CB's in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps3king

Hi guys,

I've been hovering around the forums here and there and thought I'd post this since I did not have too much luck finding it myself. What type (or combination) of CB (and/or scanner) work here in Ontario to listen to OPP or other LE Agencies like the OPS (here in Ottawa).

I have about $200 to spare and would like to get a CB radio that will allow me to communicate with other drivers and truckers as I'm travelling on the 401 so that I can use it as a possible countermeasure.

So....what set-up are you running in your vehicles that allow you to do so in your vehicles?

I'm in Ottawa and do not know of any stores that specialize in CB radios and I'm very new so I'm relying on your help to make possible suggestions as to what CB radio would be useful and also the type of Antenna.

Appreciate it,

moosexing00

HTA OREG 366/09
“two-way radio” (CB) means a wireless communication device, consisting of a main receiver unit and a separate hand-held microphone, that is operated by a push-to-talk function on a set frequency and that allows for voice communication but not for the transmission and receipt of voice communication at the same time

Time-limited exemption for other public functions
11. (1) Until January 1, 2013, the following persons, while engaged in the performance of their duties, may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio:
1. Employees of and persons contracted to a public utility within the meaning of the Public Utilities Act, the Municipal Act, 2001 or the City of Toronto Act, 2006.
2. Employees of and persons contracted to a transmitter or distributor within the meaning of the Electricity Act, 1998. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 11 (1).
(2) Until January 1, 2013, employees of or persons contracted to a road authority, while they are engaged in road patrol, repair, maintenance or construction activities, may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio

Time-limited exemption for certain commercial activities
12. (1) Until January 1, 2013, drivers of commercial motor vehicles, within the meaning of subsection 16 (1) of the Act, may drive a commercial motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio.
(2) Until January 1, 2013, the following persons, while engaged in the performance of their duties, may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio:
1. Drivers of motor vehicles clearly identified as courier delivery vehicles.
2. Drivers of tow trucks or roadside assistance service vehicles.
3. Drivers of taxicabs and limousines licensed by a municipality or airport authority to provide passenger service.
4. Drivers of street cars.
5. Drivers of road-building machines.

Time-limited exemption for amateur radio operators
13. (1) Until January 1, 2013, drivers who hold a valid radio operator certificate issued under the Radiocommunication Act (Canada) may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio

After JAN 1, 2013 - CB's are prohibited for all

colby4601

HTA OREG 366/09
“two-way radio” (CB) means a wireless communication device, consisting of a main receiver unit and a separate hand-held microphone, that is operated by a push-to-talk function on a set frequency and that allows for voice communication but not for the transmission and receipt of voice communication at the same time

Time-limited exemption for other public functions
11. (1) Until January 1, 2013, the following persons, while engaged in the performance of their duties, may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio:
1. Employees of and persons contracted to a public utility within the meaning of the Public Utilities Act, the Municipal Act, 2001 or the City of Toronto Act, 2006.
2. Employees of and persons contracted to a transmitter or distributor within the meaning of the Electricity Act, 1998. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 11 (1).
(2) Until January 1, 2013, employees of or persons contracted to a road authority, while they are engaged in road patrol, repair, maintenance or construction activities, may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio

Time-limited exemption for certain commercial activities
12. (1) Until January 1, 2013, drivers of commercial motor vehicles, within the meaning of subsection 16 (1) of the Act, may drive a commercial motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio.
(2) Until January 1, 2013, the following persons, while engaged in the performance of their duties, may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio:
1. Drivers of motor vehicles clearly identified as courier delivery vehicles.
2. Drivers of tow trucks or roadside assistance service vehicles.
3. Drivers of taxicabs and limousines licensed by a municipality or airport authority to provide passenger service.
4. Drivers of street cars.
5. Drivers of road-building machines.

Time-limited exemption for amateur radio operators
13. (1) Until January 1, 2013, drivers who hold a valid radio operator certificate issued under the Radiocommunication Act (Canada) may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a two-way radio

After JAN 1, 2013 - CB's are prohibited for all

Because this is exactly what the OP was asking about. Way to not answer any of his questions. CB's will be prohibited in VEHICLES only come January 2013. They will not be prohibited altogether.

You will not be able to listen to the OPP on your CB and there is no scanner/CB combination. You will want to purchase a digital scanner to listen to the OPP. These cost more than $200.

The folks in Ontario (other than this guy) can give you more information on the best scanners for Fleetnet than I can.

Good luck!

moosexing00

Because this is exactly what the OP was asking about. Way to not answer any of his questions. CB's will be prohibited in VEHICLES only come January 2013. They will not be prohibited altogether.

You will not be able to listen to the OPP on your CB and there is no scanner/CB combination. You will want to purchase a digital scanner to listen to the OPP. These cost more than $200.

The folks in Ontario (other than this guy) can give you more information on the best scanners for Fleetnet than I can.

Good luck!

It was to prevent him from wasting money on a CB as CB's are prohibited in Ontario unless you fall into the categories as listed as exemptions under the legislation, come January 2013 they are then prohibited in all vehicles.
I posted the HTA sections so that I backed it up with facts.

chrislang

Ontario

The scanner I used for travelling the corridor..London ont to Ottawa and all over is the Bearcat BCD 396T and now there is a better one out now BCT396XT great scanners but expensive..Opp are digital now and digital scanner is the only one you will be able to hear them on for any great distance..There are some freqencies you can hear them on short range 1-2 kms they are listed in the database here on the website ..As far as a CB is concerned A good radio is the cobra 29 and a magnetic mount antenna like the Li'l Will (little wilson ) and the radios will not be banned/prohibited in 2013 they just don't want anyone talking on them while the vehicle is in motion..They will be allowed to transmit while parked, say truckstops and at a lumbermill when big trucks have to get a hold of loader operators and such, so as far as no radios in a vehicle don't believe it till it happens...2013 is a few years away...Kinda makes ya wonder if aircraft will be exempt........Air Canada 639er contact ground on121.9.......I cant its illegal 639er out....lol It said airport authorities not aircraft..did not see OPP on the exceptions thought it said municipal authorities not county oh well I may be starting to rant so I will bow out...Good luck..

Last edited:

bpsmicro

It was to prevent him from wasting money on a CB as CB's are prohibited in Ontario unless you fall into the categories as listed as exemptions under the legislation, come January 2013 they are then prohibited in all vehicles.
I posted the HTA sections so that I backed it up with facts.
That's not *entirely* accurate. The radios themselves are not prohibited, merely handheld usage (as in, holding a microphone in your hand). Now, for most intents, that's close enough, but the theory is that within the next three years, the manufacturers of these various radios (CB, amateur & commercial) should be able to come up with some sort of handsfree setup.
The amateur radio community has been following this very closely, and there are many projects afoot to allow "legal" mobile usage when the time comes.

Having said that, I suspect no CB radio on the market *now* has a handsfree option. But if I were thinking of buying one, that would be a major factor in my research. Be prepared to spend more, or buy extra options at some point, but look at the manufacturers who are actively dealing with this issue *now*.

Of course, it's also correct that CBs and Scanners (ie. listening to the OPP) are two entirely different subjects, so the thread is already a bit muddy there. If you want to listen to OPP, as was stated above, you need a digital scanner. They're over $500, and totally unrelated to CB in every way (and, thankfully, not subject to the handsfree limitations since you don't need to hold anything in your hands to listen).

Brad.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
I seen a CB online the other day that works with Blue-Tooth headsets... Can't recall the model, was probably a C0bra or Uniden..)

ps3king

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't mind spending some $$ now to get a CB and another one in 2013 that may be 'legal' in Ontario. My budget is about $100-$150 which includes CB, antenna, installation, tuning and everything else I might've missed!

Scanner is definitely out of the question if it's over $500...so for now if can get some help for a CB that would be awesome. Basically looking for a CB that is fairly easy to use/set-up, and has some useful features that come in handy. Not necessarily looking for the cheapest option but something that has a lot of added value.

Appreciate it,

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
Basically looking for a CB that is fairly easy to use/set-up, and has some useful features that come in handy.

Options other than "on" and "volume"?

CB bands have been pretty quiet since the 1970s. All you'll hear is the odd truckers talking near freeways, but that'll be pretty much it.

You're about 30 years too late for the CB boom.

nova1010

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't mind spending some $$ now to get a CB and another one in 2013 that may be 'legal' in Ontario. My budget is about $100-$150 which includes CB, antenna, installation, tuning and everything else I might've missed!

Scanner is definitely out of the question if it's over $500...so for now if can get some help for a CB that would be awesome. Basically looking for a CB that is fairly easy to use/set-up, and has some useful features that come in handy. Not necessarily looking for the cheapest option but something that has a lot of added value.

Appreciate it,

If you don't want to spend a bunch check here Forum SwapShop (you may have to register to veiw) never know what you'll find I have delt with a few guys there,you also might find someone local.

You should be able to find a good used CB with SSB and WX(weather) for what your price range is.

Good luck last time I heard anything on CB was in the early 90s

mrweather

There is still CB activity on the 401 from Windsor to at least Toronto.

It's sometimes hard to listen to when my kids are in the car because of the blue language but they're still out there.

RCR619

I seen a CB online the other day that works with Blue-Tooth headsets... Can't recall the model, was probably a C0bra or Uniden..)

I was just given a bluetooth cb on the weekend. The one I have in my truck now is a cobra 29 ltd bt. Havent tried the bluetooth yet, but it also has talkback on it.

RCR619

Make is Cobra model is 29LTD BT.
Heres a picture of it.
Cobra202920LTD20BT20BLuetooth20120S.jpg

Beanzy

CB, S are still alive I live near the 402 and it,s none stop talk out there and when they close the 402 due to a wreck the guy,s without GPS are in a panic . We use the CB,S when deer hunting better range then those hand held talkies as we cover a wide area this banning hand held stuff is a joke CB,S were here before Cell phones etc they should be grandfathered in .

Don_Burke

The way I read the specs on the Cobra Bluetooth CB, it will not make it hands free.

What I am reading tells me that the Bluetooth is to allow you to use the microphone and speaker on the CB to make phone calls.

RCR619

The way I read the specs on the Cobra Bluetooth CB, it will not make it hands free.

What I am reading tells me that the Bluetooth is to allow you to use the microphone and speaker on the CB to make phone calls.

Yeah, pretty much. Its not illegal to use a cb while driving yet.

hitman1303

Wow this act is bull, how about the truckers or private security and others who use two way radios. I think alot of people will still use this even if this goes active. I enjoy CB's and will prob still have one in my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.