county" of an incident would have to set up the patch. i.e. a MVA on Route 42 south of creek road would bring Bellmawr and Deptford. Camden would set a patch over Highway 1 on South Jersey Net. Now say, Westville has work and Gloucester City goes in, Gloucester County would set up a patch on there end. Now where they set up there patch I don't know, but I know most stations that do Mutial aid in to another county generally has that counties radio's in the trucks. There are 4 Operations channels (North, West, South and East). Each operations Channel will have 3 tac channels and 1 fireground channel. 2 County wide fire, 2 County wide EMS, 2 Highway Channels and a bunch of other channels as well. This will be very interesting to monitor I must say.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Camco911 thanks for the info. Do you know if any of the new channels will be simulcast over the old VHF freqs, at least for some period of time?

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Camco911 thanks for the info. Do you know if any of the new channels will be simulcast over the old VHF freqs, at least for some period of time?

No, as far as the county is concerned that system is o.o.s. when the new one goes in. They will keep it for a month but it's as good as gone!

aslc

Premium Subscriber
I understand the PSR-800 scanner is the only one that can monitor the new system & that scanner is not being manufactured at this time due to company issues. Supply is tight, prices higher. At $500+ many can't afford. So wo/simulcast fire, ems volunteers & public won't be able to monitor unless somebody sponsors a feed.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
I understand why someone would not want shell out that kinda money. The counties that I can think of (Burlington, Salem, Atlantic and Ocean counties) that have trunked systems with out having any simulcast for there volunteers. I'm guessing that they had just enough money to start up there new systems and didn't have the extra to spend on putting simulcast freq's up so volly and buff's could listen. For the camden system alone you would need 4 simulcast freq's to buy, with repeaters on each. That to me sounds like that would drive that $35M system over there budget. I don't think they could justify the cost.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Simulcasting for the other counties you mention is not needed since their trunking technology is supported by many brands of scanners costing less than $500. Cam County using Phase II TDMA is only supported by one high priced scanner that is currently out of production. As for simulcast many places have done it using old, existing frequencies, radios and towers patching over from new TRS at little cost.

mding4gold

Premium Subscriber
Since the County is encrypting police I don't think they are very concerned about simulcasting for scanner listeners. So I don't see them spending any money to do that.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
Just talking about simulcasting fire & ems since 95% are volunteer and members want to be able to listen. I did during 14 years with ems. Not talking about police since they're encrypted and no volunteers.

phillydjdan

Whoever told you Philly was moving to full-time encryption was blowing smoke. They have had encryption on certain channels and it will remain that way moving forward. Repeat after me: Philly is NOT going to be encrypted full-time...

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
That's cool. Now, regarding this camden county system, has a date been set for fire/ems to switch over?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Oh I don't know, it just looks like one license for a few of the frequencies on tye system. But if you go to the camden county p25 page in the RR database and click on the wiki tab, it will list all the licenses for the system. For some reason there are quite a few licenses but as you click on each one you will get a list of frequencies and tower locations. Keep in mind some of the frequencies you will see in that list are different than what's listed in the RR database for the system. That's because some of those are just input frequencies and not necessary to scan the system.

AngerManagement

GTFD #6
Ok, thanks. I didn't know whether or not they were the actual frequencies that were used to scan the system. Not that I have anything to listen to them on. Just curious about how many there may be.

Tech792

In ref to timeline, don't know if this will help you but the Motorola subcontractor that I have been working with the past few weeks says they are pulling some guys off of my job to send to Camden County starting this Monday to start installing 6,500 mobile radios for the county system.

fireradio44

In ref to timeline, don't know if this will help you but the Motorola subcontractor that I have been working with the past few weeks says they are pulling some guys off of my job to send to Camden County starting this Monday to start installing 6,500 mobile radios for the county system.

There arent 6,500 mobiles to be installed. The number is around 700. The model number is APX6500...

Last edited:

fireradio44

Simulcasting for the other counties you mention is not needed since their trunking technology is supported by many brands of scanners costing less than $500. Cam County using Phase II TDMA is only supported by one high priced scanner that is currently out of production. As for simulcast many places have done it using old, existing frequencies, radios and towers patching over from new TRS at little cost.

The problem is the narrowband mandate by the FCC. The VHF frequencies that Camden County uses would all have to be done. No way the county is putting out the money to do that just so simulcasting could be done so the public can still use their scanners.

Maybe someone that already owns a PSR800 could supply the feed here....

aslc

Premium Subscriber
The problem is the narrowband mandate by the FCC. The VHF frequencies that Camden County uses would all have to be done. No way the county is putting out the money to do that just so simulcasting could be done so the public can still use their scanners.

Maybe someone that already owns a PSR800 could supply the feed here....

Thanks.... forgot about the narrow band issue. I know they took care of F1 since they're keeping that for tone dispatch. I wasn't thinking of simulcast so much for the public's benefit but for the hundreds of fire and ems volunteers in the county that want to be able to monitor what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.