CFD Happenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT-112

Can't hear out here

Well, unfortunately for me, these channels aren't monitorable at home or even in my neighborhood.

I've tried 4 antennas and 3 different radios, at home all I get is motorboating or silence, depending on the radio.

I did a very minor drive test with my best performing radio/antenna combination. In short, I get nothing around the I-90/59 area, some decode towards Roselle road and then better reception (but still nothing really good) around Woodfield.

Once again, I suspect simulcast transmission is the issue; I don't think it's a signal strength issue. I'm probably in an area of destructive signal action/ISI impacts.

Oh well, we'll see if it gets better when the leaves come out.

acepilot340

Shades,
Thanks for keeping us out of the dark, your work is greatly appreciated. I'm SE of Joliet in the New Lenox area and I can only pick up the system with my attic antenna. Sounds good though, my ERR rate is 5-15.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Im in itasca and get pretty good signals monitoring the new p25 channels whith the best reception coming from my rooftop antenna but also get very good results with my xts3000 and 396xt also, You can actually put all those frequencies in one single freq trunked system it will scan them all, i have it set up with all the new digital channels in one system and the gqks are assigned to each frequency 1 is ems north ids 2 is ems south ids and 3 is oem ids and so on but I only have one system so it scans all the frequencies and stops on active ones and displays the radio ids and so on just like a trunk systems and talk groups any way that setup has been working pretty good for me while monitoring this 30 day testing period. And i would also like to thank werinshades for all of his information if it was not for him we would really be behind in this game but he has kept us up and running so thank you.

Bob

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Im in itasca and get pretty good signals monitoring the new p25 channels whith the best reception coming from my rooftop antenna but also get very good results with my xts3000 and 396xt also, You can actually put all those frequencies in one single freq trunked system it will scan them all, i have it set up with all the new digital channels in one system and the gqks are assigned to each frequency 1 is ems north ids 2 is ems south ids and 3 is oem ids and so on but I only have one system so it scans all the frequencies and stops on active ones and displays the radio ids and so on just like a trunk systems and talk groups any way that setup has been working pretty good for me while monitoring this 30 day testing period. And i would also like to thank werinshades for all of his information if it was not for him we would really be behind in this game but he has kept us up and running so thank you.

Bob

Bob, Ace and everyone else, you're very welcome for the information. Since I have some inside knowledge as far as radio signatures and so on, i'd rather have everyone on the same page when the fire switches so this won't be such a shock to our monitoring systems..lol.
One thing i'd suggest though to all that want to make the best of their XT's, it can work as Bob has it set up, but you'll run out of ID's when the fire side switches. I have experimented with two scanners one set up the way Bob has it, the other way I have it know (One system per channel...6 seperate systems/sites) , to see how the scanner behaves. I have discovered alot of missing transmissions with the method Bob has. I have set the System Hold Time and Delay to 0, and have Radio ID's set up as a Group on each System.
I previously mentioned one of our "issues" is the quick responses by our dispatchers "ok, 42" may result in you thinking your scanner is not working correctly, which it is not to worry. Since this is a "30 day evaluation period" , we have free reign to bring up issues to our higher-ups, and this one I did mention. On the user end, we have portables only and sometimes if the OEMC audio is low (we keep complaining too..lol) , and quick responses, we're not sure we can be heard. They're asking us to report all status changes via MDC and radio during the evaluation period, so the system can be evaluated properly. At a recent meeting, I said this won't be a problem when the fire side switches as their is more radio traffic and they hopefully will remember to speak up at louder fire scenes...remains to be seen.
One more thing I clarified from a previous post, the radios will be re-programmed and Zone TZ (Test Zone we're currently using), will be eliminated. From a chart I had seen with the new Radio Zones, it looks much more simplified. Their will be an Administrative Channel 3, but it will be UHF. This may mean one of the UHF simplex frequencies will be used, or maybe the Fire City-Wide will be re-designated...i'm not sure. Fire North & South, EMS North & South, two seperate Special Event Zones also. Channel 2 on the fire zones will be their respective EMS Channel...(EMS Main or EMS Englewood). Here's the bad word we all worry about...encryption. The only radios that will have encryption capabilities will be chief officers and command staff. I was happy to hear this.At a meeting, I said when they make the final programming of radios decision, use the K.I.S.S. theory...Keep It Simple Stupid. Based upon the chart I saw, they were way ahead of me. If we have to keep switching Radio Zones to take full effect of this system, it won't work. The key word for this switch is Interoperability...they seem to be making sure it will hold true.
My best guess is, the fire companies will report somewhere to pick up digital portables. I originally heard all firefighters will have one, which would make sense. If the current pattern holds, we should be able to figure out the radio ID's prior to the switch.
I'll keep RR updated here, then if anyone wants to add it to the database please feel free. I know their's some discussion on CARMA about it, so if Rich or Ted want to add it to the database their, please do. I'm trying to catch a Radio ID off an ALS Truck so I can start programming my Fire Company Groups on the Main & Englewood fire channels. I've copied the previous post if anyone wants to start programming Radio ID's..:

Originally Posted by werinshades
Decided to try this on my 996XT to watch the radio ID's. Pretty easy format to figure out, but a little different programming then I was used to. Each Channel had to be programmed seperately as a P25 Single Frequency Trunk as per the Uniden site. I'm still tweaking the Delay and System Hold time so not to miss transmissions. Previously mentioned 2 radios per ambulance so each one had their own ID. Here's the ambulance ID format on the portables :

i50xx001 (Officer's Portable)
i50xx002 (Fire Paramedic or FF/EMT's radios on BLS Ambulances)

The x's represent the ambulance number. Example (i5042001-Amb. 42 Officer's radio) (i5042002-Amb. 42's FPM radio)

If they do decide to convert the ambulance radios, i'd suspect the last 3 numbers will be 000. Ex (i5042000...Amb. 42 apparatus radio ?)

The OEMC is coming up as ID 65535, while the apparatus are all coming up as ID 1. Each individual console at the OEMC has an ID starting as i911xxx. X's represent each console. Right now, i911009 is EMS North-Dispatch and i911010 is EMS South Dispatch.
Radio Techs are extensively testing again today, and are getting all the OEMC consoles on line. ID's i911003 and i911004 are popping up on the OEMC channel.

EMS Field Chiefs have ID's i4xxx001...X's represent which Field Chief it is. Ex (i4453001-453's portable)That's what I have so far, if anyone has additional information, please add on.

Some additional Radio ID information for those that want to text tag.

i6xxx001...Command Staff with 3 number radio signatures Ex: (i6213001...Fire Commisioner (2-1-3) portable)

i6xxxx01...Command Staff with 4 number radio signatures Ex: (i6441201...Asst. Dept. Chief Paramedic (4-4-12) portable)

i90000 series...seems to be the pattern for spare portable radios so far...

Motorola Radio Techs are working now at the OEMC to increase the audio on the dispatch end of things. Very and only common complaint so far.

****System has to be in ID Search Mode to function.****

Picked up a Radio ID today for an ALS Engine..Engine 129 and Engine 74 tested on the digital today and came up as :
i1129005, i1074005....That shows radio #5 for the Engine (Firefighter/Paramedic), so it looks like the pattern will be the same when the Fire Companies make the switch...i1129001, i1074001 (Officer's Radio)...i112900x., i107400x...x represents each firefighter on the company. Awaiting for an ALS Truck to test and will be able to start setting up my ARC software for Radio ID's for this system.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Digital Continues

I've been monitoring the system for the past few days with very few problems. We seem to have some "user issues" with our BLS Ambulances (Amb's. 80-94) trying to figure out what to do. The personnel are Firefighters/EMT's so they don't ride the ambualnce every day, and forgot to read the memo..lol.
Motorola Techs are at the OEMC to address the low-audio on some of their consoles/dispatchers. I've been catching testing on the OEMC channel, and ID's are all coming up i911xx. These are probably going to be the Fire-Main and Fire Englewood consoles.
Still awaiting to catch an ALS Truck doing a test on the new channels. I'm going to assume they will come up as i13xx005, or i13xxxx05. For some of the ol timers will remember the telegraph key will represent the Trucks. Battalion Chiefs will "probably" come up the same way, bit with a different first number. I won't confuse everyone just yet...lol

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The OEMC is coming up as ID 65535, while the apparatus are all coming up as ID 1.

This has to be the most daunting task of monitoring this system. Unlike Trunking systems where it's one ID per Talkgroup, this system is using 1 Talkgroup for dispatch , another Talkgroup for the mobiles. Reminds me of trying to listen to Yellow Cab back in the day...lol. I have tweaked this over and over, with Delay settings and System Hold to 0. I've tried this on my 996T as well and noticed missing some reply transmissions at times. I'm sure it's for the same reason, but the 996T doesn't display the talkgroups in single-channel P25 systems. I've tried turning off the Radio ID's feature as well and has no effect. Not sure if this is "typical" of one channel P25 systems, or unique to CFD. Other than this minor bump in the road, it's functioning as planned. Had a few major incidents already, so we know it works...

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Programming Tips

Quite a few days of monitoring have resulted in many changes to my programming to get this system to be user friendly to the CFD monitors out there. Thank you to the ARC software or i'd be pulling my hair out here...lol. For the past three days (this has been the longest run with NO changes), I have finally concluded the best way is to set it up similar to rbtlkamp has it set up with a little tweek. I have discovered alot of missing replies as a result of too many Radio ID Groups.Because this system uses one ID for mobiles and one ID for Dispatch, this is what causes most of the issues.

Here's my programming of the "new" CFD Digital System:

System : EMS-Digital (ID Scan)

Site: EMS-Digital (I know, not too creative..LOL),,ALL radio ID's programmed here.

Delay, System Hold all set to 0.

Frequencies: 477.5125, 478.4625, 476.6875

I have all ID's in one Group (1)...name EMS Comps

I have set up Fire Digital with the remaining frequencies in one system. It appears you won't need all 4 or 5 firefighters Radio ID's when they switch as you will probably only hear the Officer and the Engineer talk one time or another. When I can get a few more ID's, i'll start programming the fire companies, Battalion Chiefs etc. So far i'm hearing all replies to the conversations. This sounds very similar to the radios that are in use.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
A little footnote.....

I've mentioned this before, but if it appears you're not hearing replies after the ambulances or other companies speak, it's not your scanner (Monitored on 796D, 2096, 996T) , the repeater intermittenly "hangs up"...in other words it sounds like a 2 second open key at times . I tried monitoring on the other digital scanners I have, and if I didn't have the Radio ID feature (XT models), and actually see the ID holding, i'd think something was wrong with the way I programmed it. Like I said before, this system uses 1 Talkgroup for mobiles, and 1 for dispatch. I checked around the boards and searched for P25 single channel trunk to find out if this was common, and have yet to find any posts related to this. If one Talkgroup was used for both sides, it would sound perfect.
I hope my posting ramblings have helped or will help someone who is monitoring or plans on monitoring this system. I know their isn't as much interest in the system as it's strictly EMS. If you are a big CFD monitor, most here are fire buffs I know, it would be a good idea to get your digital scanner ready to go. Phase 2 will come soon. EMS has proven it works. We would never be able to "go portable" with the current analog system the was we have with the digital. I've been posting for years that they have numerous receiver sites, and based upon it's performance, it works. I heard the other day, all fire companies will be reporting for portable "digital radio" issuance. Engines will have a side radio (pump-side) , that will have a digital capabilities once the trial period is over. Battalion Chiefs, Deputy District Chiefs, EMS Field Chiefs already have Motorola XTL 5000's installed, but not programmed for the digital stuff yet.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
30 Day Evaluation Complete

I've been out of town since Sunday, Analog channels are back up as the primary (for now).

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
More tidbits...

Oxygen Treatment Bus (8-8-11) went in-service as of April 23rd at Engine 44's Quarters (412 N. Kedzie). I have seen this bus and it's an old CTA bus with oxygen ports throughout. It will be dispatched on all Still and Box/EMS Plan 1 Subway Fires, Level 3/EMS Plan 3's, Hospital Evacuations, Power Outages at nursing homes, assisted living facilties, high-rises or hospitals. They may be requested at any response where the Incident Commander feels the need. Also available for MABAS responses (Let your chiefs know).
The response would be 8-8-11 with a Fire Suppression Compnay to a scene. An ALS Ambulance would then be dispatched and the ALS ambulance officer would be re-classified as the Oxygen Team Bus Leader. The Fire company would remain at the scene until released with the bus.
Today 6 additional ALS Fire Compnaies went in-service. Engine 18, 30, 50, 78 (Wrigley Field), Truck 36, Truck 40.
Ok...saved the best for last. This is not a joke, but all fire companies will be getting Pet Oxygen Masks to be applied to pets that are in respiratory distress after a fire. No CPR just 15L oxygen and after 15 minutes, I guess we can pronounce the pet. Animal Control is then to be notified, I thought i've seen and heard it all, but this has topped it for me.

acepilot340

Evaluation

I would say it went as expected, I never scanned IN the city, but I'm sure it worked just fine. The true test is inside a burning building with a lot of background noise that digital radios seem to pick up making it hard to hear.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I would say it went as expected, I never scanned IN the city, but I'm sure it worked just fine. The true test is inside a burning building with a lot of background noise that digital radios seem to pick up making it hard to hear.

Actually no this isn't a problem. Motorola installed some noise-suppression software and the background noise is not a factor, like you hear on Starcom. I opened the window, had the siren going, then proceeded to talk and they heard me fine. The siren noise was there, but didn't cover my voice. They aren't going to be using the repeater channels for firegound operations, but analog UHF is what i've been told. They have OPS Channels set aside for this. Next up, fire side get's to test it out...this should be fun!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
EMS Analog Issues

EMS-South has been on a stand-by transmitter most of today. Issues began yesterday as the OEMC wasn't transmitting. The ol beast is breaking down....bring back the digital !

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
New MDC's

Fire companies are reporting to Chicago Communications at 21st Peoria for installation ofnew MDC's. These are the new Panasonic laptops. The newest ambulances also have these. Easier to read for us old guys...lol!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Digital Testing Today

Radio techs testing today on EMS North & South Digital. Field Division South Radio ID coming up as well as i5142486.."mobile test". Doesn't fit any pattern from the 30 day trial, so not sure yet. Hearing a permanent switch-over to occur soon, so this could be it. Radio Shops are going to re-program the radios prior to this with some channel and transmit modifications to occur.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Truck Companies Radio ID"s

Caught Truck 61 (BLS Truck Company), on the EMS-South Digital today calling Amb. 25. They're on the wrong channel for now.

Radio ID: i2061005....

This would tell me the Truck Companies will be using the pattern i2xxx001 pattern. x's represent the Truck Company. The last 3 numbers will be either the Apparatus Radio (000) Officer (001) or EMT-B or EMT-P (005). Firefighters will have radios (002-004).

Engine Companies Radio ID's use the same pattern as described except they start with i1xxxxxx. I guess we can start programming ahead of time..

Status
Not open for further replies.