Chicago Fire Dept. 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
What great work you are doing with all that is going on in Chicago. I payed a quick visit on Thursday and heard techs doing testing on TG 1. Was odd to see that number. But I would like to add a question that dates back. You gave instructions on programming the new digital channels as a trunked system????? maybe not. It allows you to see the id's for each unit. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm sure I am. When the new channels are activated can I simply add them like a conventional channel? Each freq individually, like I listen now? Seems like everyone is going to learn new ways to monitor the CFD.

Again, great job with the work you are doing above and beyond. Let me know if I am missing something within my post.

Thanks

Glad we can help. Depending on the model scanner you're using depends on how you program. The "T" Uniden models do not have the Radio ID feature. If you are programming an "XT" Uniden Model, program as a One Frequency Trunk Channel. On the GRE models....someone can help i'm sure.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
U-TAC Testing Today

Some testing today on UTAC Channel 40-D (453.2125..CTCSS 156.7) today. It was a weak signal, but the repeater was hit. Also Ambulance C-144 (RID i5144009) was being tested on the EMS channels.

oemctx4

Thursday and heard techs doing testing on TG 1. Was odd to see that number. But I would like to add a question that dates back.

When programming an Motorola's Astro radios if you don't assign a "talk group ID" in that personality it will use automatically assign it to TG1. And if talk groups where being really used in the system all talk groups can hear the radio transmitting on TG1 it works kinda like "talk groups announcement". I hope that makes sense the non technical folks
Don #4

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
When programming an Motorola's Astro radios if you don't assign a "talk group ID" in that personality it will use automatically assign it to TG1. And if talk groups where being really used in the system all talk groups can hear the radio transmitting on TG1 it works kinda like "talk groups announcement". I hope that makes sense the non technical folks
Don #4

During the 30 day evaluation period for EMS, the ambulances were using Talkgoup 1, while the OEMC used Talkgroup 65535. That seems to still be the same from what i've seen. That is a problem wile monitoring as you may miss reply "quick" transmissions as it scans the Radio ID's and Talkgroups. If this happens to be on the drawing board for the firmware update, it would be quite helpful to eliminate Talkgroups all together for single channel trunk systems.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the help and replies. I am both experienced and non-technical when it comes to the new digital era and digital trunking. I can see how, if you program the 396xt as a single channel trunked you can get the TG's and/or the uid's. That must have been what I was picking up for TG 1. So .... I can still program my xt with the new digital channels in a conventional system as listen "as usual" when this all statrs up, correct? Whenever that happens. (big smile) I just won't get the uid's.

Again thanks. I'll be paying attention to what is going on.

oemctx4

So do you guys have to treat the 6 new digital channels like a digital trunking system in the scanner in order to see the radio ids? With a xts or xtl or astro saber or any other p25 radio we can just scan the 6 channels and see the radio ids if you have that enabled. So that talk group stuff doesn't affect us at all. I m not sure how that happen in the profile which sounds like a pain for scanner users. I have noticed that when listening to scanner the audio has a lot of digital anomalies that a real radio sound smooth. I don't have a digital scanner was thinking about getting one to listen to more starcom21 stuff. Which handheld scanner would you guys recommend?
I'm on my tablet which can be a pain to type on lol!
Don #4

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So do you guys have to treat the 6 new digital channels like a digital trunking system in the scanner in order to see the radio ids? With a xts or xtl or astro saber or any other p25 radio we can just scan the 6 channels and see the radio ids if you have that enabled. So that talk group stuff doesn't affect us at all. I m not sure how that happen in the profile which sounds like a pain for scanner users. I have noticed that when listening to scanner the audio has a lot of digital anomalies that a real radio sound smooth. I don't have a digital scanner was thinking about getting one to listen to more starcom21 stuff. Which handheld scanner would you guys recommend?
I'm on my tablet which can be a pain to type on lol!
Don #4

You can program each channel seperately, but in order to receive it properly, it must be programmed as a single channel trunked system. In the previous "T" model Unidens, you programmed it as a Digital convential channel, but would not be able to receive the Radio ID's. Now, if we can just combine both of these features, it would be a winner.

As far as the audio anomalies you mention, I don't have that issue on any of my scanners. I'm within the city limits, the signal is strong and the only time I hear the garble, the end user hears the same garble. The Starcom multi-path/simulcast/CPQSK modulation issue sounds like it will be resolved, or attempted to be resolved, in the next firmware update coming soon. It's my understanding, GRE scanners have this same issue so hoping Uniden will beat them to the punch. If you're looking for a tabletop type of scanner, I suggest the 996XT. For handheld, it's similar counterpart is the 396XT. If this modulation issue gets resolved, these two scanners will be the cream of the crop.

oemctx4

So have you figuired out the difference between the black radios and the public safety yellow ones. Since it is a simulcast system you should not be using c4fm modulation. Thanks for the scanner info I think ill wait a little longer. Most of what I listen to I just use a radio.
Don

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So have you figuired out the difference between the black radios and the public safety yellow ones. Since it is a simulcast system you should not be using c4fm modulation. Thanks for the scanner info I think ill wait a little longer. Most of what I listen to I just use a radio.
Don

Difference....hmm, color? Checked through all the channels.....check. No issue with receiving it...

JT-112

... The Starcom multi-path/simulcast/CPQSK modulation issue sounds like it will be resolved, or attempted to be resolved, in the next firmware update coming soon. It's my understanding, GRE scanners have this same issue so hoping Uniden will beat them to the punch. ...

Ah, cool, thanks for the heads-up on this, I've pretty much written off using a scanner - any scanner, as both GRE and Uniden have the exact same issues - on any multicast P25 systems. I'm sure Motorola has been chuckling about this poor reception issue for a while now.

I went over to the Uniden forum and sure enough, there was thread on what appears to be this topic. However, the Uniden rep Paul was cagey as always and didn't specifically mention what the fix would be for, so if it's not for this issue, expect another kerfluffle around it, and if the fix isn't effective, then expect a different kerfluffle.

Then again, if they do fix it, someone will then recognize that they could have fixed it a long time ago, and didn't. But if it is addressed, I'll be in the market again for the first time in a long time.

I also am bemused about how some individuals seem to think that because they don't have a problem listening to simulcast P25, then no one does. Perhaps they just don't leave their basement, where somehow they've got good reception (it happens). Or how a 12-element yagi fixes reception - yeah, that will work when I'm mobile... Or the fact they're not actually listening to a simulcast system, so of course it sounds fine... and on it goes.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have three digital base scanners and three outdoor antennas up 35' with LMR400 coax...One RS197 hears T101-Dupage well facing NE...One RS197 hears T119-Will Co well facing "E", and the 996XT hears T102-So Cook and T125-Grundy Co very well facing NW....Since they just added 4 more towers to the T101-Dupage for the added coverage in Dupage the 996XT is very bad on T101-Dupage....Man, this is trickey and as mentioned i hope the firmware upgrade to the 996XT helps....

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Help me...

So I just decided to go ahead and put in the new (future) frequencies into my 396XT. I am using FreeScan to do the work for me. Only problem is it isn't doing it. I downloaded the Fire and EMS future freqs. (conventional & P25) and all that I got were the conventional with my download. I just went ahead and programmed the six P25 freqs. in myself and then set them as digital. Doing that still does not allow me to set the NAC of 293, what am I doing wrong? Figured I would just ask and keep it simple instead of getting my panties in a bunch, so to speak.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
So I just decided to go ahead and put in the new (future) frequencies into my 396XT. I am using FreeScan to do the work for me. Only problem is it isn't doing it. I downloaded the Fire and EMS future freqs. (conventional & P25) and all that I got were the conventional with my download. I just went ahead and programmed the six P25 freqs. in myself and then set them as digital. Doing that still does not allow me to set the NAC of 293, what am I doing wrong? Figured I would just ask and keep it simple instead of getting my panties in a bunch, so to speak.

The Digital frequencies must be programmed as "P25 One Freqency Trunk". Uder the Trunk System set up screen at the bottom, it should allow you to put the NAC Code in...

oemctx4

Sorry if I started a P25 scanner discussion. Well I've learned a few things anyways. There is a hardware difference between those 2 colors.
Ron when listening to the City's fire digital T band system the antennas are not up super high 100 to 125 feet since it's a multiple site simulcast system. Transmitter's power output is lower with smaller base stations and transmitter combiner network losses. Compare to some of the other systems we have...

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
"oemctx4 your correct on CPD digital coverage, it seems im really stretching the rubber band trying to copy the digital 35 miles SW of the city...We all know its not like analog....Maybe i will have to move closer!!!!!....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
March 31st, 2012...

The Fire Museum of Greater Chicago will have a special display on Saturday, March 31st from 1000 to 1400 hours that will activate a 911 call to the Main FAO that will go toa 2-11 with joker stand, radio, speaker and fire gound communications heard and explain how dispatch was done witout computers. Old timers and candidates are invited to bring family and friends/neighbors to see how we did it "in the old days" The FMGC is at 5218 S Western AVenue and parking is free. Please remember this is YOUR museum and your history.

oemctx4

Where is Asheville at? I've never heard of it, good luck in your move. Your gonna miss all the fun around here. There are so cool things to come very soon!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I heard 271 calling main today on the New system.No answer.. Must have grabbed the wrong mic

Status
Not open for further replies.