• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CHIRP radio programming software ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Anybody know Chirp well enough to say what and where the configuration file is ?
Starts and runs on my Win 10 machine but I need it on my XP bench machine where I get error "CHIRP application failed to start because the configuration is incorrect."
Can't get help on CHIRP website as it won't let me log in and no direct contact link.
73s

nd5y

Search for a file named chirp.config.
I don't know the location it would be in on a Windows system. It should be somewhere in your username folder.

nosig55

I get "application configuration is incorrect" when I try to run CHIRP

The full error message as seen by the user is: "Application cannot run because application configuration is incorrect"

This is a problem with your Windows XP machine and its standard libraries. Most users seem to be able to resolve this issue by downloading the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package.

merlin

I get "application configuration is incorrect" when I try to run CHIRP

The full error message as seen by the user is: "Application cannot run because application configuration is incorrect"

This is a problem with your Windows XP machine and its standard libraries. Most users seem to be able to resolve this issue by downloading the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package.
I am thinking it is the lack of the 2008 dot net runtime, that is what I am looking into now but was sure I have that on the XP machine.
List all my dot net versions it fills a page.
TNX

merlin

Search for a file named chirp.config.
I don't know the location it would be in on a Windows system. It should be somewhere in your username folder.
No such animal on the machine. Chirp SW dot XXX files are like nothing you have seen save for dot DLL.
IE: PYD, XSD. SH, and such.

K9RPL

No such animal on the machine. Chirp SW dot XXX files are like nothing you have seen save for dot DLL.
IE: PYD, XSD. SH, and such.

Actually there is a chirp.config. It's in the C:/Users/username/Appdata/Roaming/CHIRP folder. It's hidden though and not much in it. Just some saved info like Radio, Commport, last file edited, bandplan, columns etc.

merlin

Actually there is a chirp.config. It's in the C:/Users/username/Appdata/Roaming/CHIRP folder. It's hidden though and not much in it. Just some saved info like Radio, Commport, last file edited, bandplan, columns etc.
This is on an XP machine so such directory doesn't exist. that is my bench computer for radio programming and JTAGing.
Might be forced to build up an FTDI USB interface on the Win10 machine.
73s

K9RPL

This is on an XP machine so such directory doesn't exist. that is my bench computer for radio programming and JTAGing.
Might be forced to build up an FTDI USB interface on the Win10 machine.
73s

Wow, Old School... I doubt Chirp treats XP any different and there's probably a chirp.config sitting in a hidden folder.

Good luck though..

9Track

The equivalent location in XP is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\CHIRP

You may have to enable showing invisible files.

merlin

The equivalent location in XP is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\CHIRP

You may have to enable showing invisible files.
Hence my problem, there is no "Chirp" folder in this directory, and yes, I show all files and folders.

merlin

This problem has been solved with the installation of V4 dot net framework/runtime. The config file is in the documents foler containing a CHIRP folder.
This runs just fine, but no provisions for this commercial radio stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.