CB's in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCarnage

Wow this act is bull, how about the truckers or private security and others who use two way radios. I think alot of people will still use this even if this goes active. I enjoy CB's and will prob still have one in my truck.

LOL, alot of people still use cell phones even though they are banned

va3css

After JAN 1, 2013 - CB's are prohibited for all

No, they are not.

Read on to Section 14:
Exemption for pressing buttons
14. (1) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio if the device is placed securely in or mounted to the motor vehicle so that it does not move while the vehicle is in motion and the driver can see it at a quick glance and easily reach it without adjusting his or her driving position.
(2) A person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while pressing a button on a device that is worn on his or her head or hung over or placed inside his or her ear or is attached to his or her clothing and is linked to a hand-held wireless communication device to make, answer or end a cell phone call or to transmit or receive voice communication on a two-way radio or a hand microphone or portable radio.

Your post cuts off at Section 13. You didn't post the rest of the law.

For those who want to read the entire thing, click here.

va3css

Hi guys,

I've been hovering around the forums here and there and thought I'd post this since I did not have too much luck finding it myself. What type (or combination) of CB (and/or scanner) work here in Ontario to listen to OPP or other LE Agencies like the OPS (here in Ottawa).

I have about $200 to spare and would like to get a CB radio that will allow me to communicate with other drivers and truckers as I'm travelling on the 401 so that I can use it as a possible countermeasure.

So....what set-up are you running in your vehicles that allow you to do so in your vehicles?

I'm in Ottawa and do not know of any stores that specialize in CB radios and I'm very new so I'm relying on your help to make possible suggestions as to what CB radio would be useful and also the type of Antenna.

Appreciate it,

As has been mentioned, you will not find one radio that does both.

You will need a digital scanner, not just an "ordinary" one, and (this was also mentioned), that will cost you more than $200. So already, you're out of your price range.

Also, as of right now, the OPP is digital, but not (yet) encrypted. If they go encrypted, your shiny new digital scanner is now trash for hearing the OPP.

ObiHann

Is this CB radio ban ontario wide, or nation wide? Same idea as the hands free cell phone ban from what I get? I'm in Halifax and have heard nothing about it, but I have a CB on my Jeep for when I'm on the trails.... I assume they don't care if you have a CB, just if they catch you on it while driving?

va3css

Is this CB radio ban ontario wide, or nation wide? Same idea as the hands free cell phone ban from what I get? I'm in Halifax and have heard nothing about it, but I have a CB on my Jeep for when I'm on the trails.... I assume they don't care if you have a CB, just if they catch you on it while driving?
I guess you missed the post above about Section 14. There is NO BAN.

But yes, since driving rules are handled on a Province-to-Province basis, this new anti-Cell Phone law mentioned in this thread is Ontario-wide.

You may want to keep your eyes on the news out your way. Saskatchewan followed Ontario and passed a similar law (with a few differences), and the talk is that most Provinces are going to have something if they don't already.

ObiHann

I guess you missed the post above about Section 14. There is NO BAN.

But yes, since driving rules are handled on a Province-to-Province basis, this new anti-Cell Phone law mentioned in this thread is Ontario-wide.

You may want to keep your eyes on the news out your way. Saskatchewan followed Ontario and passed a similar law (with a few differences), and the talk is that most Provinces are going to have something if they don't already.

We already have a hands-free law. I'm all for it, if only it was better enforced :(

mrweather

Until January 2013. Then you'll need some kind of hands-free device (like a TalkSafe) aftewards.

I'm waiting for the first court challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.