Charlotte area - new P25 system?

CLTscanner

Hey Everybody, I've been trying to identify a new system that I noticed a while back, never really had much traffic to identify it with. Now I'm afraid it's gone.

The system has been running the last 4 years, and then yesterday I noticed that scanner is no longer decoding the control channel. There is data traffic on the frequency I can hear it in analog mode, but nothing will decode.
Is it a data system now? Is it possible to encrypt a control channel??? Is that even a thing?
I live in East Charlotte and the signal is coming in strong. The frequency is 857.2875

Below is a quick timeline that I have put together.

> September 2019 - I noticed the system came up on the air with some occasional keyups.
Traffic was always on tg:64001, tg:64002, or tg:64006
They never made mention of many details and couldn't figure out who it is.

> March 2020 - All traffic on the system ceased. (Start of the pandemic) So I figured the users went home.

> October 2021 - I was able to see some more keyups on 64006. Some talk of moving a bunch of trailers and a generator.

> July 2023, the control channel went away for about a week, but came back online.

> August 2023 - I can no longer decode the control channel, but there is traffic on the frequency.

Disclaimer, I haven't monitored this system 100% of the time, but if I was home it would be in my scan list. I'm sure I'm missed many conversations over time. Also, I'm not sure when exactly it came online, I noticed it in September 2019.

Any help to identify or any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hey Everybody, I've been trying to identify a new system that I noticed a while back, never really had much traffic to identify it with. Now I'm afraid it's gone.

The system has been running the last 4 years, and then yesterday I noticed that scanner is no longer decoding the control channel. There is data traffic on the frequency I can hear it in analog mode, but nothing will decode.
Is it a data system now? Is it possible to encrypt a control channel??? Is that even a thing?
I live in East Charlotte and the signal is coming in strong. The frequency is 857.2875

Did you ever copy the WACN and System ID? That is the best way to ID a system. Did you search the FCC database for frequency license in that area?

It could be Duke Energy, they have several licenses for that frequency. It could be the old Open Sky system or the new P25 Phase 2 system it is just beginning to expand and may have been active for testing. The control channel on this system is the new TDMA Phase 2 control channel which is found on some Harris systems and current scanners can not decode properly.

CLTscanner

I found my notes. I don't think this is right, but the WACN was coming across as: 91F14.
System ID: 14

I'm always accustomed for the WACN to be BEE00, so I'm not sure that's right.

I was using a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner to monitor, but now I can't get any control channel info.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
If the WACN is always in this format 91F14 its a Harris System. Motorola most of the time are always BEE00

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
that means they are moving from there open sky format

It has been talked about in the forums for two years now, yes they are moving and yes that is Duke's WACN.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused by this comment. I have a Phase2 capable scanner that supports TDMA. I was receiving traffic until last week.
What do you mean scanners can't decode TDMA systems???
That is not what I said. I said it's a TDMA Control Channel, which scanners cannot decode.

CLTscanner

@BigLebowski @RaleighGuy
Okay, I'm following you guys now. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

My scanner can support TDMA voice channels, not TDMA control channels. Well shucks.
That sucks. I 'future' purchased a TDMA scanner for the Charlotte UASI system for when they go phase2, now there is even newer technology.

CLTscanner

So, is it reasonable to think that they have now converted this site to "TDMA Control Channel" hence the reason why I can no longer decode anything...?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So, is it reasonable to think that they have now converted this site to "TDMA Control Channel" hence the reason why I can no longer decode anything...?

Most likely, Duke is making this change around the country using the 91F14 WACN, see link in post #7 above. DSD+ FL tracks it I believe, but scanners will need a FW update (after manufacturers write one) before they will be able to decode it.

CLTscanner

Since TDMA Control Channel is the new thing, what can I use to monitor these systems?

I'm assuming I need to use a computer, with SDR receiver and software... (I'm not a very computer savvy person, so what would be the best thing for me?)
Can someone point me to options? Is there an existing thread on this subject?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Since TDMA Control Channel is the new thing, what can I use to monitor these systems?

I'm assuming I need to use a computer, with SDR receiver and software... (I'm not a very computer savvy person, so what would be the best thing for me?)

I have not seen a thread on it but this lists the software known to decode it.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Back in 2020 or 2021 when I lived NWFL area some counties that way were setting up the new system. I decide to make a file (using a sds100) for each county that I was going through and didn't see nothing happening. Appear the Control Channel sends out a ENC TDMA. One day DSDPlus had a update and when I drove the counties I stop somewhere and run dsdplus and some sites use 3 to 5 if no more freqs for each site.

reconrider8

if you can buy the sdr and have a computer thats good enough to run dsd+fl someone including myself can help you ser it up to monitor the system.. side note youll have to buy dpd+fl also but its not expensive total between the sdr and dsd

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
From personal experience, I highly recommend the Nooelec brand, that is what I run for my calls platform feed and use for other things. I think I have 7 or 8 of them now. They work great with all SDR software including DSD+ FL, SDR#, and Unitrunker V2. And, the V5 dongle adds increased frequency spread and better performance.