• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can I get MDC1200 installed on my Baofengs somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

I have 35 Baofeng BF-888s Radios I wish to have an MDC1200 preamble on. I found one guy who said he can install a chip that he can program for me, but he was very shady, I don't trust him lol.

Basically what I want is it to give off an ID and have that second of tone that keeps you from talking, just like the Motorola radios have, with the exception of $200 gets me 20 cheap radios instead of 1 good one. Does anyone know if this is possible or where to find it?

Just to be clear, I want to broadcast the code, not receive and translate the code with a speaker accessory.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, its Baofeng radios but a Motorola system. I'm new to this forum.

R8000

Very Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Buy a Motorola. No, really....that's about the only thing to do.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Buy a Motorola. No, really....that's about the only thing to do.

Motorola is not the only company to offer MDC-1200. All my current Kenwoods do it. Icom and Vertex offer it, as well as Connect Systems Inc CS-760/800 series radios. There are la whole bunch of radios that offer MDC-1200 now.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have 35 Baofeng BF-888s Radios I wish to have an MDC1200 preamble on. I found one guy who said he can install a chip that he can program for me, but he was very shady, I don't trust him lol.

Probably not a good choice for a radio in your instance. If the rest of your system is running MDC, then you really should be looking at compatible radios, however, there are options, see below.
As for "shady", trust your gut.

Basically what I want is it to give off an ID and have that second of tone that keeps you from talking, just like the Motorola radios have, with the exception of $200 gets me 20 cheap radios instead of 1 good one. Does anyone know if this is possible or where to find it?

Here are a couple of options:
https://www.midians.com/specs/automatic-number-identification-ani/ani-f
https://www.midians.com/specs/ani-encoders/ts-120-sm1
https://www.midians.com/specs/ani-encoders/vae-1-sm1
CIM-1200 MDC-1200/GE-Star Encoder | Officer.com

Installation won't be easy. It's going to take a bench tech some time to:
1. figure out the right places to tap into the circuit board to get the right signals in/out.
2. install and program these.
3. test.

That isn't going to be cheap. Purchasing 35 of these, paying a tech to figure out the installation, then do the installation is going to take some time. Bench time can be around $85 per hour. You are probably looking at a couple hours of work.
Then you have the issue of putting a $70 option into a $15 radio (yeah, I know, they probably cost more than that, but it's still a $15 radio).
So, now, you have the cost of the radio, the cost of the ANI board, the cost of the tech time. Now add in the normal attrition rate of these radios. Each time one fails, is lost, stolen, damaged, etc. you are looking at paying for installation.

That is, of course, if you can find a tech that will work on these things. They are essentially "disposable" radios. Finding accurate schematics to find the connection points will likely be difficult. Then, making sure these guys will fit inside the radio case. All a lot of hassle for what you are trying to do. These are a few of many reasons most of us steer clear of these radios.

Might make some sense to do what you are asking, but -really- these low end radios are suitable for hobby use, maybe very light industrial use. You could easily find radios that will do MDC1200 natively for nearly the same price you'll pay for the board and installation.

Seems like trying to polish a turd. In the end you have a shiny turd.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Premium Subscriber
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
Do you have an operational NEED for individual radio ID, or do you just want to be THAT guy who annoys EVERYBODY every time you hit the PTT button and mistakenly think it's cool when really it is anything BUT cool?

NO, MDC AND MODAT ARE NOT COOL. THEY ARE ANNOYING AS HELL.
DO NOT BE THAT GUY.

cmdrwill

Elroy, you ARE right on Sir.

NO, MDC AND MODAT ARE NOT COOL. THEY ARE ANNOYING AS HELL.
DO NOT BE THAT GUY.

Status
Not open for further replies.