Ched1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Does anyone else scan the helicopter traffic reports?

Lately I have noticed there is no longer anything from the helicopter on the ED Electronics Trunk system. All the traffic reports have been coming through the 2 conventional simplex frequencies listed in the database. Does anyone know for sure if the ED talkgroups are no longer used.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Yes I scan the Helicopter reports. Until I read your post I had not noticed they had vacated the ED Electronics Motorola trunking System. I have plugged in the two frequencies in the data base and have heard helicopter activity on both of them. I will check out some others in the same area.

I think the ED system was expensive and caused many errors. When 2 or 3 people in the chopper shared Global, CHED, CISN, Joe FM, CJCA, Shine FM, Cool 880 and the Control channel often they missed reports due to the timing or were on the wrong talk group. They would also have to pay ED for air time on each station base and the mobile units in the helicopter and the ground unit they use if they are grounded.

Are you hearing reports from all these mostly Corus stations on the two UHF channels are should we be looking for more?

Harry

SCPD

QRT
Oops .. guess that isn't accurate anymore. That is the info I had .. but it is a downlink from the chopper which is on the ED system, which they are not using anymore.

Sorry .. I will update my records.

SCPD

QRT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I have plugged in the other frequencies licensed to Corus from TAFL to see what else pops up. So far nothing. I originally stumbled on the UHF downlinks one day when my close call started going off with CHED1 flying overhead.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
not sure if this is related to this or not but lately i have noticed there is alot less picket-fencingon the audio from ched/global1 while doing their traffic reports could this be related to the change to uhf?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm I would have thought it would have been the opposite. The old 800 Mhz trunked system provided them coverage on about 8 different talk groups even when they were on the ground. This past while they have been grounded 33 days because of weather. They are down to two UHF Simplex channels but if they have a high enough receiving antenna that could be resulting in better quality. Much cheaper using your own exsisting system than paying a provider for each radio each month plus air time. I880 also does traffic in the non peak times so that would have been quite a bit of airtime.

Harry

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There were quite a few times listening to CHED in the moring going to work were the picket-fencing was so bad it would start to effect the audio quality on air. You would think that with where the EDElectronics site is that this would not happen with CHED1 operating in the city limits at the alltitude they fly at regardless what band/system/method that they were using to provide the studio link.

Status
Not open for further replies.