"Channel" frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way for me to find the frequency for a channel #.

I manually programed my channel 1, so it's not going to be the same as everyone else's channel 1; but people still know what "switch to channel 1" is and can switch to it.

Like when someone says "go to channel 1" or "use channel 1", what is channel 1?
Or where can I find this info?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Have you looked in the database here for the agency you want to program into your scanner?
The frequency or talkgroup that goes in channel 1 will vary depending on the agency. Tell us what agency in what state you're looking for, and someone will post the link to the database entry for it, if you're having trouble finding it.

Circa

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Have you looked in the database here for the agency you want to program into your scanner?
The frequency or talkgroup that goes in channel 1 will vary depending on the agency. Tell us what agency in what state you're looking for, and someone will post the link to the database entry for it, if you're having trouble finding it.

I have the actual frequency numbers, like NOAA is 162.400, but when someone on that channel tells me to go to channel 12, how do I know what frequency to tune to so i can be on their channel 12?

Circa

again What agency??,, again am confused?

Government and Safety Services? Law Enforcement? Fire Departments? EMS Agencies? Police and Fire?

I'm new to this and I don't see anything called "agency" on my RR DB page.

Are those the agencies you're talking about?

n5ims

What we're asking is to have you post a link (like this --> Summit County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference <--) for the city, county, etc. and then having you list specifically which agency in that county (e.g. "Summit County Jail") you're asking about. In my example, "460.21250" would be channel 1 and "460.13750" would be channel 2. Without this level of detail, we really can't give you an answer.

I say this for a simple reason, every agency's radios have different channel assignments. Your local PD has different channels in their radio than your local FD. Both are different than your county sheriff. We're not trying to be hard on you (and I hope we're not coming across that way), but if we guess and give you the information for Norton PD and you need it for Hudson PD our answer simply wouldn't be correct.

Circa

What we're asking is to have you post a link (like this --> Summit County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference <--) for the city, county, etc. and then having you list specifically which agency in that county (e.g. "Summit County Jail") you're asking about. In my example, "460.21250" would be channel 1 and "460.13750" would be channel 2. Without this level of detail, we really can't give you an answer.

I say this for a simple reason, every agency's radios have different channel assignments. Your local PD has different channels in their radio than your local FD. Both are different than your county sheriff. We're not trying to be hard on you (and I hope we're not coming across that way), but if we guess and give you the information for Norton PD and you need it for Hudson PD our answer simply wouldn't be correct.

Columbiana County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I am assuming the last number in the AlphaTag column would indicate a channel.

What would the channels be for the first one on the FD section (154.07000)?

I don't see any alpha tags with channel numbers, but I've heard them say to switch to at least 3 different channels while I was in range.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
You might want to see if a moderator can move this thread to the Ohio discussion group. Someone local that is familiar with the system would be more likely to see the question and have a better answer.

I don't see any channel tags with the alpha's. So maybe it is something the database does not have yet or maybe there are no "official" channel numbers.

DickH

Columbiana County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I am assuming the last number in the AlphaTag column would indicate a channel.

What would the channels be for the first one on the FD section (154.07000)?

I don't see any alpha tags with channel numbers, but I've heard them say to switch to at least 3 different channels while I was in range.

Channel 1 or 2 or 3, etc. refers to the channel on that exact radio(s). It is different for each Police dept. or fire dept. Only they know which frequency is in their channel 1 or 2 or 3, etc.
Unless someone in your area knows, the only way to find it is to search a range of frequencies after they say to switch.
For example, if their main freq. is 155.31 and they say switch to channel x, then try searching from 155.000 to 156.000. They MIGHT be in that range. If you don't hear them, then the next time they switch try a different range of freqs.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately public safety radio systems are different from standardized nationwide systems. For example, in CB radios channel 1 is 26.965.

In public safety radio, each system and discipline within the system, the frequencies or talkgroup IDs are unique to the entity. Until a scanner listener spends a little time monitoring communications, what is meant by "Channel 1" can be confusing.

Here in Louisville on the MetroSafe Radio system, in Louisville police officer radios, channel 1 corresponds to Talkgroup ID 1. For a Louisville firefighter radio, channel 1 corresponds to Talkgroup ID 201.

More often than not, channels have been assigned "proper names" (for lack of better wording). Every now and then, you'll hear responders use channel numbers rather than those proper names.

For your purposes, there probably isn't any correlation to "Channel" numbers and what you see in the database. The database shows the frequencies that are used in the given county. What position/channel a given frequency is placed in a radio is up to the person controlling the programming of radios.

I wish I had a better/easier answer. You'll probably need to do some listening to your scanner. Once you get used to hearing the voices and where they show up after they switch over to a channel they are told to go to, things will likely fall into place.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
This used to be the fun part of scanning, back in the days before DBs like this.

Scan all the frequencies for your area and/or search the band they use, and when they say switch listen for them on another frequency.

Sometimes other channels operate in simplex (no repeater) and may only be heard if nearby.

ecps92

SEARCH ? :roll: Why, RR and the FCC have it all :D
If it's not here, then it must not be worth listening to :twisted:

This used to be the fun part of scanning, back in the days before DBs like this.

Scan all the frequencies for your area and/or search the band they use, and when they say switch listen for them on another frequency.

Sometimes other channels operate in simplex (no repeater) and may only be heard if nearby.

The actual radio channel number will change radio to radio and agency to agency. Even if you were to know that exact frequency at each radio channel, I doubt it would be the same on each radio.
At my agency we used to have several different radios when he had conventional frequencies. Every radio was programmed different. Some radio had more “channels” than others. We had officers that only had 6 channel radios. We did have some 2 channel radios, but those were rarely used. Other radios had 16, 32, 48 channels. The squad radios were capable of many more channels. The radios were with the frequencies that the Officer needed.

The fire departments used colors instead of Channel Numbers. Now we all have radio with multiple channels. But, The channel order is different for each agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.