Can't talk to another person on "Fan Scanner"

donc13

Premium Subscriber
That's my point. The button should switch the radio to talk mode and cut off the scanner so we can hear each other while we talk. At least that's what I was told before I bought them.

You didn't do your homework. They do NOT talk to each other, they talk to a 2 way radio. They listen to any radio they can be plugged into.

You know, how the crew chief talks to the crew and driver... Via 2 way radio.

Your scanner does not, and never did have the capability to transmit or amplify the teeny, tiny output of a microphone.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
If this is what you bought

You didn't follow the instructions. THEY supply you with a MODIFIED Bc125AT that requires a 9v battery to amplify the microphones.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
@n4yek Posted a video that says they should have come with the batt;s (9 volt)...
May be a tab that needs to be pulled to connect them... Maybe...

T_Chris_T

If this is what you bought

You didn't follow the instructions. THEY supply you with a MODIFIED Bc125AT that requires a 9v battery to amplify the microphones.
Well before I bought it i specifically ask about talking; and the sale rep told me we "could" talk to one another and the scanner would cut out so we could hear each other.
I figure if the sales rep don't know how it works; that's an issue.
The item you attached IS what I bought... and was told would be able to talk to one another before I spent my money. I DID my homework prior to purchase.
It does say comes with custom Audio Boost. That's why I paid an extra $200 - so we could talk to one another.

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Well before I bought it i specifically ask about talking; and the sale rep told me we "could" talk to one another and the scanner would cut out so we could hear each other.
I figure if the sales rep don't know how it works; that's an issue.
The item you attached IS what I bought... and was told would be able to talk to one another before I spent my money. I DID my homework prior to purchase.
It does say comes with custom Audio Boost. That's why I paid an extra $200 - so we could talk to one another.
Then read the instructions on how to power the headsets.

T_Chris_T

Then read the instructions on how to power the headsets.
THAT was one of the problems. The "kit doesn't come with ANY instructions concerning the headsets.
Just a manual for the scanner. No info on how they work; what the buttons are for; how to connect the wires.
I would think when buying scanners AND headsets I would get instructions for everything I purchased.
Yes; most of it should be common sense; but still there are "various" ways things can be connected.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
THAT was one of the problems. The "kit doesn't come with ANY instructions concerning the headsets.
Just a manual for the scanner. No info on how they work; what the buttons are for; how to connect the wires.
I would think when buying scanners AND headsets I would get instructions for everything I purchased.
Yes; most of it should be common sense; but still there are "various" ways things can be connected.
Several folks have posted YouTube video instructions. Racing Radios was also open today, you could have called them. Their website also has a help section, in particular, a section on how to change the battery that came installed.

ScottL

Premium Subscriber
On top of the right hand earcup there is a "door" that slides open and you will see the compartment that holds a 9 volt battery. You need a battery in each headset in order for the intercom feature to work. I have attached a copy of the instructions. We have been using the exact same setup for many years and they work exceptionally well.

Attachments

• MANUAL_RE_Gemini5.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
On top of the right hand earcup there is a "door" that slides open and you will see the compartment that holds a 9 volt battery. You need a battery in each headset in order for the intercom feature to work. I have attached a copy of the instructions. We have been using the exact same setup for many years and they work exceptionally well.

That's a different brand than he has... See post #14... Vid shows how to get to the battery on his...

T_Chris_T

Several folks have posted YouTube video instructions. Racing Radios was also open today, you could have called them. Their website also has a help section, in particular, a section on how to change the battery that came installed.

Don you are preaching to the choir.
I DID all those things and got nowhere so far. That's why I posted here.
RR was the first call I made when I got up yesterday; and the "technical support" guy said he had (quote) "NO Clue" how they worked. He'd have to check and call me back. SO far; no return call.
The video about the battery in the headset was the only "new" thing I saw yesterday. But as you said it came already installed; so it wasn't like the lack of a battery was the issue.
STILL no one has commented on IF their own scanner cuts off when they talk; or if they system just mixes in their voice to what is being played already.
I was told pre-purchase when you keyed the mic that it cut out the scanner, and the other person heard nothing else but you talking.
I'm just trying to learn if these are going to function the way the sales person told me they would; or if I'm going to box them up and return them because they don't do as I was told.
Basically all I have is a scanner and two head sets that can listen only.

T_Chris_T

yeah - I had all that info in the link covered so I don't know what's up - I did notice the link supplied went instructions for a RE headset and mine is a RR; but in theory they should all work the same.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
yeah - I had all that info in the link covered so I don't know what's up - I did notice the link supplied went instructions for a RE headset and mine is a RR; but in theory they should all work the same.
A similar video is on RR's website under support. Did you check that the 9v battery was connected properly? It would be unusual to manufacturer a part with battery fully installed rather than installed but connected.

Do you have the 3 flat wire cable connected left ear of one to right ear of other? My recall from video is you only need 1 flat 3 wire cable if only 2 sets of headphones are connected. Also, I believe the headphone with the battery needs to be the headphone plugged into the scanner.

T_Chris_T

A similar video is on RR's website under support. Did you check that the 9v battery was connected properly? It would be unusual to manufacturer a part with battery fully installed rather than installed but connected.

Do you have the 3 flat wire cable connected left ear of one to right ear of other? My recall from video is you only need 1 flat 3 wire cable if only 2 sets of headphones are connected. Also, I believe the headphone with the battery needs to be the headphone plugged into the scanner.
OK - I'll check into that. thanks

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
So your radios should cut out and get quite when you talk. I used Racing Electronics kits for a while now. I prefer RE for both customer service and support but your mileage may vary. As said there is a 9V battery for the intercom function to work. Sorry I dont know anyone that uses the Racing Radios version. Most all my contacts use RE instead. They are the supported vendor for NASCAR as well as many other divisions.

When I did use mine, my scanner/radio would mute when I push the PTT. Voice from one headset would come out on another headset.

I have since switched to radio only headsets and no longer use the intercom function. For 99% of the fans the intercom function works very well.

Did you pull out the 9V battery and check it ?