Can dropping your BC125AT damage audio or reduce range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeeeeta

I recently dropped my Bearcat BC125AT scanner from my desk and onto the floor. When it fell I also accidentally ran over the top of the antenna with my chair although I picked it up quickly. My question is if there is a possibility that the scanners hardware was damaged or there are any differences in the range and audio quality when I dropped it. I haven't noticed anything too obvious but one thing is that there are slight pauses and crackles when listening. I have also noticed that when I press scan I only hear one channel but if I switch it to hold a channel I can hear audio from that channel. The keys all seem to work and the antenna doesn't look visibly damaged.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Your biggest risk is that if there was an iffy solder joint or loose connection already, you certainly didn't help it by dropping the radio.

Your question is much to broad for anyone to give you a definitive answer. Basically, it all depends - maybe, maybe not...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's possible you may have cracked the internal circuit board or the internal antenna connection may have separated. That used to be a common problem on many hand held scanners. If you're handy with electronic soldering it should be an easy fix.

N4DJC

The speaker on the 125 will break when dropped sometimes, but it usually won’t work at all. It’s not terribly difficult to take a look inside.

a417

If you pick it up at the reciprocal of the rate at which it fell, you offset any damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.