Chattanooga Regional P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulio

Premium Subscriber
Cleveland simulcasting

Christian, I have noticed the "clunk" on the Walker Co dispatcher also. Seems as if it started a couple of weeks ago. The Rhea Co sheriff dispatch has a short squelch tail and the Cleveland PD dispatch has a chirp at the end of the transmission, though this could be related to Cleveland simulcasting on their old VHF high freq.

I will try turning off the digital AGC to see if this helps w/ Walker Co.

Scotty

How and why is Cleveland PD doing this simulcasting. Are they going to change over completely or use both systems. What is the purpose of this or is this just testing? The BCSO nor any of the other agencies are doing this? just curious, Thanks

CFD288

Cleve PD started simulcasting on their old VHF freq and new TVRTS 800 last fall. Don't know if there is a testing purpose or if it's just a slow, cautious migration over to TVRTS. They started with dispatching totally on 800 just on weekends and then started full time simulcasting on both old & new freqs a few weeks later. BCSO is not on 800 yet (at least I haven't heard them) nor Cleve FD. Bradley Co EMS shows up every so often dispatching on 800 for a while then they go back to their old VHF freqs. Bradley Co Fire uses 800 for talkaround and admin.

I would assume that at some point Cleve PD will switchover fully to 800. Someone else on here may have more info than me.

Scotty

amedik

Thanks Scotty
I have heard Bradley Co EMS on TVRS but never on their old VHF frequency What was it? Also am hearing more and more Bradley Co F-R on TVRS as well. I have also heard some tac / ops talk from BCSo on TVRS as well. So it is getting busier.
Alan

ButchGone

Bradley County EMS is using an unlicensed frequency, 150.865 or 150.8675' whichever it is. They have not used the frequencies published in RR data base in who knows how long.
BG..

WX4EMT

Bradley acquired the license(s) from Jon Eaves when he went out of business years ago. (Not sure how) The frequencies are the old PE / PY VHF mobile phone pairs.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
TVRCS Radio ID's (RID Display Function on GRE PSR-500)

Anyone have a listing of Radio ID's (RIDs) for use with the GRE PSR-500 feature that can display these?

Primarily interested in Fire Apparatus, but will take anything you got.

PM's are fine...

Thanks in advance

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
It appears that CPD has now shut down 154.785 mHz. I have not heard a sound on it in days. After nearly four decades (1973, I think), we can call it the end of an era.

CFD288

It appears that CPD has now shut down 154.785 mHz. I have not heard a sound on it in days. After nearly four decades (1973, I think), we can call it the end of an era.

I think you're right Richard....I've been used to hearing CPD on both 154.785 and 800 but now that you mention it, the old freq has been quiet the past few days. I remember thinking when they switched from the old 37.26 low to 154.785 high and repeaters way back when that "Cleveland sure is a big place now!".

Truly an end of an era. They sure got their money's worth out of that equipment!

Scotty

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
My impression is that CPD dispatchers are having to ask officers to repeat their transmissions far more often than on the old VHF system. I have heard several officers make reference to unintelligible transmissions that sound "like a robot." As all of us "old timer" listeners know, you learn just about as much from a tone of voice as you learn from what is actually said. I detect a growing tone of disgust with TVRTS. BCEMS has apparently already ceased their intermittent dispatching on TVRTS. My prediction is that the use of TVRTS for CPD dispatching purposes will quietly end (unannounced, of course), and we will awaken one morning very soon to find the old faithful 154.785 mHz up and running strong.

Last edited:

ButchGone

For what it's worth richard4537312, Cleveland's fire chief said they will stay on VHF because they like being able to switch to 156.075 simplex for in building fire ground comms since people on the repeater can hear the portables too. He called it a "safety issue." Either CFD does not want to use a 700/800 simplex channel, which they easily could like Chattanooga does, or they were not happy with in building coverage. He also said their department can not afford spending $3,000 per radio. I asked about having to convert VHF analog to a narrowband transmission and he's not sure about that yet.
There are some other public safety department heads in the area who think the FCC is mandating digital within two years, which they are not.
A lot of confusion still out there and some departments are not aware that they can indeed stay on VHF analog if they like.
I too was wondering why Bradley County EMS stopped using the 700/800 system, they are VHF only now.
Bradley County fire uses the P25 system for chit chat, or admin stuff, but they also still use VHF analog for day to day.
Will be interesting to see what eventually shakes out.
BG..

CFD288

My impression is that CPD dispatchers are having to ask officers to repeat their transmissions far more often than on the old VHF system. I have heard several officers make reference to unintelligible transmissions that sound "like a robot." As all of us "old timer" listeners know, you learn just about as much from a tone of voice as you learn from what is actually said. I detect a growing tone of disgust with TVRTS. BCEMS has apparently already ceased their intermittent dispatching on TVRTS. My prediction is that the use of TVRTS for CPD dispatching purposes will quietly end (unannounced, of course), and we will awaken one morning very soon to find the old faithful 154.785 mHz up and running strong.

Richard4537312, I agree that there are "numerous" times both CPD dispatchers and officers are telling each other that they are unreadable and to repeat their transmission. Also strongly agreee about the voice "tone inflection" on dispatches. I'm with the CFD and when the tones go off I listen closely to the dispatcher's voice to see if I can detect any urgency.

Don't know about BCEMS, they have come and gone numerous times on 800. Sure seems like they do not care for it.

Scotty

CFD288

For what it's worth richard4537312, Cleveland's fire chief said they will stay on VHF because they like being able to switch to 156.075 simplex for in building fire ground comms since people on the repeater can hear the portables too. He called it a "safety issue." Either CFD does not want to use a 700/800 simplex channel, which they easily could like Chattanooga does, or they were not happy with in building coverage. He also said their department can not afford spending $3,000 per radio. I asked about having to convert VHF analog to a narrowband transmission and he's not sure about that yet.
There are some other public safety department heads in the area who think the FCC is mandating digital within two years, which they are not.
A lot of confusion still out there and some departments are not aware that they can indeed stay on VHF analog if they like.
I too was wondering why Bradley County EMS stopped using the 700/800 system, they are VHF only now.
Bradley County fire uses the P25 system for chit chat, or admin stuff, but they also still use VHF analog for day to day.
Will be interesting to see what eventually shakes out.
BG..

BG, I agree with you....there's much confusion about what the fed govt is mandating.

Concerning CFD, we have had many commercial fires in the past month in very large structures which caused comms problems with the units inside the building not being able to hit the repeater and communicate with command. The incident commanders have been utilizing the simplex system for better comms. We also use tones to alert the stations and we all know how badly tones sound on digital. I assumed that there could be a simplex 800 set up and that the tones could be "massaged" to work better on 800 but it sounds like there's not much interest in getting this done.

I know that Cleve/Bradley Co are paying $$$$ to be on the TVRTS, just seems to be a waste of resources at this point...both money and radio system.

Scotty

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I would have thought tone paging would be out in favor of data streams. Are you still using pagers too? That would seem to be the only reason not to use a MOSCAD system on a digital system.

CFD288

I would have thought tone paging would be out in favor of data streams. Are you still using pagers too? That would seem to be the only reason not to use a MOSCAD system on a digital system.

Doctree, we still use fire pagers but since we have a full time department they are used just in case there is a large fire and there is a call-back of off duty personnel. 911 also uses text software that sends a message out to all ff's cell phones. The "old" pager tones are used to alert the stations of a fire call but they are not unique tones for each station, the same tones are used to open the radios at all stations simultaneously.

Scotty

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber
I was just going through my FreeSCAN file and I've noticed that some more talk groups have been added to the database. Has anyone found anything interesting (besides DOC) or any new towers?

Status
Not open for further replies.